Thread: Bolt binding on AICS magazine

LRJammer

Bolt binding on AICS magazine

I have a custom 260 built on a Stevens 200 action in an AI chassis system. The only problem that I have is that if I rest the rifle on the magazine or exert any upward force on the magazine, such as in shooting from field positions, the bolt jams on the magazine feed lips. I tried some spacers between the action and chassis to see if I could bed the action and gain the needed clearance but then there isnt enough threads left.

Anybody have any experience with this? Any ideas on how to correct this condition?

Basic Member
    I had a similar problem with Accurate-mag. I had to rework the magazines. I wouldn't have thought that a chassis system would have that problem. I don't think you would want to bed a chassis?

Basic Member
    Sounds like a bit of vertical "slop" since this only happens when you apply pressure on the bottom of the mag. If so this could be because the mag release lever is too short, and not holding the mag high enough. Have you tried bending the mag lips lower to gain clearance? I've had the opposite problem with lever too long and pushing mag too high, requiring shortening the lever. This is my first experience with AI Mags; on a new rifle the Accurate fits perfectly but the AI will not even fit into the mag well because it is 0.1" too long.

LRJammer
    When I tried using spacers to get an idea of how much height adjustement it would take, 1/16" in spacers didnt lift it enough. I dont think I want to bend the feed lips that much. I'm sure that would just create another problem to deal with.

Basic Member
    Charlie NC, you are correct. In my case anyway. I had to wield a bead on the magazine at the latch point then file it down to where the release lever would just engage the magazine with the magazine pushed up tight to the action. Then I had to file down the feed lips so that they would clear the bolt and at the same time bend them in to hold the rounds. Its a slow and tedious process and if it isn't done right you'll make the feed lips to short! Also you need a tool that looks like pliers that are about 2" wide so that you can bend the whole lip at once. Mine work fine now.

LRJammer
    Looks like the problem was my Alpha mags. When I use the AI 5 round mag that came with the chassis, there is a little drag on the bolt but it doesnt sieze up the action. There is about 3/32" difference between the top of the feed lips and the top of the body that limits the upward travel between the Alphas and the AI mag. Looks like I didnt save any money on the Alpha mags over AI.

Basic Member
    Amazing that you now say it was Alpha mags and not AICS. There's plenty of chatter on SH about the Alpha mags. Some good but mostly bad.

LRJammer
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    Amazing that you now say it was Alpha mags and not AICS. There's plenty of chatter on SH about the Alpha mags. Some good but mostly bad.
    Dont know what you mean by amazing. I dont typically use the one AI mag that I have that came with the chassis. In trying to figure out a solution, I remembered hearing some comments about issues with Alpha mags. I tried the AI mag and with the weight of the rifle on the mag, there is still some drag but the action will still function. With the Alphas, it just plain locks up. The issues that I had found around the Alphas mainly centered around the angle at which the round would leave the box, ie, they would dive nose down instead of nose up into the chamber. All searches turned up no issues with bolt binding.
    Last edited by LRJammer; 04-13-2014 at 01:58 AM.

emtrescue6
    Another problem is that one should not be allowing weight bearing on the magazines when shooting...this will cause other issues as well. Use enough bags or high enough rest to avoid this.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emtrescue6 View Post
    Another problem is that one should not be allowing weight bearing on the magazines when shooting...this will cause other issues as well. Use enough bags or high enough rest to avoid this.
    I'm sorry but in tactical matches with all the props they use you want a rifle to function all the time and every time. Magazines that are finicky just don't cut it. I have never had a rifle that could not be supported by the magazine until my last one and it now is fixed. It is only caused by poor craftsmanship and the consumer who tolerates it.

LRJammer
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    I'm sorry but in tactical matches with all the props they use you want a rifle to function all the time and every time. Magazines that are finicky just don't cut it. I have never had a rifle that could not be supported by the magazine until my last one and it now is fixed. It is only caused by poor craftsmanship and the consumer who tolerates it.
    Exactly, and a match is exactly where this glaring fault was exposed and it dearly cost me time on several stages. If different mags dont correct the issue, the rifle and I will be parting ways.

Basic Member
    LR, there are smiths that can fix this. I was able to modify mine and the work flawlessly. Most shooters don't care but I did and still do. The games are one thing imagine LEO or Military having to deal with this problem!

LRJammer
    This is my first experience with a tuned Savage. I have to say thus far, I am not really very impressed. I was intrigued by the ability to change barrels/calibers on my own. I got the SSS trigger and it is all in all, a very cheaply made unit. The only thing that the rifle has going for it is accuracy. Feeding and functioning is marginal, even when the aforementioned issues arent in play. I may end up just biting the bullet and just getting one of the new AI ATs. As I get older, I find myself falling into the buy once, cry once camp.

Basic Member
    Well personally I have no gripe with Savage or their product. I thought I new what I wanted when I ordered it but the rifle turned out to be way more than I expected except for the way the mags worked. To me the only thing that could have been better was if it had come with AW mags as I really like the double stack mags and I think Savage could use these without much work to the action. I have ran this gun in 4 tactical matches and 2 of Caleb's shoots and if it was run by a better shooter I know it would do very well. In fact I have not experienced any of the "you know savages' are known for that" kind of stuff. It is a very good product!!