Thread: Savage's new entry level Rifle: The Edge

Savage's new entry level Rifle: The Edge

Wowweeee

$329 MSRP

[img width=600 height=98]http://www.savagearms.com/images/firearms/finder/ginormous/edge.png[/img]
    NRA Endowed Patron Life Member GOA Life Member TSRA Life Member NSCA Life Member

lostart

Re: Savage's new entry level Rifle: The Edge

Gotta Link?

NRA Endowed Patron Life Member GOA Life Member TSRA Life Member NSCA Life Member

amadjuster

Isn't this the same thing as a Stevens 200?

lostart

The difference that I can find is that the stevens has the internal mag and the edge has the detached mag.

The edge bolt handle is kind of cool though

Quote Originally Posted by amadjuster
    No, not as nice as a Stevens 200. Not even close. The only improvement over the Stevens is the price.

"Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by amadjuster
    No the Edge is radically different. The Stevens $200 has a MSRP of $446, so if you take that in consideration the Edge is much cheaper. (At a MSRP $329) These are Suggested prices, not what you will find in a retail store.

From my conversations with the people at Savage the Edge, is Savages answer for Remington's model 770. (They kind of look a like) Savage designed the Edge do to Remington dropping the price on their rifles below what Savage can compete with with the Stevens 200. Savage wanted to make a high quality rifle at a lower cost, and this was the Edge. The Edge is marketed for the younger newer shooter.

The edge is a radical design, with a new style of receiver using newer technology, that should produce a higher quality product. The receiver is modeled off of the target actions. The tang is removed,due to the high amount of machining cost. It has a side safety, and no rear baffle. The detachable magazine is completely different. The stock is made by a new process. The edge will still use a floating bolt head, and the same button rifled barrels as the Savage line. The have it chambered in a ton of calibers 223, 22/250, 243, 7mm08, 308, 25-06, 270, and 30-06.

Without actually seeing the gun, I have high hopes for this gun, and think it is a step forward for Savage.

Basic Member

Do you know if it uses the same bolt spacing as the newer line savage? what aftermarket parts like the competition trigger? any compatibility issues?
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97
    Do you know if it uses the same bolt spacing as the newer line savage? what aftermarket parts like the competition trigger? any compatibility issues?
    Not sure yet, will have to wait and see when someone finally gets one. I been told that the trigger is a one piece self contained unit, but was also told that they used the old Stevens trigger in it. Right now it is hard to tell what will transfer over and what will not.

Don - LongRangeSupply

Dealer cost is $40 less than the Stevens for the base model Edge. They are in stock and ready to ship at some wholesalers in 223 / black / no scope.

For someone wanting a removable magazine rifle at a slightly lower price point than the Stevens this will fit the bill.

lostart

If we can make a lam stock fit it, I'm in. Detach Mag might cause a problem with that though. I'm looking for a customizable base for a .223. This is definitely an option, but I like a wood or lam stock.

82boy

The problem with a laminate stock is with the magazine. SSS can inlet a stock for what ever you would want, and they could inletted it for the edge. Until someone actually get a hold of one and gives a report, we can only speculate what they did. I know from my conversation with Savage that the magazine is different than used on the center feed guns. I was told that the magazine spacer in the stock can be flipped and used for either a long or a short action, there is no metal parts, (Latch, bottom fixture, magazine, ETC) and what can be adapted is an unknown. It may be possible to use the Savage bottom metal and magazine set up from a center feed rifle. (And that is if the bolt spacing is the same) So it is hard to tell right now what can and can not be done to them. But rest assured if there is a way SSS will make it happen.

lostart

I am sure that they could. But it may be cheaper to go with a 200 and forget about all of the work. More of a plug and play kind of thing.

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by lostart
    I am sure that they could. But it may be cheaper to go with a 200 and forget about all of the work. More of a plug and play kind of thing.
    Yup.

ellobo

I have a feeling that Savage was motivated more by the Marlin design than anything else.

El Lobo

7stw

Hello folks, new guy on the block. Just recently joined and am getting my feet wet . In reference to this thread, is this the rifle that Dick's is seling as a "package rifle"?. I saw one there recently, and it did heve the DBM. I don't know if it was a "edge" or not but by the description, it does sound like it. They were selling it for I think about, $379. Just curious!

That was most likely a Stevens 200, but I could be wrong.
    Kelly

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7stw
    Hello folks, new guy on the block. Just recently joined and am getting my feet wet . In reference to this thread, is this the rifle that Dick's is seling as a "package rifle"?. I saw one there recently, and it did heve the DBM. I don't know if it was a "edge" or not but by the description, it does sound like it. They were selling it for I think about, $379. Just curious!
    I don't think so. I haven't seen the new Edge at Dicks Sporting Goods yet. Normally what Dicks has as a package rifle is a basic Savage 11 or 111 with BDM but without accutrigger.

Basic Member

fwiw Walmart has the savage "package" with the acu-trigger for $384
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

82boy

I seriously doubt it, one the price is too high. Second the Edge was just released to a few dealer on March 1, The edge does come in a package series, with a 3x9 scope.

ba_50

Will the Edge take the same barrels as the others?

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by ba_50
    Will the Edge take the same barrels as the others?
    Yes, but the stock is very thin, and doesn't have enough room for a varminter profile barrel

EGW1

The Mount has different hole spacing than the Short, Medium or Long action.
    I expect the same for the stock screws. No tang will also be different in the stock dept.

The Mount is the longest std mount we have made. I expect one action lenght for all calibers.

geo

www.egw-guns.com

lcnorris

Hey im new here and dont get on much ,but i just bought the Savage Edge in 308 Cal. I'll try and let ya all know what i think when I shoot it. The trigger assembly is all one piece and is adjustable not sure how much though. I dont know what base it takes either for a scope.The front and rear are round so im guessing it takes the same as the new style mounts.

Frankdm

I bought my Edge XP package in 243, all black at a local gunshop for $324 out the door. I am really impressed with the accuracy at 100 yards, can't beat the rifle for the money!! A good 22 rifle could cost near what I paid for my 243. The scope is nice and clear and it was very close to hitting the 10 ring at 100 yards, only took 5 shots to set it in. I put a Harris bi-pod and a black sling on it to dress it up a bit. I think Savage will sell a ton of these things!! Hope they bring it out next year in the 22 Hornet, I'll have to add one to my collection.