Thread: Savage Target Action for .338 Norma?

Basic Member

Savage Target Action for .338 Norma?

I'm kicking around the idea of putting together a 338 Norma, and since I like my Model 12 F-Class so much, I was considering using a Savage Target Action.

I looked at the Savage page at

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/actions/target/

and it's not clear to me whether one of these actions would work.

I understand most "standard" calibers have a case base diameter of .501" but the 338 Norma and Lapua have a case base diameter of .585" ... would I just need to put a different bolt head on the bolt?

Also, I'm not sure whether the Savage Target Actions would have a long enough port. I see the 338 Norma has a COAL of about 3.68" versus about 3.34" for a 30-06.

For you guys who are building .338 Lapuas or Normas, what actions are you using, and what problems / solutions are you finding?

Is there a Savage action that I could fit with the Savage Target Accutrigger that would be up to the task?

Thanks in advance for any clues. As you can tell, I'm only in the early stages of kicking this idea around.

Sounds like it would be single shot only and you'd have to remove the bolt to extract a loaded round.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

defoxer
    The 338Norma Mag is a big case, same length as the Lapooa, at 93.5mm(3.68inch) same rim diameter at 14.93mm (0.588), slightly different rim geometry and the case body has a lot less taper than the LM (extraction??)

The target actions are all short so the actual loading may or may not even be possible without bolt removal, maybe someone who owns a target model can try to slip either a NM or a LM round into the chamber thru the port.....

Basic Member
    Thanks, fellas. I guess I need to shop around for a different action.

defoxer
    You could always start with an LRH in 338LM, note you will not be able to do a straight chamber ream as the NM case quite a bit shorter than the LM... rebarrel necessary.

I'm not going ask you why you want to go for the NM, as it does have a gross case volume almost 10% below the LM and the case is basically the same length as the WinMag and the volume is way down on the RUM.....

... because it sounds interesting and you'd probably be the first guy on the block with one.... good luck with the project and have fun shooting it!!

Most barrel makers and gunsmiths will not chamber a prefit for a Savage action in a Lapua bases cartridge due to the rim diameter of the round. Some will do it if you can prove you already have a Lapua action or send in your Lapua to be rebarreled. The factory Lapua actions are different from the standard long actions. They are large shank, enclosed top, and use larger lugs in the action. I too wanted to do a 338 NM due to being able to be mag feed able, but as I researched it, about a year ago, I found that due to the rim diameter, and in turn the bolt thrust created by that, no one would do a barrel for me without a factory 110 Lapua action. No point in buying a factory Lapua gun to turn it into an inferior, ballistically speaking, cartridge. I just gave up and decided to build a single shot 300RUM. COL will be over 3.9" with the Berger 230gr Hybrid target bullets, making it to long to fit in any mag system that is compatible with a Savage.

Basic Member
    I think the N is about 6-7% less case capacity than the L. But apparently the N is more efficient than the L and you can also get equivalent velocities from a shorter barrel.

Also, I think you can load the N with 300 gr bullets with a shorter COAL than the L loaded with 250 gr bullets.

A number of people are also suggesting the N seems to have a bit more potential for precision than the L, but Internet folklore is worth about what you pay for it.

Anyway, thanks for the info, guys.