Once again I can't get the pictures to print here. I have the article with pictures if anyone is interested, PM me and I'll send the article.
This allows me to move the scope around among guns, just as I move a EX Weaver t36 among guns. I don't like to transport a rifle with scope attached.

Sometimes we want to mount externally adjustable scopes on (generally bolt action) rifles that have mounts for internally adjustable scopes. If the rifle is a Savage and the owner changes barrels, we can’t comfortably put a scope block on the barrel.
I asked Steve Earle to make me a loooong scope block to fit a Savage M10 rifle, and he did.
Steve Earle Products, Inc.
24 Palmer Rd., Plympton MA 02367
781-585-3929
steven.m.earle@comcast.net
www.steveearleproducts.com

Here’s the loooong block

Here’s the block on the Savage. It screws onto the holes in the front and rear rings used to mount Weaver etc. scope mounts.

And here’s a Lyman STS scope on the block on the Savage.

The fly cuts for the scope mounts can be put anywhere on the block, allowing positioning of the scope as desired.
Here’s why I decided on this setup.
The rear mount of the scope can go above either the front or rear receiver ring on a bolt-action rifle. Having the rear mount any place over action cut out interferes with putting cartridges in the gun and getting them out
If the rear mount is over the rear ring, a lot of the scope is cantilevered out front with nothing supporting it.
With the rear scope mount over the front receiver ring, I can get cartridges in and cases out of the gun easily. The only drawback is that as shown, there is no rearward adjustment left-the scope won’t go any further back. I have no trouble shooting the gun with the scope in this position, others may differ.
The block and scope have a pretty long cantilever, but a locked screw through the loooong block and touching the barrel would take the curse off the cantilever.