Thread: m40 style rfle

Basic Member

m40 style rfle

Have any of you guys ever built a m40 style rifle using a savage action if so could you post some pics of your rifle. I was thinking of doing this was wondering if any of you have done it. I know the m40 was built off of a 700 action and all that but thought it might be cool to build a look a like on a savage.

Basic Member
    If you mean the old style M40 based on the Monte Carlo stock I am in the beginning stages of my build...still trying to decide on LA in 30-06 or SA in 308. Only having the McMillan HTG or the Manners T3 as stock options with their $500+ price tags I am considering taking an old Savage Monte Carlo style stock and adding some wood to it and re-profiling the front to add a wider flatter fore end and opening up the barrel channel to take a Varmint or Bull barrel at 16" while I'm at it I will probably shorten the LOP to 12-12.5 inches as I am smaller statured and snug up to a rifle more than most people and shorten the fore end as well to gain some proportion back to it and make it a smaller light package as well. It will get a CDI DBM metal and run a 5 round most of the time and have a couple of 10 rounders as well. Scope will be either a US Optic or a NF...

Something like this...except in a Savage...

Basic Member
    yeah I was thinking something like that I thought about using a savage 10 action in 308 with a boyds prairie hunter in walnut unfinished so I could finish it in a satin finish and a 24 inch varmint contour barrel

Basic Member

Basic Member
    I am looking for as close to this stock profile as I can get...Monte Carlo cheek rise parallel to the bore, wider and flatter fore end

McMillian M40A1/HTG stock

Manners T3

B&C M40 (only for Remington SA/LA M700)

Numrich has a few that are close enough to work with...I got pretty mad wood werking skilz thanks to dad so the task of converting it over are not all that daunting...

REALLY WANT TO FIND ONE OF THESE if someone know what rifle it came on...Numrichs search function sux...BTW I found out thats a Savage 22 Hornet M40 stock...if only they made it in LA/SA
    Last edited by CAPTBEACH; 04-04-2014 at 12:21 PM.

bremereric
    Have you tried searching Boyd's stocks?