Thread: Axis bolt throw vs 10

Basic Member

Axis bolt throw vs 10

So, I know that Axis receivers are all the same and an inbetween length. But I remember reading somewhere that the "short action" Axis's have a baffle to shorten bolt throw? How does the bolt throw on a "short action" Axis compare to a 10? Is the baffle enough that it makes the bolt feel the same? I'm considering an Axis for a precision rifle build and trying to compare all the pros and cons on each.

Caliper,

speaking from experience, The Axis isn't the best platform to build from... You have more aftermarket options for the 10, 11, 12, 16... However, everyone has their preferences. The Axis has a very high bolt throw and I had issues with the bolt rubbing on my ocular lens housing. It's created a cosmetic issue, but nothing as far as function. The Trigger on the "original axis" is really heavy and not the best trigger. The Accutrigger is much better in my opinion.

Basic Member
    So, is it the shape of the bolt handle or does the arc of the bolt lift just go to a higher angle than on the 10 and into the scope? My scope won't be mounted super low anyways due to being in a chassis system (probably XLR Element), will this still be an issue with an angled base and medium rings?

I guess by throw, I meant lengthwise though. Does the bolt have to be retracted further with the shot action Axis than with a 10? Thinking of the movement of the back of the bolt from fully closed to fully open and back.

Not very worried about the trigger. I'd go aftermarket or adapt an Accutrigger (or even the old simple trigger like on my 110). Since I shoot long guns lefty, Savage doesn't make an Axis with Accutrigger for me.

Basic Member
    Both the Axis and the 10/110 series have 90* bolt throws. It's the football shaped ball that's a problem. I ground mine down, threaded it, and installed an after market bolt knob. It will get the job done though. A lot of what your asking will really depend on your set up and can't be answered for sure. Depending on you're length of pull and body size the scope could be in a sweet spot out of the way or you could bash your knuckles on it every time....

What is your intended use for this rifle and budget for your build?

Basic Member
    As I said, what I'm really looking for is how far the bolt travels back and forth between open and closed.

I agree setup matters for knob clearance, it sounded like the arc of the knob throw may be different based on SageRats coments. I'll be using a chassis so cheek weld location will be entirely configurable.

Caliper,

You and I Both are lefties... The shape of the bolt is not that different from the 11, but it does have a higher angle then on the 10,11,12,or 16 (they are all the same action just different metals and configurations). The Axis, on the other hand is a different critter all together. It's a Medium length throw. So, it's not a long a throw as the 110 but it is longer than the 10 (I'm guessing about an inch difference whether you go long or short action).

I've built one gun on an axis (22-250) I bot one off the shelf a Cabelas just so I had a PD gun that was functional out to 300. After the first season I was hooked and wanted BETTER. So I put a Criterion barrel on it and boy did that make a difference.... Then I wanted better glass, and eventually a laminate stock. My $300 gun just turned into a $900.00 gun. That got me out to 550 yards.....
    Still not satisfied, I Found myself wanting a longer range capable gun (in windy conditions) I decided I wanted to go with a larger caliber and heavier bullet.

Knowing my limitations now (being lefty and it being an axis) I was much more detail oriented for the second build. I knew I wanted a Pro Varmint styled stock (Boyds) that would accommodate a Heavy Varmint barrel (which the Axis would not on either requirement).

So, I went with the 111 XP trophy hunter in 270 win. as I knew it would be "buildable". Additionally, I knew I wanted a better trigger (and I like the accutrigger a lot).

I tore the gun apart, for the action alone, ordered my stock and all new ACTUAL bottom metal (not plastic), ordered another Criterion barrel in 260 rem @ 25" and put a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 on top.

I'm still waiting on the barrel to arrive, (so I'm shooting it as a 270 right now) but, I'm very happy with how it's turned out thus far and is by far my favorite setup now. Just can't wait to see what she'll do once I've got the Criterion on it...

The bottom line is.... I learned my lesson trying to improve the very limited Axis... If one is going to build their own rifle, Do it right the first time...

I don't think the Axis has a baffle, Could be wrong but this is how the model 10/110 style actions alter the the distance the bolt travels.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Well, baffle or not, (the Axis manual shows something like the baffle) what I'm looking for is this measurement on an Axis that was built in a short action caliber.

SageRat, what was limiting you about the Axis? The chassis I'm looking at is available for both the 10 and the Axis, I can get the same aftermarket triggers and mount the same barrel on them. I also found out today that having SSS true and tune an Axis costs less than for a 10. So I can get a trued, tuned Axis receiver for less than an out of the box 10. Maybe the Axis used to have no support, but I'd be using the same parts here as if I were to build a 10. Did you find that there was anything inherent in the Axis receiver that caused an issue?

Caliper,

My Axis is about 4 years old now and being a lefty my options for stocks were far less at that time. I was trying to do it more "budget" style then you perhaps. I wasn't going for a chassis but wanted a nice laminate. Like I said, it was my first build and didn't really know what I was doing the first time around. It was more "Kentucky windage" in putting it together.

When I called boyds to see if they had the Pro varmint in a left bolt with a bull/varmint barrel channel, they told me they didn't make one, but if I wanted to send them my entire rifle including the optics, then they would blueprint the stock for me for free, and then they'd be able to offer it for all lefties on the axis. I just didn't feel comfortable in doing that, so my only option was the Prairie hunter, that would open up to accommodate a heavy sporter or light varmint.

There are more aftermarket parts, stocks, etc for the 11/111 platform. The only thing that I wish the 11/111 had is the enclosed action port. Similar to the model 12 target actions.

And Boyds still doesn't make a Pro varmint in a lefty bolt for the Axis last time I checked.

Basic Member
    To actually answer your question, the baffle on an Axis has a short side for long cartridges, and a standard side for short cartridges. There is no guide fin, so it is simply reversed by flipping it over.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    To actually answer your question, the baffle on an Axis has a short side for long cartridges, and a standard side for short cartridges. There is no guide fin, so it is simply reversed by flipping it over.
    Thanks!

Do you have an Axis? Can you measure how far the bolt travels rearward in each configuration? (as in the pic of my 10 above)

Basic Member
    4-3/16" on the short side and 4-3/8" on the long.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Hmmm, not a huge change between the two. It's something I guess. Not as bad as my 110 with about 5" of bolt throw at least.

You can get 1/2" less travel,in a Axis, by grinding the fin off the long baffle from 10/110.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by short round View Post
    You can get 1/2" less travel,in a Axis, by grinding the fin off the long baffle from 10/110.
    Thanks! Very cool tip. That sounds like it would take the travel down to about 4" like on the 10? The bolt still picks up a .308 family cartridge I assume?