Thread: Axis in 270 winchester

Basic Member

Wink Axis in 270 winchester

Convinced my girlfriend to buy a rifle last week.she bought a axis xp in 270 for $300 flat out the door here in Newfoundland. great little rifle, a little bigger then my 22-250 axis but it fits her good but not perfect.had to bring the scope back as far as it would go for her to see the full picture.may have to get the egw mount for it though and maybe a cheek riser to get it to perfection.the store also had some old winchester 270 140 grain fail-safe for 15 dollars so we bought 4 boxes.they seem to be accurate enough.she(and me wink wink) will be using it for moose, caribou, and black bear and maybe a whitetail if the plan goes ahead to go to nova scotia this fall with her uncle.anyone have experience with the fail-safe bullets?i haven't seen any off them before until now.

Basic Member
    Get the extended base (#402) if you need any more eye relief. I put it on all my long action Savages. Definitely do the trigger mod. She will have a fine shooter. If you hand load, the 130 Ballistic Tips or 130 Hornady soft points are very accurate and the Hornady is very affordable.

Before you spend anything on the rifle you might consider having her shoot it. The 270 on a light rifle like the Axis can be less than a pleasurable experience. She might not care for it. Just sayin!

lotusboyrulz
    I have a axis in .270 win and it hurts my shoulder after about 40 shots . I would say maybe try to get her a .243 . Or a good limbsaver

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusboyrulz View Post
    I have a axis in .270 win and it hurts my shoulder after about 40 shots . I would say maybe try to get her a .243 . Or a good limbsaver
    Had to smile at this one. First of all, the occasions when I would put 40 rounds thru my Axis .270 in one session are rare. If recoil from a hunting rifle is too much for a shooter to stand for 2-3 rounds, maybe then I would consider recommending stepping down a bit. But because it made my shoulder sore after 40 rounds? Nah.

Second, my neighbor's scrawny 9-year-old daughter, who has become an enthusiastic shooting buddy of mine, fired 30 rounds from my .270 last Saturday. When I showed her this post, she just rolled her eyes and said, "Oh, brother!"

Basic Member
    she shoots it and don't mind it. doesnt feel like much after shooting my 7mm wsm . she likes my boyds classic stock so she got one ordered along with the extended base.if she needs some added cheek height i may have to configure some sort of cheek riser.

Oh brother? Actually I was thinking of a "non familial" two letter acronym following the "Oh" part.
    Last edited by wbm; 04-18-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: A

I have an axis .270 Same issue mounting a scope. I got the one piece mount and it made it way more adjustable . I also had to get some vortex higher rings to make the bolt handle clear the bell. I also got a boyds thumbhole with the limbsaver which make the recoil very light. My girlfriend isn't terrible fond of shooting it. So I guess I'll be shopping for one in 223

Edzzed
    I too have the same rifle. I also have a Boyd's stock, rifle basix trigger. (you'd love it) and I changed the scope. I put a Bushnell trophy XLT 4-12x40. The scope that came with it was a Bushnell sharpshooter 3-9x40 and when I went to Ebay found out I had a 40.00 scope..... What can you expect the scope to be though. An 800 scope would have raised the price of the rifle out the door by that much more. I also questioned firing 40 rounds in one outing. Maybe buddy requires a better scope or a closer and non moving target.

REDTAIL
    My Grandsson just got a new Axis in the 270 Win. & he can shoot it all Day wih no recoil problems & he is only 14 Yrs Old & not a big kid.? The recoil on the 270.? Is not bad at all.?