Thread: Hornady American Whitetail

SThomas3791

Hornady American Whitetail

Anyone running Hornady American Whitetail 150g .308 through their Axis XP? How does this rifle like them?

Quote Originally Posted by SThomas3791 View Post
    Anyone running Hornady American Whitetail 150g .308 through their Axis XP? How does this rifle like them?
    I'd like to try them too. Are you talking factory ammo or hand-loads?
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

SThomas3791
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    I'd like to try them too. Are you talking factory ammo or hand-loads?
    talking the factory loads. local shop has them at a decent price and i got intrigued :) i guess hornady came out with this load specifically for whitetail size game and only in the most popular deer calibers. just wasnt sure if it was more a marketing gimmick or an actual good round?

Quote Originally Posted by SThomas3791 View Post
    talking the factory loads. local shop has them at a decent price and i got intrigued :) i guess hornady came out with this load specifically for whitetail size game and only in the most popular deer calibers. just wasnt sure if it was more a marketing gimmick or an actual good round?
    Coming from the purveyors of green-tipped zombie-max ammo; I'm sure it's no gimmick at all lol.

SThomas3791
    only thing i can do is run em through my axis and see how they are :) thats half the fun though right?

I ran a box through my .308 m11. They grouped around 1.5-2 inch group. I feel they would group better if I had more rounds down range with this gun.
    I would try them again if I found them again.

As far as I can tell they are basically interlock bullets with their proprietary powder charges. I'm assuming they have come up with some concoction that beats what we can hand-load?

the Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    As far as I can tell they are basically interlock bullets with their proprietary powder charges. I'm assuming they have come up with some concoction that beats what we can hand-load?
    their data says the .308 load is a 150gr Interlock going 2,820fps, nothing special, matches all the other standard factory offerings. reloaders can best that speed with a few different powders.

Quote Originally Posted by the Ranger View Post
    their data says the .308 load is a 150gr Interlock going 2,820fps, nothing special, matches all the other standard factory offerings. reloaders can best that speed with a few different powders.
    That's what I thought--but the claim is laid down that they achieve improved accuracy--we'll see.

Bharada
    I've shot it through my new 10 THXP. The 15 rounds shot over the course of three range trips averaged 2822 fps 10' from the muzzle. Accuracy for three 5-shot groups averaged about 2".

Quote Originally Posted by Bharada View Post
    I've shot it through my new 10 THXP. The 15 rounds shot over the course of three range trips averaged 2822 fps 10' from the muzzle. Accuracy for three 5-shot groups averaged about 2".
    comparable to Kore Lokt in my book; maybe that's what they were aiming for.

SThomas3791
    Weathers been cold, snowy, and windy around these parts. May get up in the 40's next week and if so I might hit the range with this round. Will let yeas know what I get out of them.

Basic Member
    I bought 2 boxes for my girlfriends 25-06 since I didn't trust her to not hit shoulder with my SST loads. They shot so poorly that I thought her scope took a crap. Like 3" "group"s at best at 100 yards. Went back to hand loads and 5 in a half inch... I love hornady products for what they cost, but I'll never purchase these again. Still have a box and a half sitting on the shelf to pull apart and use as brass for her varmint rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Maztech89 View Post
    I bought 2 boxes for my girlfriends 25-06 since I didn't trust her to not hit shoulder with my SST loads. They shot so poorly that I thought her scope took a crap. Like 3" "group"s at best at 100 yards. Went back to hand loads and 5 in a half inch... I love hornady products for what they cost, but I'll never purchase these again. Still have a box and a half sitting on the shelf to pull apart and use as brass for her varmint rounds.
    Uggh!

robert2286
    I shoot hornady on all my guns! 30-30, hanguns and my 30-06 kn american white tail and it was really consistent... My preferred cheaper ammo

Tjudeburton
    Top three cold barrel, bottom four warm barrel. 150g American whitetail shot from howa 1500 30-06 at 100 yards. It's the only factory ammo I'll buy!!

robert2286

Hornady American Whitetail

American whitetail!
    First shot was low! I adjusted! The next 4 shots were on the money! 100 yards ... My 30-06 has only seen hornady! Superformance and american white tail

As the old saying goes; "there's no accounting for taste." : ) Seriously--that's nice shootin.

robert2286
    Thanks... I shot the first shot! Adjusted! Shot 2 more and told my buddy to
    Ck it out from his scope! He asked if he could shoot my rifle! I said but yes of course! He shot 2 rounds and we got them 4 group! 2 days later he bought a savage! Lol! He has older winchester rifles and there great but he wanted new technology that work... He shot it and felt in love!

Basic Member
    I shot these through my long range Savage 11 .308 build 24in barrel. I averaged just under 3/4in groups at 100yds