Thread: Hogue over molded stock issue

amayer

Hogue over molded stock issue

I just got in a Hogue over molded full bed stock for my 111 TH XP. I first realized the trigger guard wasn't fitting right, then the barrel was contacting the stock at the end, and there was a gaping hole where the mag well should be. I called Hogue and was told on the newer 111's the mag well is part of the molded floppy stock and that I would need to order a DBM mag well from Savage.
    Also, on the top end of the rear action screw hole on the Hogue, there are three raised nobs. I don't know if these are intentional or just left over aluminum. I'll contact Hogue again Monday and find out.
    Even with these issues, the Hogue seems rock solid. Hopefully, I just need the mag well and all will fit.
    I'll update after I talk to Savage and Hogue on Monday.

AMayer

Last edited by amayer; 03-29-2014 at 10:12 AM.

Tjudeburton
    It's the same thing with boyds stocks! I had to order the bottom metal myself. You can order the composite version from savage like i did. Only 14 bucks.

amayer
    Good to know. I'm pretty sure the nobs on the rear hole will have to come off.

cardinbanjo
    Very interested about the three little pieces sticking up. My buddy took is off but I have not yet am curious to see what Hogue tells you. We put the stocks on model 16.
    Tony

If you are switching stocks on a dbm,why do you need new dbm if you already have one? I'm confused(easily).
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    .243, Current Trophy Hunter does not have the DBM surround metal. It is molded into the stock. Replacing stock requires removable bottom metal.

You will have to remove those tabs on the top of the pillar. Can't imagine why they would come that way.

amayer
    I'm pretty sure the nobs are supposed to be there. when I put the straight edge flush on the front block, it rests on the nobs. The front block is contoured to the curvature of the receiver as are the tops of the nobs. The nobs are actually part of an aluminum insert within the rear block which itself is flat.
    Maybe this is done so the same rear block is used for multiple guns.

This should get cleared up when I talk to Hogue tomorrow.

amayer

Basic Member
    Set the barreled receiver in it and see. It will fit like it is or it won't.

Sounds like you ordered the wrong stock.You need one for a blind mag.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    Those little "knobs" have a purpose, but Im confused why they are on that particular inlet. The "knobs" as you call them are what is left after a clearance cut is made for an "L" bracket, which is meant for a blind magazine. Evidently they use the same program to cut both stlye stocks.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    OH, NOW I get it.

cardinbanjo
    My buddy took the little knobs off and thought it fit better. I am still going to wait and see what you find out at Hogue.
    T

Those little "knobs" are on the stagger feed model as well.
    I have a flat back sitting in one and fit was proper with out out the box.

amayer
    Found my thread! Everybody stop looking. How was I supposed to know my Hogue after market stock discussion should be in this after market stock forum?
    :)

Hogue confirmed that the knobs/nobs are supposed to be there. Something to do with the magazine clearance. I was unable to get through to Savage today but will try tomorrow.

I appreciate the comments from everybody. Savage shooters seem to be overall more helpful than many forums out there.

amayer

cardinbanjo
    I will say my friend that took the knobs off seems to not effect the gun. Shot a few times at 200 yards from a rest the holes were almost touching each other and rounds bolted and ejected properly. Our guns are custom .358 with 1.8 inch casing length. We love the Savage platform.
    T

amayer
    I got the DBM mag frame today and installed it. I also ordered two pillars for the screws but don't seem to need them. The gun went together fine, mag seats and feeds, and barrel floats. Also put on the DNZ Game Reaper mount.

The part number for the mag well:
    109399 Frame, long, syn, matte (DBM)

Thanks for all the input,
    amayer

cardinbanjo
    So did you leave the little knobs on the Hogue stock?
    Tonuy

amayer
    I did leave the knobs on. Hogue said they were intentional and the receiver sits correctly in the stock.

Dogtired
    Do you find any flex in the fore end of the stock.

cardinbanjo
    A very small amount of flex when you purposely try to move it. a fraction of the original Savage stock
    T

amayer
    Like cardinbanjo said, there is a very small amount of flex, but overall a very solid feel. Like I said, the barrel floats even on the bipod. I went ahead and shaved maybe a milimeter off of the end of the stock at the channel, just to be safe.
    One of the best improvements is the mag well. With the floppy stock, removing and inserting the mag was a pain. Much better now.