Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage High Capacity Magazine - Axis/Edge etc. Short Action 243/308 Information

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theranthrope View Post
    Likewise, I would very much like to purchase an extended mag for my 30/06. I haven't been able to find anyone making mags for long-action Axis' anywhere.
    The long actions are a difficult task, to say the least. They are doable, but a HUGE pain. I know that Tom won't build them, and I am not sure that Frank does. Even if they can be had, they would be extremely expensive of an undertaking. So be prepared to shell out the large amount of funds to get your hands on one. Not to mention the fact that the WWII BAR surplus magazines are really hard to get your hands on to begin with.

So be ready to pay the piper, and give the old sandman his long long lead time to get it done. Just sayin...

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Yeah, I still make 'em.
    It took many attempts and a slew of different springs but I have them where they function smoothly.

The bulk of the expense are the BAR magazines for the extension. Numrich is the only place on the planet that has them at a "reasonable" price. Some of the places I looked at they want upwards of 50 bucks for one that looks like it was dug up from a battlefield somewhere in Europe.

I've been buying 2 to 3 every couple weeks just in case the supply dries up. It seems every time I make a few for myself they end up bought. No worries. I still have all the original prototypes I made. One of them has an AK47 magazine spring, one has a spring I found at Ace Hardware, one has a spring I found in my garage (no idea what its from), the list goes on...
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 02-13-2015 at 06:47 AM.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

bobk90

Can you show Pics with Markings of where you cut?

Thanks in Advance,
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by RatMag View Post
    I have been asked numerous times (since I can no longer build them in Colorado), how I went about building my "RatMag" magazines. I have put together the instructions on my various processes for the 10 round magazine, that was my most common build. The instructions are exactly the same for the standard Savage centerfeed rifles, as is the Axis/Edge centerfeed rifles.

These instructions are also the same methods that I used to build the "side button release" models as well. The only difference would be, to leave off the magazine band that fills the mag well on the centerfeed rifles. So with that, here is the information...

Components:
    Savage Axis Magazine - All parts required
    H&K G3 Steel Magazine - Body, floorplate, spring required (no need for the follower)

For a 10 round magazine:
    Mark and cut the G3 magazine body, 2" from the bottom, front to back along both sides.
    Mark and cut the G3 magazine body, 1" above the mark, across the front of the body.
    Mark and cut the G3 magazine body, 1-3/8" above the mark across the rear of the body.

This will provide the weld tabs that are to be inserted into the Savage magazine body. The weld tabs should be 3/4" wide. Grind the front and rear tabs to match the contour of the Savage Axis magazine body. Weld and grind smooth. I used a 120V spot welder for this work, as I never welded the side walls.

Add relief cuts to the Savage magazine follower, as well as grind down the front of the magazine by 1/16", and grind down the rear tabs. This is to allow a smooth transition from the G3 body, to the Savage body, with no hang ups. Add the Savage magazine spring to the top of the G3 magazine spring. Cut the bottom coils off the G3 spring, but leave 3 coils. At the back of the Savage spring, add it to the G3 spring, and crimp the rear of the Savage spring around the G3 wire to hold it in place at the back.

Cut out all of the inside bottom of the Axis magazine floorplate out, but leave the magazine alignment tabs intact. Stretch the magazine band around the welded magazine bodies, and slide up into place, ensuring the alignment tabs seat in the Savage magazine slots properly.

If you rifle is a standard Savage, cut the magazine release tab off the Axis floorplate at the front. If your rifle is an Axis, the release tab must remain in place, and must be epoxied at the front, to prevent the release tab area from flexing downward as the magazine is inserted into the magwell. Test fit the magazine, test the magazine for proper function, paint to your color choice, and go out and enjoy your 2nd Amendment rights!!

Best of luck to you all... and keep them barrels warm!! God Bless!!

DK

Basic Member
    I no longer have a G3 magazine to show you what I did. Just mark the side of the G3 body, all the way around the body, 2" from the bottom.
    Now, from the line you just made across the front of the magazine, mark the body from left to right, 1" above that mark.
    Now, also from the line you just made across the rear of the magazine, mark the body from left to right, 1-3/8" above that mark.

So when you cut the body, the sides will be lower, and there will be a front and rear tab to be inserted into the factory magazine body. This will leave the sides free floating, and there will be a front and rear tab to spot weld to the factory magazine body. I hope this is a little bit better of a description for you.

DK

Basic Member
    So mark the front of the body, 3" high in the front, and 3-3/8" high in the rear. Along the sides, 2" high, from front to back. Yes, pictures would help, but I can't do that. Sorry.

If you want to do the marking and post some pictures, I will let you know if it is correct or not. "IF" that would help.

DK

madmanmarz
    Has anyone tried this with a Magpul mag in 308??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12