Thread: Firing mechanism- extractor - trying to fix

davis911s

Firing mechanism- extractor - trying to fix

I have an old savage 1904 that used to belong to an old relative. I am trying to get it fixed for my kids to shoot gophers.

It didn't have a firing pin when I got it so I fabricated one, now I have it so that it shoots, but it doesn't extract the empty shell? The weird thing is the extractor works well until the weapon is fired. So if I put a shell in the chamber, the bolt will extract it if it is not fired, however once the shell is fired it will not extract.

Any ideas?

Basic Member
    It sounds like you have a rough or dirty chamber... Or another problem people have is leaving excessive lube in the chamber. The lube will boil in the chamber with each shot and turn to a gummy gue first then a scorched crust making extraction near impossible. Clean and scrub the bore/chamber, lightly lube, then wipe it dry with a clean patch before shooting. Someone may have been shooting shorts or longs in the longrifle chamber so there may be a little lead ring build up. A good scrubbing will help clear this too. Start there, if the problem persists have a gunsmith inspect the chamber as it may need to have a reamer clean it up.
    Edit: Oops' almost forgot in a rifle that old black powder rounds were likely fired in it. If it wasn't cleaned after use the bp may have etched a rough spot in the chamber. How does the bore look? Shiny? or Rough/cloudy? Let us know how this is turning out.
    Last edited by Indigo22; 04-01-2014 at 06:36 AM.