Thread: PST mount advise needed

Basic Member

PST mount advise needed

Having fun trying to put together my first build. Thanks to Mr and Mrs Briggs, I have a model 12 action for .308 with recoil lug, wrenches and varmit contour 26" barrell. I also have a set of go, no go gauges for the build. I got in my XLR Evolution folding chassis!(It rocks!) I am wanting to put a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 on it and am wondering the best rings to go on an EGW 20moa base to give the clearance needed.I would like to be able to use caps to cover the lenses. Any suggestions and advise greatly appreciated. This is by far my favorite site to read and am forming an addiction to all things Savage.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it.
    - William S. Burroughs.

Ackevor
    I have that exact setup, model 110 30-06, and while I ordered the scope through Vortex's military program, I also purchased a set of their factory paired and machined high rings seen here. I wont be home until the 11th when my orders end for me to measure them, but I can tell you there is plenty of room for scope caps. I made several measurments to find my centerline of barrel to centerline of scope height, which in my ballistics program is 2.295" and can be seen with the old barrel here http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ie-Area)-PICS!. So it seems as long as you can use the formula provided on XLR's website for scope clearance, you will have to solve for X in the scope ring height to determine your minimum ring height for any other brand, but anything 1.26" or 32mm and up will suffice.
    Last edited by Ackevor; 04-02-2014 at 09:07 AM.

Ackevor
    Ohh and beware when folding your buttstock. The cheek riser screw will damage the anodize as there is no recessed area for it on the stock. Duct tape will not save it either, I tried. I am still working on a permanant non machined way to prevent damage when folding.

Basic Member
    Ackevor, Thanks for the info! I will try and get it measured on assembly. I noticed that about the folder's screw. Planning to cerakote mine as action is blued and barrell is s/s. I'll try and come up with a solution to prevent damage. Thanks again for the help.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it.
    - William S. Burroughs.

Ackevor
    Not a problem, just glad I could finally find a topic I had first hand experience in haha. Good luck.