Thread: About had a heart attack!

About had a heart attack!

Went to the local gun show yesterday and about had myself a heart attack as there was not one, not two, not three....but four (YES FOUR!) Model 99's there. Now mind you, in the 15 or so years that I've been a Savage nut I've only seen 2 or 3 Model 99's show up at this show, so to have 4 there at the same time is unfathomable.

I know you'll want details Joe, but you know I don't know enough about 99's to tell you what I was looking at. One looked like a standard 99 with the Schnobel forend and pistol grip stock and was chambered in .300 Savage for $750. The second (same table) was a 99 Featherweight in .300 Savage for $875. Price on those two seemed high to me considering their condition, but then again I think all 99's are priced high anymore. The third looked to be a later (post mil) model with the blocky forend with basket weave checkering, but no tag indicating the price or caliber and the guy about ripped my head off when I tried to pick it up. The forth one I didn't get a look at as the guy was there trying to sell it to the guy with #3 on his table, but I overheard him say it was a .308 Win and I could see that it was a detachable magazine model.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

So you saw a 99EG, an F, a 99E and a 99C.

All sound way over priced but that's a gun show for you.

I went to a gun show yesterday in Michigan and saw the same thing.

Saw a 99K which would usually fetch about $3000 but this one had been shaved, restocked, rebarreled and no real finish left on the receiver and the guy wanted $800 for it, I about laughed out loud when I saw the price.

Saw a Savage 220 single shot in 28 ga with a $500 price tag on it, to funny.
    Savage- "never say never".

With how rare 99's are in these parts the dealers think they've struck gold whenever they get their hands on one. There were a couple 1914's there that tempted me a little, and a real nice Model 23 that really tempted me, but I managed to get out of there without buying anything other than a couple raffle tickets and 3 boxes of .38 Special ammo.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

They are a bit pricey now! I keep looking on the Navajo and Zuni reservations for 99's. Last two I got set me back $250 each believe it or not. Tore my jeans pocket getting the cash out.

All I ended up leaving with was a Lyman 57 peep sight for a 99 for $10, couldn't go wrong there.
    Savage- "never say never".