Thread: My New 6.5mm Cal Wildcat

My New 6.5mm Cal Wildcat

It also is based on they RUM case, it is a 30" barrel 10 twist, and you use 6.5 WSM dies for the neck & shoulder, and no fireforming is needed, and a gutted 7mm or 300 RUM full length die, they other two are cases are 264 Win Mag and 260 AI, and of course a 223AI you always got to have a 223 in the pic for dramatic effect, that is a 120gr Nosler in the pic which I will be sending over 4000fps + and 140gr SMKs at 3800fps + well that's my tax return come and gone.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

As you can see I like my RUMs even though they are putting me in the poor house, here is my RUM family

338 Edge, 300, 7mm, 270, 6.5mm, and 25cal,

Thanks Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 05-27-2014 at 05:02 PM.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Man you are bad for my bank account always showing me new ideas. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by 13red56 View Post
    Man you are bad for my bank account always showing me new ideas. Lol
    Bank account, I don't even bother anymore, I just keep what little funds I have in a jar. LOL

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

What? No .224? No 6mm?

Youre not finished yet.....
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

To funnel 110gr of powder though a 6mm or a 22 cal they would have make new powders like H10000 or RL100.LOL

Dean

You are a busy man with all these new wildcats. Impressive though.

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Bank account, I don't even bother anymore, I just keep what little funds I have in a jar. LOL

Dean
    LOL good point but the living paycheck to paycheck is killer though. Bahahahaha

Basic Member
    Very interesting. I just sent a barrel and reamer off to Apache Gun works to have it rechambered for a 6.5x338 RUM improved called the 6.5 Badger. My though was the 160gr Matrix VLD at a conservative 3600 fps. The only powders I can come up with that will work are US 869 and maybe H50BMG. Let me know when you get yours up and running. I'm anxious to see your results.

Andrew

I am curious why you chose the 338 RUM, instead of the more abundant 300 and 7mm RUM, and necking down a 7mm to 6.5 is really user friendly, to get from .338 down to .264 you are going to have to do it in several steps, 338, 300, 7mm and then to 6.5mm, and like I said I am using 6.5-300 WSM dies what do you intend on using,

Dean

Basic Member
    The idea behind using the 338 case was to keep the OAL short enough to cycle through a long action when using the long VLD bullets. Our case capacities will be very similar. The guy who had the reamer made is a Remington guy and he set it up to feed from a Rem magazine. He's got a few other projects going so I offered to burn up a barrel while doing load development for him. I'm sacrificing an 8" twist 30" Mcgowen in 6.5x47 Lapua. This will be fine for getting a base line on performance.. The final barrel will be a 3 groove 9" twist nitrided Benchmark barrel. No point in smoking a $600+ barrel to do load development!

The brass isn't really that much of a problem. I just push the shoulder back .09" on 300 RUM brass with a 300 SAUM die, then neck down to 7mm and then 6.5. You can actually go from 300 down to 6.5 but I already have 7mm and 6.5 WSM dies so I just go the extra step. I anneal the cases when I'm done and then I'll fire form them once I have the barrel. We have a set of dies coming from CH4D, I'm just impatient.

I was originally going to use the 375 Ruger case for my fast 6.5mm. That makes it much easier to run the long VLD bullets out of a Savage long action and I have 200 375 Ruger cases, and another 200 338/375 Ruger cases. I just figured that the money I saved by using somebody else's reamer would make up for the added brass expense.

Andrew

Makes perfect sense now, your sacrificial barrel might turn better than you think,

Dean