Thread: Scope for .17 HMR

Akajung

Scope for .17 HMR

So over the weekend I picked up a 93R17-TR in a trade. Now I'm looking for some decent glass. I know I'll get what I pay for but I'm looking for something in the $250-300 range. What would be your recommendations or suggestions?

Basic Member
    It sorta depends upon what you're going to use your "new" rifle for! If you going to take it out to the country and shoot a few tin cans or a few paper targets at 50 yards, you can do quite well for under $200.00. If you're going hunting, or doing some semi-serious target shooting with your buddies, I'd suggest that you consider an entry level Nikon, 3-9 power, 40mm objective. Nikon makes very good glass; not quite on a par with Leupold, IMHO, but perfectly adequate for casual shooting. Check out SWFA.com; they have a huge selection of scopes at decent prices. You can also call and talk to them about your shooting situation and get them to recommend something in your price range. I've bought my last two scopes from them and have been quite happy.

Akajung

Scope for .17 HMR

Thanks mikein, I'm hoping to do some prairie dog hunting so I will definitely look at the Nikons and go from there!
    Last edited by Akajung; 04-14-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Basic Member
    Akajung, I've got two of these: http://swfa.com/Nikon-3-9x40-Buckmas...pe-P42205.aspx A great "starter kit" for a scope. Then if you decided you need more magnification, you can always upgrade. With your 17HMR, it's a pretty decent 150 yard prairie dog caliber, it's just very wind sensitive. But with a 3-9, you should be able to do a number on the pasture poodles!

bremereric
    Nikon Prostaff 3X9X50. Try opticsplanet and amazon also. Sometimes amazon beats the pricing with free shipping also.

Basic Member
    Sightron Sl would also be a good place to start that would come in under budget.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

I'll cast another vote(s) for either Nikon or SWFA. I own two Nikon Buckmasters; one mildot and one "Nikoplex". The Nikoplex is a 6-18 x 42- perhaps a little much for 150-175 yds. but the old adage "aim small, miss small..". The mildot is a 4.5-14x40. Both are excellent scopes-IMHO not entry level at all and they can be had at very decent prices if you look around just a little. Natchez catalog has them very reasonable right now...lifetime warranty etc. The Nikoplex is a little finer than the mildot but both are very usable for my needs. I have the mildot on my 110 .223 and the Nikoplex on my Hog Hunter in .308.

I recently purchased an SWFA 12x42, mildot reticle. Fine reticle and a darned nice piece of glass- clear, repeatable, box tests great. Find the ammo. your "17" likes to eat best and you'll have a precision prarie dog swattin' machine! If I have to complain about something on the SWFA- the parallax adjustment is on the eyepiece- about the location where the variable power ring would be if it weren't a fixed power scope. IMHO I like the location- but it is SENSITIVE; there isn't a ton of room between the various yardages-it'll focus sharply, but there ain't a lot of forgiveness if your finesse is off.

I have the SWFA on my 93R17-T and last month shot a "perfect" score on our E-mail rimfire target at 50 yards using that rig. Say what you want to- that little dot worth 40 points can be an elusive S.O.B. at 50 yards.

I NEVER pay attention to the yardage marks when focusing-although I'll look after focusing and shooting a string. Don't know what the Schmidt and Spender or Nightforce, or US Optics AOs accuracy is (I'll bet it's exceptional), but on my Nikons and the SWFA when at the range, they are never right on the 100 or 200 yard marks when focused at that range. But I'm betting those target stands are not exactly at 100 or 200 yards either. All this to say that, with my eyeball, the AOs are not perfect to be used as precision range finding. But very close nonetheless.

I am experimenting using the mildots for ranging and as soon as I can borrow my work's measuring wheel, I intend to check them out using a "sight in" target for known terminal / target measurements, and the wheel to measure distance.

Just my .10 cents . Best wishes whatever you choose- truth is there is a lot of good glass out there for reasonable prices- probably more than ever before.

Brian
    Last edited by Silvercrow1; 04-14-2014 at 11:42 PM.
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Akajung
    Thanks for all of the replies guys. I'm new to optics and this is extremely helpful. Say if I when with a fixed scope, what would you consider a good power for 100-200 yards?

Basic Member
    Depending upon how good your eyesight is, either a 4 or 6 power should serve you well.

Basic Member
    Look I hate cheap scopes, But I put a BSA sweet 17 on my seventeen and it works great!!!
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

n4ue
    I have a love/hate relationship with cheap scopes also. However, the Sweet 17 works just fine on one HMR. The other .17 HMR rifle has a Nikon 6-18X40.
    I won't ever buy another scope without some sort of focus mechanism, either Objective or Side Focus.
    I just bought a new Leupold without this feature. The scope is very nice, but I miss the focus adjustment. As mentioned above, the SWFA scopes have a great reputation, which proves that Tasco still can make a great scope.
    Of course I don't have 20 year old peepers anymore!! ha ha

ron

Akajung
    Thanks again guys! Well after looking around quite a bit I ordered a 4x12-40 Sightron SI Hunter with target turrets and a set of Leupold rings from SWFA this afternoon. Now we play the waiting game...haha