Thread: Savage Axis 22-250 Bolt problems

larrymac1

Savage Axis 22-250 Bolt problems

My rifle picks up and loads correctly. The cartridge seems to enter the chamber smoothly but the bolt is a monster to get it to engage. I reload so I thought I was doing something wrong with that, but case diameter and case length are at or slightly below maximum. Any case that is 1.912 or longer gets trimmed back to length. Has anyone experienced this and if so what did you do to fix it. I love the Savage Axis it is a tack driver, but right now I wouldn't take it coyote hunting because if I miss the coyote could be in the next county before I could get another round chambered and seated. I would appreciate any help. PS I have the same issue with factory loads.

Does the head of the cartridge show any marks on it like signs of sliding friction?
    Do the bullets of the unfired, ejected rounds show rifling marks in the ogive?
    Is the reloaded brass stuff that was fired in another rifle?
    Are you neck sizing your brass or full length resizing?
    What weight are the bullets of your factory rounds?
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 04-06-2014 at 08:11 AM.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

zippyhuntin
    Short throat?
    I have the same issue in my 25-06 if I load 120gr Speer at book OAL. If i seat them .005-.01 deeper they chamber fine.

Quote Originally Posted by zippyhuntin View Post
    Short throat?
    I have the same issue in my 25-06 if I load 120gr Speer at book OAL. If i seat them .005-.01 deeper they chamber fine.
    Most likely.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I would bet the shoulder isn't bumped back enough.. Twist the sizing die down more or try a factory round.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakkon View Post
    I would bet the shoulder isn't bumped back enough.. Twist the sizing die down more or try a factory round.
    That might possibly fix the problem with reloads, but he's having the same problems with factory loads.

larrymac1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Does the head of the cartridge show any marks on it like signs of sliding friction?
    Do the bullets of the unfired, ejected rounds show rifling marks in the ogive?
    Is the reloaded brass stuff that was fired in another rifle?
    Are you neck sizing your brass or full length resizing?
    What weight are the bullets of your factory rounds?
    I have not seen any marks that would indicate where it is getting hung up at. Everything looks correct when I eject the casing. All rounds are firing if I can get the breach locked. Some of the brass was shot from another weapon, but I have been reloading my own cases that I have fired before. I just purchased a collet die and I do a full length size and then a collet neck sizing. I have just gotten this die and have loaded about 100 rounds since using it. Hopefully I can get to the range in a day or two. Factory loads have all been 55 grain. I just purchased some 50 grain and I am using some for the new reloads.

larrymac1
    Some of the newly loaded rounds are loaded a bit deeper. I was running empty cases yesterday and some of them were still pretty stiff when closing the bolt but they did not seem as bad as before. Loaded at the range will tell the tail. Thanks for the help I sure hope this stuff works for me. I like shooting this gun. I just turned 65 and my eyesight and accuracy are not what they once were but this little rifle makes me feel 20 again.