Thread: Action strength ?

Action strength ?

I keep reading and hearing that a 30 barrel is to much for a small shank action but 28 is ok. I looked tonight at the smiths and there was 3 of them in his place and he said he hasnt heard any complaints .He told me two were getting adj cheek rests and other was in for a good cleaning. These are target rifles not hunting rifles. Mine is getting a 30 but 2 inches being cut off for a brake job. So I can use a brake when out giving coyotes a hard time and just a thread protector when shooting at a match. Who has run this setup and issues

Is there any kind of testing or some kind of proof to support this. Im just curious if this is a real issue

Lets start over,what rifle do you have or is it a complete build.Then tell us what caliber and bullets you want to use.I dont see a problem with a 30 inch barrel,however depending on the actual barrel weight you may need to bed out in front of the lug in the barrel chanel which will help support the weight.I will probably get punished for saying that but it works.PLEASE GIVE US MORE IMFO SO WE CAN HELP YOU. Sorry caps were on.I would definitely need a stock with an aluminum block in it and then a skim bed of the action so it has a constant support platform to fit like a good glove so to speak.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

KRP
    If you are cutting two inches off(not sure why?) to install a brake it's a non issue according to what you've read and heard as you'll have a 28" barrel when done.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    depending on the actual barrel weight you may need to bed out in front of the lug in the barrel chanel which will help support the weight.
    In searching the Internet for info on epoxy-bedding my sporterized military Mauser 98, I've seen people say the same thing about them: Bed the first inch or two forward of the recoil lug. Makes sense.

This one is going to be a 6-284. Short action and a cbi bull. The piece of barrel cut off will be the muzzle brake. The smith has been making his own for a while now, so yes techincally I will have a 28 but the rest of the barrel will be spun back on. So it wont loose that much weight. as for bullets they will all be 95gr and heavier I will have to see what it likes ,its a 8 twist.

Yep it will be bedded out a couple from the action.

I have no worries I know my smith wouldnt knowingly let me screw it together if he know something wouldnt hold up.
    Last edited by bushwackr; 04-08-2014 at 09:10 AM.

I am not worried about my setup , I am just curious if anyone as seen or read something that proves that is to much weight on it