Thread: need help

chestsprings

need help

just had built on a Savage target action, 6BR, 26 inches, put a EWG 20 base.........weaver T36.......with Burris Signature "Z" rings.....

is the 20 enough to get me to 1000 yards, or do I use a -5, & +5 Burris inserts, or 10's or 20's......

thanks

Basic Member
    You should have enough elevation with this unless something is way off.

KRP
    Quote Originally Posted by chestsprings View Post

is the 20 enough to get me to 1000 yards, or do I use a -5, & +5 Burris inserts, or 10's or 20's......
    It's your rifle and scope...why don't you tell us?

chestsprings
    KRP,

If I knew, I wouldn't be asking for help.........

sounds like you don't know by your "smart" reply........

what's your beef ??????????

The only way you're gonna find out is to get it zeroed and see how much elevation you have left to play with. I think you'll find that 20 will be close, but not close enough. If you can get 16" above a 100 yard zero you're in the ballpark at 1000.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

chestsprings
    hotolds442

thanks for the info. that's some thing I was looking for that will help me...........I had no idea how far above 100 yds that would get me close at 1000.....

now I have a "benchmark" to work with...........I'll try the 20 with zero's, & if I can't get min. 16 inches high at 100 yds, I 'll put the 5's in, if I do get more then 16 inches, & have some adjustment left , then I can start from there ..........

really appreciate the info.......

thanks........

BW64
    My bud just set up his Savage with the 20 & he has plenty of elevation in his scope. I have 20 on my Rem 700 & it's more than enough. I do think it depends on the scope though. Are the z rings high or low? I have the Millet high rings & my bud has the Voretx rings.

BW

chestsprings
    BW64

the rings are medium.........the spacing between the rings is 5 inches, & the space between the barrel & the bottom of the scope is approx. 1/4 inch......

at 100 yds., I'll try zero's, then the 5's............based on Hotolds42 suggestion above, my goal is 16+ inches.......this gives me a start........

thanks.........

KRP
    Quote Originally Posted by chestsprings View Post
    KRP,

If I knew, I wouldn't be asking for help.........

sounds like you don't know by your "smart" reply........

what's your beef ??????????
    You're right, I don't know. Why don't I know...because it isn't my rifle/scope/ammo/shooting conditions/etc.. Zero your rifle and figure out your available adjustment, then subtract the needed adjustment for your situation from the available adjustment. If you come up with a positive number you have enough, a negative number you need more.
    Last edited by KRP; 03-24-2014 at 09:33 PM.

KRP
    So you know, I have several 6BRs and have shot them to 1000+ yards. With a 100 yard zero using 105-107 grain match bullets at typical BR velocities I would expect to need ~30 minutes of adjustment to get to 1000 yards. You really didn't provide any pertinent info in your original post and expected someone to provide a magical answer.

chestsprings
    Quote Originally Posted by KRP View Post
    So you know, I have several 6BRs and have shot them to 1000+ yards. With a 100 yard zero using 105-107 grain match bullets at typical BR velocities I would expect to need ~30 minutes of adjustment to get to 1000 yards. You really didn't provide any pertinent info in your original post and expected someone to provide a magical answer.
    I'm sorry I'm not as "technical minded" as you...........if I was, I could expect a "magical answer".........

I appreciate the other posters info..... they had helpful info, not derogatory...........

I need to correct my info a bit, when I entered a BC into iStrelok, I fat fingered it. With a 105 AMax at 2900fps zeroed at 1000, the table shows 29.4" high at 100. KRP's info was spot on.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

thomae
    Getting too snarky. Closing thread.

14. 03-28-2014, 11:00 PM
    Reason
    Revisionist Historian: I can make things happen in the past.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.