Thread: Magnum primers?

Luke45

Magnum primers?

Goes in the chamber a 280 rem, comes out 280 ai. Im addicted.

Question: for slow burning powders like h1000 and retumbo ect, is there a benefit of magnum primers or should i stick with standard? Thanks

I prefer to use magnum primers with anything slower than IMR-4831, but that's just my personal preference.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Vince
    I use Magnum primers most often but I shoot mostly magnums.
    That will likely change when I get the 6.5 x 284. Very cold weather and large powder charges are why I tend towards magnum primers.

Basic Member
    Let your rifle's performance guide you in your selection of primers. If you don't get the accuracy, velocity, or extreme spread you want, change primers. Just remember that the safest approach is to reduce the powder charge when you switch from standard to magnum primers and be very alert for pressure signs.

Basic Member
    id be asking other 280 ai shooters what works best for them for a quick answer.
    i dont see the need for them in 06 size cases but what ever works works.

Luke, FWIW I started load developement with mag primers in my 280 AI. Its been consistent at 1/2 moa with them and H4831, so I haven't even tried standard primers in it. My fourth batch of hand loads produced these results so I just stopped right there, it was built as a hunting rifle so I called it good enough.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by BarrelBurner View Post
    Luke, FWIW I started load developement with mag primers in my 280 AI. Its been consistent at 1/2 moa with them and H4831, so I haven't even tried standard primers in it. My fourth batch of hand loads produced these results so I just stopped right there, it was built as a hunting rifle so I called it good enough.
    Thanks for the input! ill most likely start out load development with magnums and step up untill accuracy falls off or pressure signs develope. ive got a good amount of h1000 and retubmbo but i cant find any H4831 or SC which is what id like to use but its whatever you can find these days

Basic Member
    I use magnum primers in my 6.5-284. Retumbo and 140's = 3000 fps. One grain less with magnum primers.

TC260
    I've always shot Wolf just fine in a 280 AI and they're pipsqueaks compared to most standard primers let alone magnums so I don't see a pressing need for magnums. That doesn't mean magnums won't work better though. Give 'em a try and report back.

Luke45
    Thanks a bunch guys, i will try them out next weekend and report in