Thread: Stock replacement questions

scbrooks87

Stock replacement questions

Hey everyone! So I've been doing some research, and think I generally understand things, but want to double check before I "pull the trigger" (pun absolutely intended) on buying stuff.

I'm considering getting an 11 Trophy Hunter XP in .308, and have been looking at the replacement stock options... I've been thinking I'd go with the Choate tactical, but I don't think it fits the DBM on the THXP. Choate said their stock is built for the mag release clip being on the stock, however Savage (and the Savage 110 Detachable Box Magazine Systems thread) indicate the DBM system in the 11 THXP is the plastic AXIS system with the release clip on the mag itself.

I think, if my research is right, I can order the mag frame (bottom metal) and mag bottom from Savage, and install them in the Choate stock and basically have my conversion to work with the rifle... Is that correct? Is it a pretty easy plug n' play type conversion?

Additionally, would it be easier, or even possible, to just order a stock with a blind mag and forget the whole DBM system? Or is that a bad idea?

I know... lots of questions, probably fairly noob stuff, but I'm new to rifle shooting and don't want to waste money ordering the wrong stuff... I didn't find a thread that addressed this specifically, but if there is one that I missed, I'm happy to click a link a read :)

Thanks!!
    -Scott

It all comes down to preference. I like blind mags better than dbm, others are just the opposite.
    After market stocks are much easier to find for blind mags.
    I also use a few single shot adapters and have a couple single shot actions but these are strictly bench guns, hunting guns are all blind mag, nothing worse than getting to the stand and looking down and not see a mag in place, mine can never fall out.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

scbrooks87
    Thanks rjtfroggy. So lets say I wanted to go that route, and do a blind mag... Can I take the action from a stock which was set up for a DBM, and put it right onto a stock with a blind mag and it will work? Or is the action cut differently for the DMB? I'm still considering both options at this point.

Basic Member
    You can order a Choate Tac stock inletted with the bottom metal as a complete package directly from CDI if you want a first quality setup.