Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage High Capacity Magazine - Axis/Edge etc. Short Action 243/308 Information

Basic Member

Savage High Capacity Magazine - Axis/Edge etc. Short Action 243/308 Information

I have been asked numerous times (since I can no longer build them in Colorado), how I went about building my "RatMag" magazines. I have put together the instructions on my various processes for the 10 round magazine, that was my most common build. The instructions are exactly the same for the standard Savage centerfeed rifles, as is the Axis/Edge centerfeed rifles.

These instructions are also the same methods that I used to build the "side button release" models as well. The only difference would be, to leave off the magazine band that fills the mag well on the centerfeed rifles. So with that, here is the information...

Components:
    Savage Axis Magazine - All parts required
    H&K G3 Steel Magazine - Body, floorplate, spring required (no need for the follower)

For a 10 round magazine:
    Mark and cut the G3 magazine body, 2" from the bottom, front to back along both sides.
    Mark and cut the G3 magazine body, 1" above the mark, across the front of the body.
    Mark and cut the G3 magazine body, 1-3/8" above the mark across the rear of the body.

This will provide the weld tabs that are to be inserted into the Savage magazine body. The weld tabs should be 3/4" wide. Grind the front and rear tabs to match the contour of the Savage Axis magazine body. Weld and grind smooth. I used a 120V spot welder for this work, as I never welded the side walls.

Add relief cuts to the Savage magazine follower, as well as grind down the front of the magazine by 1/16", and grind down the rear tabs. This is to allow a smooth transition from the G3 body, to the Savage body, with no hang ups. Add the Savage magazine spring to the top of the G3 magazine spring. Cut the bottom coils off the G3 spring, but leave 3 coils. At the back of the Savage spring, add it to the G3 spring, and crimp the rear of the Savage spring around the G3 wire to hold it in place at the back.

Cut out all of the inside bottom of the Axis magazine floorplate out, but leave the magazine alignment tabs intact. Stretch the magazine band around the welded magazine bodies, and slide up into place, ensuring the alignment tabs seat in the Savage magazine slots properly.

If you rifle is a standard Savage, cut the magazine release tab off the Axis floorplate at the front. If your rifle is an Axis, the release tab must remain in place, and must be epoxied at the front, to prevent the release tab area from flexing downward as the magazine is inserted into the magwell. Test fit the magazine, test the magazine for proper function, paint to your color choice, and go out and enjoy your 2nd Amendment rights!!

Best of luck to you all... and keep them barrels warm!! God Bless!!

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

Basic Member
    Thank you! Saving this for future use!

Basic Member
    You are most welcome. I just wish that I could still help everyone out in building them. But, that is no longer the case. I am working with a few individuals to have them continue where I was forced to leave off. Hopefully, I will have working designs in my hands for testing and review shortly. I will keep everyone informed.

DK

Basic Member
    This is great! Thanks DK!

Basic Member
    My pleasure!!

DK

Jcast91
    Are .308 10rd mags available for axis,if so where can I find them

Basic Member
    Just so you guys know... I am working with a gentleman named Tom Snyder from Snydermags.com. He is producing 10 and 15 round Axis/Edge magazines in 204/223 currently, and is working on the 243/308 magazine. I should have 1 in my hands by this weekend. Check out his stuff, it seems good to go!!

DK

Basic Member
    I haven't bought from Tom, so I can't speak on the mag quality, but I've communicated with him a few times about the mags, and he has been great to deal with.

jasta
    Thank you Ratmag you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Cheers

Basic Member
    You are most welcome!! Anything I can do to help out, at least the best that I can!! Keep them barrels warm!!

DK

Basic Member
    I have the 204/223 and the 243/308 versions in my hands. I can tell you Tom's magazines are good to go!! They both snap into place perfectly, and they bolt cycle the rounds smoothly and without fail!!

Check them out... Snydermags.com

DK

Y2JPD
    What about a 10 round drop box for the 110 in 30-06?

Basic Member
    The realm of the long action magazines is a bit taboo. I built them for a while, but they are a major PITA... I know that Tom is not going to build any of them. I believe that fgw_in_fla, here on SavageShooters is possibly building some. I have built some for him, and he made a few modifications to them. He just might be able to build you one.

DK

Basic Member
    Do you have a write up for doing the 223 mags? $85 is way too much for me.

Addicted_gunaholic
    Hey ratmag. I've been unsuccessful in finding your friend that might make a extended mag for my 30/06. If you find him first can let him know about my predicament? Thank you

my 15rd mag build in .223 for the axis using magpul pmag
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...3-15rd-mag-DIY

Theranthrope
    Quote Originally Posted by Addicted_gunaholic View Post
    Hey ratmag. I've been unsuccessful in finding your friend that might make a extended mag for my 30/06. If you find him first can let him know about my predicament? Thank you
    Likewise, I would very much like to purchase an extended mag for my 30/06. I haven't been able to find anyone making mags for long-action Axis' anywhere.

I'm In

Quote Originally Posted by Theranthrope View Post
    Likewise, I would very much like to purchase an extended mag for my 30/06. I haven't been able to find anyone making mags for long-action Axis' anywhere.
    I'd be in for one as well. 111 trophy hunter in 30/06
    10 rounds would be good, 15 would be amazing! (or both?)

Basic Member
    My "Buddy" that you are referring too... is Tom Snyder of Snydermags.com. Great guy to work with, and he is super fast on his turn around time. He is a machinist by trade, and has made some great strides in the manufacturing processes. Check him out!!

As far as the long action magazines go, this mod will end up being a DIY situation. I don't think Tom has the time, or even wants to venture down that road.

DK

Basic Member
    All I did, was to type in "snydermags" in my googlefo search bar. His website was the 1st thing that popped up. I don't think I am allowed to post the link for it though...

DK

Quote Originally Posted by RatMag View Post
    All I did, was to type in "snydermags" in my googlefo search bar. His website was the 1st thing that popped up. I don't think I am allowed to post the link for it though...

DK
    RatMag, I followed you over at SH (WTF happened to that site is a **** shame) Thanks for bringing 10rd capacity mags to the market for the Axis, really rounds out a budget build bolt gun with those mags.

I will be buying 2 10rders off your friend in Ohio...

Thank you for time and effort in developing this mag and your continued support with this upgrade..

SE

Quote Originally Posted by nathantc View Post
    my 15rd mag build in .223 for the axis using magpul pmag
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...3-15rd-mag-DIY
    Nathantc, your stuff looks very interesting also... Will give it a try, more mags the better...

thnx

Hey everyone...
    I was able to find a member on this site who custom made me a magazine.. just fyi
    Nobody makes the long action extended mag's so this may come in handy. I've posted pics on another thread

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...6-entended-mag

Basic Member
    fgw_in_fla

He is a member here, and was just online today. You can PM him from the members list. I am not sure he is building them, but you can check.

DK

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmilinEd View Post
    Thank you for time and effort in developing this mag and your continued support with this upgrade..

SE
    You are most welcome. I love this sport, and wish to help out in any way that I can. We need to keep the 2nd strong and healthy!!

DK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast