Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Action Purchase

Cat 64

Action Purchase

I want to build a new rifle. It will be a 260 AI. I have already purchased the barrel (Criterion 28"). Now I want to buy the action. Just finished building a 6mm BR using the Savage target action (LBRP) and the original f-class stock. It shoots and looks great. I could not find anywhere at this time the same action for sale. My wife gave me some money for my B-day and now I have around $1000 to spend on an action. I love the RBLP concept. I looked around and checked many outfits selling actions but it appears most cost more and come without trigger and / or trigger guard. I am still debating if I want a single shot or not. Later I might want to use this action for longer cartridges. I am welcoming your thoughts.

Basic Member
    PM sent. check the classifieds here for nice action

Basic Member
    Call Jim at NSS (763) 682-4296. A new action comes with trigger and trigger guard. Sounds like someone is trying to get over on you plus they are well under 1000 bucks.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Cat 64
    Jim is out of these actions. I was referring at the custom made actions I.e. panda, stiller, surgeon, templair etc.

Basic Member
    Many customs use Remington styles. Ive been eyeing either a pierce or defiance myself. But since you bought the barrel already you have to figure something out

sinman
    Stiller is right in your price range

Why not a shilen action,takes savage barrels,has the floating bolt head,what is not to like and takes a remington style trigger.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Yes if I already had a savage barrel I'd be getting the Shilen. Otherwise there is a pile to choose from but unless you are looking to have the barrel rechambered and a new shank threaded, I believe the Shilen is perfect for your needs and price range. Ugh, the thought of a Jewell trigger in something that takes savage barrels....I need a cold shower!!!

Basic Member
    I just bought a BAT. It cost more than my custom Savage. So I feel you.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    Why not a shilen action,takes savage barrels,has the floating bolt head,what is not to like and takes a remington style trigger.
    Basically the Shilen action they are referring to is about as close to a Savage Clone as you can get...think Panda, Stiller Remington 700 clones except substitute SAVAGE...

Seems they have taken the best of 3 actions and put it in one. Savage floating bolt and barrel nut, remington parts compatibility and bolt, stiller action. Is there a downside? It's pricey but it's custom quality...

Glad to see you around...post some pics of that 6BR...

Cat 64
    How do you insert a picture here anyways?

Cat 64
    I talked to Shilen people on the phone. Is this a good action? Did not see too many reviews. And how do I make sure it fits my Criterion bull barrel I purchased already. Is the competition recoil lug I purchased from Jim with the barrel going to be good for 'marrying' the Shilen action with that barrel?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat 64 View Post
    I talked to Shilen people on the phone. Is this a good action? Did not see too many reviews. And how do I make sure it fits my Criterion bull barrel I purchased already. Is the competition recoil lug I purchased from Jim with the barrel going to be good for 'marrying' the Shilen action with that barrel?
    If their actions are as good as their barrels...HELL YEAH...

Cat 64
    Does the Shilen action fit my Criterion large shank bull barrel?

No I believe the Shilen actions are small shank.

Cat 64
    What other actions will fit my Criterion large shank bull barrel?

Basic Member
    Me...I'd have a competent smith rethread it to small shank and run the Shilen...cost you about $100

Cat 64
    So I guess most actions take a small shank...1.057

Basic Member
    So I guess most actions take a small shank...1.057
    There are lots of large shanks out there...mostly magnums and short magnums and target rifles...but my guy tells me the small shank is 3 or 4 to 1 to large shanks...if I already had a large shank Criterion barrel and I wanted a custom action (most if not all will be small shank) then I'd buy the action and take the barrel to a competent smith, maybe even call Criterion and ask them to do it and turn the shank down from large to small shank and run with it...that Shilen action is one I have been drooling over for years, floating bolt head, barrel nut, M700 pattern and accepts M700 and Jewels triggers...Its got WIN all over it...look at the shear number of M700/700 Clone stocks that are out there vs Savage offerings...that and the jewel trigger alone is a huge selling point...

Cat 64
    Nobody has in stock Savage standard caliber bolt head RBLP (18182) target action. I can find though the 223 bolt head RBLP (18183). How much alteration I need to do to arrive at the former action? Where would I find the necessary parts?

Cat 64
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPTBEACH View Post
    There are lots of large shanks out there...mostly magnums and short magnums and target rifles...but my guy tells me the small shank is 3 or 4 to 1 to large shanks...if I already had a large shank Criterion barrel and I wanted a custom action (most if not all will be small shank) then I'd buy the action and take the barrel to a competent smith, maybe even call Criterion and ask them to do it and turn the shank down from large to small shank and run with it...that Shilen action is one I have been drooling over for years, floating bolt head, barrel nut, M700 pattern and accepts M700 and Jewels triggers...Its got WIN all over it...look at the shear number of M700/700 Clone stocks that are out there vs Savage offerings...that and the jewel trigger alone is a huge selling point...
    Hey Beach. What I will do is take the barrel to the smith and re-threaded to new specs. Unbeknownst to me, beside the customary difference between large and small shank, there is another difference in small shanks for Remington and Savage. Remy has a 1-1/16"-16 thread and Savage has 1-1/16-20 thread. I will get the Stiller Predator V RBLP action.

Basic Member
    Hey Beach. What I will do is take the barrel to the smith and re-threaded to new specs. Unbeknownst to me, beside the customary difference between large and small shank, there is another difference in small shanks for Remington and Savage. Remy has a 1-1/16"-16 thread and Savage has 1-1/16-20 thread. I will get the Stiller Predator V RBLP action.
    That Stiller is a hell of an action...BEFORE you pull the trigger on that Stiller (pun intended) make sure you can get the barrel re-threaded to small shank 1 1/16th -16tpi (REMINGTON) the reason I state that is there is only a few thousandths difference between Savage large and small shank...the thread pitch is the same at 20tpi so there may not be enough meat there to remove to re-thread it to 16tpi follow me? YOur smith may tell you he cant do it UNLESS he cuts the barrel, re-chambers it and then cuts new threads...Also I don't think the Stiller uses a barrel nut like the Shilen does...you'll need a smith to remove the barrel and head space it on every barrel change...This would not be an issue with the Shilen RBLP action...it might with the Stiller...

Cat 64
    That Stiller is a hell of an action...BEFORE you pull the trigger on that Stiller (pun intended) make sure you can get the barrel re-threaded to small shank 1 1/16th -16tpi (REMINGTON) the reason I state that is there is only a few thousandths difference between Savage large and small shank...the thread pitch is the same at 20tpi so there may not be enough meat there to remove to re-thread it to 16tpi follow me? YOur smith may tell you he cant do it UNLESS he cuts the barrel, re-chambers it and then cuts new threads...Also I don't think the Stiller uses a barrel nut like the Shilen does...you'll need a smith to remove the barrel and head space it on every barrel change...This would not be an issue with the Shilen RBLP action...it might with the Stiller...
    Ok...you just ruined my day...LOL. I looked at their site and I gathered that the predator uses a pinned 3/16 recoil lug. That in itself made me assume the barrel swap will go like I would do it on my criterion barrel and savage target action. Shilen is not telling me on their site any specs.

Cat 64
    So, if I can exchange my large shank for a small shank will the shilen rifle fit with out any other transformation?

Cat 64
    .Also I don't think the Stiller uses a barrel nut like the Shilen does...you'll need a smith to remove the barrel and head space it on every barrel change...This would not be an issue with the Shilen RBLP action...it might with the Stiller...[/QUOTE]

So if the Predator uses a recoil lug I don't have the problem you mentioned above correct? I should be able to mate the barrel with the action ( and headspace it myself) like I did with the savage target action correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast