Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Velocity isn't everything

Velocity isn't everything

I spent some time over the winter shooting and developing loads for my two ruger super blackhawks (41 and 44 mag)--what an eye-opening experience that was!

If you think getting good groups with a rifle is a challenge--or you've reached a point where you feel it no longer is; you should try a revolver some time. MUCH more challenging than a rifle!

It has also opened my eyes to the fact that there is more to a good cartridge than propelling a sleek high BC jacketed bullet at as high a velocity as possible. Bullets such as all-lead semi wadcutters with wide meplats can achieve devastating results with impact forces typically much lower than what is considered acceptable for ogive/secant nose bullets (within reasonable handgun distances, of course). It's actually fired up my interest in lever-action rifles to piggyback off my revolver loads.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

"Velocity isn't everything"

Yes it is

signed
    Frankypoo
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post

Yes it is

signed
    Frankypoo
    Maybe I should rephrase that to what I meant: "Achieving maximum velocity isn't everything."

Yes it is

signed
    Frankypoo
    HAHA I saw the title of this and was going to reply "Shhhh don't tell Scope eye"!!!

Basic Member
    Old John Taylor, if he were still alive, would agree with you, thermaler! As well as some of us old guys who've seen the results of "old and slow" on animal tissue! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_KO_Factor

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Yes it is

signed
    Frankypoo
    Somehow, just somehow I knew this was coming.

If it wasn't for velocity Deano wouldn't have any reason to reload.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    I spent some time over the winter shooting and developing loads for my two ruger super blackhawks (41 and 44 mag)--what an eye-opening experience that was!

If you think getting good groups with a rifle is a challenge--or you've reached a point where you feel it no longer is; you should try a revolver some time. MUCH more challenging than a rifle!

It has also opened my eyes to the fact that there is more to a good cartridge than propelling a sleek high BC jacketed bullet at as high a velocity as possible. Bullets such as all-lead semi wadcutters with wide meplats can achieve devastating results with impact forces typically much lower than what is considered acceptable for ogive/secant nose bullets (within reasonable handgun distances, of course). It's actually fired up my interest in lever-action rifles to piggyback off my revolver loads.
    I couldnt agree with you more. I own 3 different versions of 44mag and 1 454 Casull Raging Bull. Dispite knowing full and well that the majority of the projectiles for these big bore wheel guns have poor ballistic coef. Ive managed to tighten up groupings by using slower burn rated propellants and reduced charge weights.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    some guys sit on a bucket on a stream bank and soak worms hanging from a long cane pole with no reel.
    some guys get poled around on a boat all day clutching a flyrod and never make a single cast.
    the list goes on and its all considered fishing.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    some guys sit on a bucket on a stream bank and soak worms hanging from a long cane pole with no reel.
    some guys get poled around on a boat all day clutching a flyrod and never make a single cast.
    the list goes on and its all considered fishing.
    that there is the product of 80 years of wisdom-producing experience and observation. :)

Yobuck will be here shortly to remind you it's only 79
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Like others, when I read the thread title all I could think was "scope eye is gonna "soil" his pants!" I laughed when I saw he was the first to reply. I hear he has a new rimfire round in the works to compete with the 26 Nosler!

I know guys who play the speed game and I understand but I don't go nuts over it myself. I have found for rifles though that all but one of mine shoot best at, slightly over, or just below max book.

Basic Member
    Most guys that reload end becoming OCD unless they start out with a chronic case of reloader's OCD.

With Deano, it's more like a quest. He won't be happy until he can create a time warp with a bullet.
    Be advised, do not take reload advice from him unless your health insurance is up to date AND you have a Kevlar face shield. I tried some of his loading advice but I had to draw the line when he tried to convince me it was OK to anneal a loaded 50 cal. round....

Basic Member
    Yeah, Maztech, there does seem to be a correlation between getting the cartridge case pretty full of powder and the accuracy results. Doesn't always work, but cartridge cases that are pretty well stuffed with powder, requiring me to compress the powder a bit to seat the bullet to the correct COL, have frequently been real winners in the accuracy department. I always work my way up to that level of powder charge very carefully, and search for any sign of excessive pressure. And, if I get pressure signs before I reach the compressed level of powder charge, I stop, back off, and look for other, safer options.

All I can say is:

Think of a hole puncher. lol

Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    I couldnt agree with you more. I own 3 different versions of 44mag and 1 454 Casull Raging Bull. Dispite knowing full and well that the majority of the projectiles for these big bore wheel guns have poor ballistic coef. Ive managed to tighten up groupings by using slower burn rated propellants and reduced charge weights.
    Be careful--the next thing you know you'll be loading 44 specials while impressing everyone with your big irons! LOL ; )

Be careful--the next thing you know you'll be loading 44 specials while impressing everyone with your big irons! LOL ; )
    Why you pickin on the special? Lol
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Why you pickin on the special? Lol
    Well, if you're driving down main street on a Saturday night in your 67 corvette stingray--you wouldn't want the girls to know under the hood was a VW engine, would you? lol

Basic Member
    well, if you're driving down main street on a saturday night in your 67 corvette stingray--you wouldn't want the girls to know under the hood was a vw engine, would you? Lol
    touche' !!! :)

All joking aside--just like eddie says using "small bang" vs "big bang" in a revolver makes a big difference in learning how to shoot one well. I still have a long ways to go before I feel I could confidently hunt with my magnum revolvers.

[IMG][/IMG]

Well, if you're driving down main street on a Saturday night in your 67 corvette stingray--you wouldn't want the girls to know under the hood was a VW engine, would you? lol
    Why not? The ones I'd be looking at have silicone under theirs! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Why not? The ones I'd be looking at have silicone under theirs! :)
    You live in Florida near Frank?

You live in Florida near Frank?
    No but we're charter members of the same club

Basic Member
    +1 Charter Memberof "the club" :)
    Someday I hope to live the lifestyle that my wife and children enjoy.

TC260
    All joking aside--just like eddie says using "small bang" vs "big bang" in a revolver makes a big difference in learning how to shoot one well. I still have a long ways to go before I feel I could confidently hunt with my magnum revolvers.
    Ah another handgun hunter in the making! Be careful, once you get used to just tossing the iron in a holster and heading out, hauling a rifle around is gonna feel weird. Then heaven forbid you get into Stikers, TC's, XP's....you're life is going to be ruined

Basic Member
    Did I see someone mention Florida and silicone inflated women?
    Someone's gotta help the old rich dudes spend their money. You know, the low velocity old guys...

By the way Therm, nice pair of hand cannons ya got yo sef' there, son.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast