Thread: Long range scopes

Long range scopes

Hi all
    I built a couple rifles that are long range rifles that are pretty hard recoiling rifles and I put leupold vx3 lr's on those. I figured they will need good glass to take the pounding. Now I have 2 more in the works one for me and one for my better half. Neither are big boomers so I dont think I need to set out another 2k for scopes for those. I am looking at the Nikko Stirling target masters, has anyone used one of the 6-24x56 or the 10-50x60. Mine is a 6xc will be used for fclass with a 600yd max. The mrs is a 6br the will prob never see 300yd plus. I was thinking the Simmons 4.5-18x44 varmint for this rifle. Im all for high quality glass but I was hoping this time I could keep a little extra cash in my pocket. Has anyone used either of these and what are your thoughts of them.

jjdgldaz
    vortex PST. A little more than what you might want to spend but well worth it. plus any issues with them a outstanding warranty

Fwiw check out Midway USA for Simmons Whitetal Classic 6.5-20×50mm was $109
    I bought one about 3 months ago and quickly ordered another shortly after. Lots of reviews on Midway for it. As a comparison I pulled a Redfield Revolution 4-12×50mm and the Simmons sits in it place now. Clarity is closely aproaching my Vortex Vipers and they track pretty well too.

Basic Member
    Vortex HS-T would be my suggestion if you dont want to pay for the pst's. Midway has the best setups for mil/mil models.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/282...-reticle-matte

Basic Member
    Falcon menace 5.5-25. Can be found used for under $400 and it's a ffp

1ShotKing
    You're going to want something that tracks accurately, correct? There goes the Simms/Nikko optics. I'd take limige's suggestion, get something like a Vortex Viper, or maybe a Leupold VX-2 with target turrets. There is no point putting crappy optics on a rifle on a good rifle, it's only as good as the weakest link and it seems that will be your scope.

emtrescue6
    Look at the Swift Premier line of scopes....I have several and am very happy with them...including a 6-25x50 on my 10 FLCP-K and a 3-9x40 that's been error free on a 270 for over 20 years now (and it gets hunted with every year)....had to beat the quality and lifetime warranty for the money. FWIW...I wouldn't waste the cash on a Simmons ever again....I have 2 or 3 I have taken off, they work fine, the quality of glass is just junk.

n4ue
    Quote Originally Posted by bushwackr View Post
    Hi all
    I built a couple rifles that are long range rifles that are pretty hard recoiling rifles and I put leupold vx3 lr's on those. I figured they will need good glass to take the pounding. Now I have 2 more in the works one for me and one for my better half. Neither are big boomers so I dont think I need to set out another 2k for scopes for those. I am looking at the Nikko Stirling target masters, has anyone used one of the 6-24x56 or the 10-50x60. Mine is a 6xc will be used for fclass with a 600yd max. The mrs is a 6br the will prob never see 300yd plus. I was thinking the Simmons 4.5-18x44 varmint for this rifle. Im all for high quality glass but I was hoping this time I could keep a little extra cash in my pocket. Has anyone used either of these and what are your thoughts of them.
    Hi. I have 3 Vortex Vipers and love them. Millett makes some great glass and I have a few of the LRS-1s. I also have the Nikko you mentioned and it has excellent glass. I have found that when you get to the $400 plateau, you have reached the point of diminishing returns. YES, the high $ scopes are better, but at a cost. I have a dozen Savages and although I have big boomers, I find the most fun comes with the .243 class and down.
    I also don't do a lot of dialing up and down, so I can't say how the cheaper models hold up in that regard. Just remember that an air gun will quickly trash some rifle scopes, due to the recoil dynamics. Look into Konus and Mueller, also. Great glass and won't break your wallet. I have Nikons, etc. Latest is a Leupold which is OK.

ron

Redfield revenge 6-18 or the Nikon buckmaster 6-18. You can find both right around the $300 mark and are great scopes for what you get.

emtrescue6 I was looking at the premier scopes. they have some nice scopes at decent prices

emtrescue6
    Quote Originally Posted by bushwackr View Post
    emtrescue6 I was looking at the premier scopes. they have some nice scopes at decent prices
    I have several Swift Premier scopes, some for over 20 years now....and haven't had a complaint about them yet!

Weaver T-24

COplains
    Quote Originally Posted by BarrelBurner View Post
    Fwiw check out Midway USA for Simmons Whitetal Classic 6.5-20×50mm was $109
    I bought one about 3 months ago and quickly ordered another shortly after. Lots of reviews on Midway for it. As a comparison I pulled a Redfield Revolution 4-12×50mm and the Simmons sits in it place now. Clarity is closely aproaching my Vortex Vipers and they track pretty well too.
    +1 for the Whitetail. I have one from the good build days. It is a scope, period. No bells and whistles, a simple reticle and mounted on my Weatherby 223 I can hit anything first time every time out to 300yds without touching the turrets. Thats as far as I have shot it since I put it on the 223. Simple, easy and works. It's staying put, a better varmint combo would be hard to find IMHO.

Basic Member
    I have a Millet LRS 25X on a Savage 10BA that's had probably 1,500 rounds through it. My son used it for a season of 1,000 yard F class last year and it tracked fine. It just was not the optimum scope for F class w/ the thick reticle and 25X, so we replaced it w/ a Nightforce.

I've used it for fun shoots over 1,000 yards and think it's a great scope for the money. If you shop around, you can find them under $500. I just used same rifle and scope for a 600 yard F class and it worked well. The biggest upside w/ the LRS is the internal elevaiton. You won't need a canted base to shoot 1,000 or more, they have 140 MOA of internal travel.

Cat 64
    Anyone any experience with Osprey 10x40-50?

Take a look at the vendor section. Good deals to be had right now on some quality Vortex glass.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

n4ue
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat 64 View Post
    Anyone any experience with Osprey 10x40-50?
    Hi Cat 64. I don't have an Osprey. You have probably checked the reviews on Amazon, Optic Planet, Midway, etc. However, I have a weak spot for scopes in this price range. ha ha
    I may be mistaken, but I 'think' most of these scopes are very similar, regardless of the name on it. They probably come from the same factory. Scopes from the Phillippines (spelling?) seem to be higher quality. FWIW......I have several 'spare' scopes that look exactly the same, all Chinese. I have only had one Chinese scope fail and it was a TacVector. I got a refund, so no big thing.... Try one (if you can get a return policy) and if you don't expect NF or USO level glass, you'll be OK.....

ron