Thread: Question on rifle scope mounting: Steel or aluminum base/rings?

ezmiraldo

Question on rifle scope mounting: Steel or aluminum base/rings?

Hi guys! Is there any real-world difference between having "steel" base/rings and having "aluminum" base/rings? When is steel better than aluminum? How big is the actual difference? When is aluminum better than steel? How big is that difference?

Sorry, I'm a total newb when it comes to optics issues, and my questions are probably really dumb...

I want to shoot targets to about 1000 yards, and hunt out to perhaps 500-600 yards max. I want to have a rigid optics rig that can withstand some inevitable real-life abuse (such as accidental bumping of the scope on a tree, perhaps accidental drop of the rifle on the ground, firing recoil). FYI, I'm shooting savage trophy hunter 111 in 30-06, and have 6x46 SWFA SS scope.

Thanks in advance!

Savage6x284
    I've had many sets of the Talley LW's which are aluminum but by far my favorite scope mounts are those offered by S&K which are steel.

A good high quality aluminum mount is fine as far as strength goes but aluminum mounts are invariably bulkier than steel ones. Purely cosmetic but sleek good looks are a very nice bonus for using the superb S&K's.

thomae
    In the real world, at least to me (I don't operate in any extreme environments or conditions) I don't think it makes much of a difference. Nothing I can notice on target.

ezmiraldo
    Thanks guys! I am thinking of putting single-piece aluminum base and aluminum 6-hole rings from Weaver Co. How is the quality of their products? They appear very affordable - I can get both the rings and the base for about $60 total.
    Last edited by ezmiraldo; 03-29-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Basic Member
    The aluminum base will work just fine. For decades one of the most popular setups were cheap little weaver aluminum bases.
    As for the 6 screw weaver tacticle rings, i feel they are a very good and reasonable choice. We have them on some heavy recoiling
    guns like 30x378 and 338x378 without issues. Buy it and enjoy it.

JDUB007
    I had some weaver aluminum rings on a hunting 12 ga slug gun rig for years...held great against recoil and held their zero...however recently went to mount new scope and when tightening the rings back down the steel screw (allen) head pulled through the aluminum bases with minimal torque...I think the years of temperature changes make thin spots in aluminum brittle...so I now go steel everything...that's just my experience
    the newer aluminum tactical stuff appears to be better made than the rings I had so you may be ok with the 6 screw weavers...just make sure you use torx screws and lighten up the torque wrench for the aluminum vs torque you might use on steel
    Again for longevity in variable temps steel the way to go IMO