Thread: What do you make of this?

Basic Member

What do you make of this?

http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...223-mile-3.php

Think something like that is possible? Quite a feat if you ask me
    They can run, but they'll only die tired.

Basic Member
    Anything is possible I suppose. If anyone wanted to shoot to a mile however, the 223 wouldn't be my first recommendation.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    There have been attempts to go over niagra falls in a barrel also. I think some actually made it.
    I guess some great minds just prefer shooting.

Yes, I do think it is possible. I haven't tried it yet but I know what I have done with 15"-18" barrels at 1k+. There is a lot of information passed around on the interwebs that simply isn't true and the more it gets said the more it gets taken as true. Most of the time it is from people who just haven't shot enough to know.
    More shooting, less typing.

The barrel would have to be a 6 twist, and I did not see the bullet drop mentioned anywhere,it must be 1000 inches, no that is not a typo.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Did quick search ballistics Calc This is what I came up with for 1000 yards with .223 Remington, Remington Metal Case, 55gr

Drop (inches) Velocity Energy Time (milliseconds)
    691.7547 783 75 2321
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Yes, I do think it is possible. I haven't tried it yet but I know what I have done with 15"-18" barrels at 1k+. There is a lot of information passed around on the interwebs that simply isn't true and the more it gets said the more it gets taken as true. Most of the time it is from people who just haven't shot enough to know.
    All very true Jamie. Its also true that many of us enjoyed taking the things we made to show our mothers to hear her praises.
    Its also true some never outgrow that need. Even if it means trying to scarfe down the most hot dogs or shoot a 223 to a mile.
    Getting a name in a record book is extremly important to lots of people.

Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
    Did quick search ballistics Calc This is what I came up with for 1000 yards with .223 Remington, Remington Metal Case, 55gr

Drop (inches) Velocity Energy Time (milliseconds)
    691.7547 783 75 2321
    So that is almost 700 inches for 1K, imagine the remaining 760 yards when it is totally out of steam, with no energy or velocity left, it has to be double that of 1K, wouldn't it be Ironic if it had 1760 inches of drop @ 1760 yards.LOL

Dean

PS: none the less it is still a feat, I just lose interest as soon as the bullet starts dropping.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post

PS: none the less it is still a feat, I just lose interest as soon as the bullet starts dropping.
    well we all knew it would happen Dean doesn't wanna shoot anymore because he can't find a fast enough cartridge and all his bullets start to drop when they leave the barrel. ROTFLMAO
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    It's still pretty crazy.. That's a hard enough chore for any round let alone a 223! The stuff I find on the internet because you know anything you read on the internet is true and you know where I read that??? The internet lol
    They can run, but they'll only die tired.

Mach2
    In SC you are lucky to find a range where you can shoot 200yds unless you can hunt on a powerline path. You guys out West have it made to even be talking about shooting a mile never mind being able to do it.
    My spotting scope is 40x but even that would have trouble seeing a hole made by a .223 at a mile. I have a 32X scope on my 17cal just to see the holes at 100 yds.

Basic Member
    The Hornady AMAX 75 gr bullet at ~2950, that's what the man was shooting along with 80 gr, needs a 1:7" twist, drops 2013" at 1760 yards and is going 853 fps at that range. Why not? It's as good a combination as older 30 cal bullets in 308 Win.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteslayer223 View Post
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...223-mile-3.php

Think something like that is possible? Quite a feat if you ask me
    "Under calm conditions, hitting a PD at a mile with this setup would be possible and lethal."

And LUCKY!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    In SC
    My spotting scope is 40x but even that would have trouble seeing a hole made by a .223 at a mile. I have a 32X scope on my 17cal just to see the holes at 100 yds.
    You nailed it right there with that comment. First off on most days you cant even use it on 40x because of mirage and moisture content in the atmosphere.
    If you notice, almost all of these type shots with any cartridge are at rock ledges not the ground itself. Anything that will create a dust cloud.
    Because thats all you will see, the dust cloud not the bullet impact. Over in places like Norway they shoot at large ice croppings so you can see the ice fall in the video.
    Otherwise who would know? If you dont know whats the point? Seeing a dust cloud and seeing a bullet impact which is essential for making corrections are different subjects.
    Dust clouds would be as usefull as vapor trails for sight corrections at serious distances like a mile. Bring lots of ammo because you will need it.