Thread: Still having ejection problems on *one* gun... magazine related?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Still having ejection problems on *one* gun... magazine related?

Gun is a 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. Factory Target Action, factory barrel. All sitting in a McRee Gen5+ TMAG folder aluminum chassis, with Vortex Razor HD 5-20x scope and Gemtech Sandstorm Ti suppressor. Full-tilt boogie practical/tactical 'gaming' rifle. Shoots great.

Now I know that Savage actions can be a little fussy regarding case ejection - I've put enough rounds through enough of them to have ran across it before. What I haven't seen before is where going from one batch of brass to another of the same brand/manufacturer would cause a shift from (mostly) reliable ejection to complete failure. As such, I thought perhaps there was something amiss with the new brass.

I measured the case head diameter on the 'old' cases... .4685", .4680", .4675", .4685", .4685". New case measured between .4670" and .4675". Given that every once in a while I'd have one case not eject all the way before (rare, but it did happen) I thought maybe it was the odd .4675" case that was the culprit. So I dug through the clean old cases and found 4 more that measured the same and ran them through the gun. All five ejected flawlessly, and five of the new cases still refused to eject. Huh?!?

The next thing I measured was the extractor groove diameter... the new cases all measured right on .3910" to .3915". The fired cases measured .3950" to .3965". The latter ejects pretty much as I expect, and the former... does not. I asked around on another forum (65creedmoor.com) and others have brass with similar measurements, so I don't think thats going to change any time soon. Just seems odd, really odd, that the gun would be *that* sensitive to extractor groove diameter?

So at this point I got a SSS Improved ejector kit, and installed both it and the oversized extractor ball. Took it to the range yesterday... and ejection still sucked, badly. Once in a while, rounds would eject maybe 3 in a row, but usually not more than one. Good thing this rig has a drop box magazine, as that was the only easy way of getting the dang cases out.

At this point... not sure what else there is to do to the bolt as far as ejection/extraction, other than get a whole new bolt head?

One thing that did occur to me when I was fishing the empties out of the ejection port (had ample opportunity for *that*
    ) yesterday was that it looked like the next round was riding awfully high... and where the majority of cases were coming off the bolt was right where they hit the shoulder of that next round. Now I'm starting to wonder about whether tweaking the mag feed lips so the next round isn't sitting up so high might be what needs done here?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by memilanuk; 04-02-2014 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Language