Thread: Build Started

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Build with Range Report

After a lot of reading on this forum I decided to do a custom build on a savage platform. I wanted a 1000 yard capable gun that I could also use for whitetails/hogs in Alabama. This gun, when used for hunting will only be used on agriculture fields and clearcuts. I'm going with the 6.5-284 cartridge, I already have the dies for a buddies savage in the same caliber. I am trying to keep the weight down below 10lbs, which is going to be a struggle.

I started with a 30-06 Stevens 200 with the plane tupperware stock.

I ended up going with the Criterion Barrel, recoil lug & precision barrel nut, compliments of Northland Shooters. These guys are great and had the barrel to me within a couple of day's. I ended up going with the varmit contour stainless (26")

I then adjusted the stock Stevens trigger for creep, over travel and weight. It now breaks clean and is right around 3.5-4lbs, which I find ideal for a rifle that will be used in a treestand on a cold morning.

I went back and forth on the stock that I wanted. I wanted something somewhat tactical but weight was the deciding factor. I ended up ordering the Boyd's Tacticool. I have several Boyds stocks and have been pleased with all of them. I wanted an unfinished version of this stock but settled for the finished one with the non skid black coating. I also ordered, From Boyds the stainless hardware and trigger guard.

Since this is a "custom" gun, i use that term loosely, LOL. I decided that the plain black stock was to plain. So, I taped off the areas that I wanted to keep the non skid and started sanding. I referenced a McMillan stock for the area to be left alone.

I then used the highly precise way of opening up the barrel channel to fit the new Criterion Barrel, A socket, sandpaper and elbow greese.

I had originally planned on painting this stock tan and doing the Krylon webbing paint over it. After an unsuccessful trip to multiple store, in order to find the webbing paint; i decided to go with a stone look. I could have ordered the paint but I am impatient and wanted to work on it. I was, after completing the paint job, very pleased with the look. In addition to the paint it received several coats of AlumaHyde Clear. Here is the gun mocked up.

I am 99% sure I am going to put a 6.5-20x50 Zeiss Conquest on this gun. I would however, take some additional recommendations if you have them. I also need to determine what I want to do with the bolt body, which bolt handle/knob (Stainless or black) and what bases. I am leaning towards a 20moa rail. What other options are out there and recommended?

This has been a fun project and there is a ton of useful information on this sight! I have built/modded several guns in the past but this is the first one that I have done a barrel change on. several years ago I sporterized a 100 year old Mosin Nagant. It has proved to also be very accurate and I have had the opportunity to take several deer with it. I guess this started my obsession with customized guns.

Last edited by Joshm28; 04-26-2014 at 09:39 PM.