Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Criterion Barrels

Boogeyman

Criterion Barrels

Hi. I am very happy to announce my experience with a new 308 criterion 24" varmint contour barrel for a small shank savage action along with a heavy stainless barrel nut and a heavy barrel lug that I purchased from Jim Briggs, Northland Shooters Supply. Friday the March 21 2014 I went to the range to sight in a new Shepherd V2 scope it only took 3 shots to zero the next five shots formed a group of no more than 3/8s of an inch. The ammo was 308 168gr Fed GMM. Thank you very much criterion. Good shooting everyone.

That seems to be the typical performance of Criterion Savage barrels. My 6BR Criterion gives me similar results, glad to hear yours does well also.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Joetinva
    Still waiting for a .308 bull from Jim, the 6.5 Creedmoor I got is a very accurate barrel.

Basic Member
    I think they are probably the best pre-fit barrels made for the Savage rifles.

cookiemonster
    I to am looking at the criterion .308 but i have to wait until end of May/June. So Boogeyman you recommend the criterion. I too was talking to Jim at Northland. i think i'll give it a shot, I hope your right. Shilen's he doesn't know when they'll be in but he has em on order.

Thats the news I like to hear. Im waiting on my Criterion in 280 AI. (Supposed to be around June) Itll be my first build, cant wait to see how it shoots...hopefully it will be a shooter like yours
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

So is a refit barrel a drop in replacement for what it is replacing?

Basic Member
    I just put on my CBI barrel for my 300WM. I had to special order it since I needed it threaded a certain pitch and I had it bead blasted.

I'm excited to see what this rifle will do with TBAC. From all of the Criterion owners...sounds like I made a great choice in barrel selection. I hope I like it as much as the Shilen select match that I owned.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    Thats the news I like to hear. Im waiting on my Criterion in 280 AI. (Supposed to be around June) Itll be my first build, cant wait to see how it shoots...hopefully it will be a shooter like yours
    Scooter, what barrel length and contour did you order on your 280 AI? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on one myself.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    Scooter - what barrel length and contour did you order for your 280 AI? You say it should be here in June - when did you order it? I'm close to ordering one myself.

Sc1911....that somewhat depends on your idea of drop in fit...but pretty much the answer to your question is yes....provided you get the same barrel contour....and the appropriate headspace gauges.

Rddog...I ordered a 24in, "light varmint" contour, bead blasted. I plan on hunting with so I didnt want a real heavy barrel but I wanted a little heavier than sporter. Jim from Northland was great to deal with, and explained everything in detail.
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Scooterf79,
    TNX for the reply. New to the LR game and have a Savage Palma in 308 that was hardly shot for a very good price. I now have all I need to shoot and reload. Although I have been reloading for years, never for a rifle. My original plan was to shoot the .260 Remington and since I have a lot of supplies for that I want to duplicate the barrel contour and such in that caliber and change it over. I will get another rifle/pistol in 308.

Basic Member
    Just received a Criterion barrel from Northland. The finish inside and out is very nice. I ordered it un chambered and threaded for my large shank 300WSM action. It did come threaded so I thought I would try it on my action.
    Perhaps I did something wrong but I assumed that it would just screw on without a problem. I was wrong. Got it screwed in about 2/3's of the way and it just plain stuck. Tried putting some oil on it to get it loose and it turned back about 1/2 way before it stuck again. Finally succeeded in getting it off by hand but it took all I had. Now the threads seem to be galled and the barrel nut will not screw off.

I have never seen this before. Wondering what I did wrong.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Basic Member
    I'll bet you are using your "old barrel nut"?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackinSD View Post
    I'll bet you are using your "old barrel nut"?
    It had nothing to do with the barrel nut. The barrel nut is on the barrel from Criterion and it was screwed all the way out. I am talking about the threads sticking about 2/3's of the way into the action. It wasn't even screwed all the way in when it stuck. And the barrel nut(the new one) never got near the action. I didn't try to headspace it I just wanted to screw it in and see how the barrel was gonna fit into the barrel channel on my HS Precision stock.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Front sight base screws still in the action?
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Yes they are because the bases are still there. I guess I should have been clearer. The 300wsm barrel that was originally on this action screws in all the way. The new Critertion barrel only screws in part way and then sticks like crazy.

Take the base screw out of the action closest to the barrel nut. You most likely have slightly larger threads on the criterion barrel that have been damaged by the scope mount screw. Get a small triangular file and lightly touch up the damaged portion of the threads and you should be able to clean it up enough to allow it to be installed fully.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Thanks. That sounds reasonable. I will try it.

Did you get your problem corrected?

FYI: I found that EGW and other major manufacturers provide screws that are too long for the front base and the screw binds with the barrel, you can test this by dropping in a small ball of wax and then fitting the base and then remove the screw and check the wax ball, if wax is totally crushed and you can see the threads, then the screw is too long.
    newbie from gr, mi.

davbrant
    Ditto on Criterion and Northland. 20 practical, varmint contour. 32gr VMax, VVn133. .2-.3" when I do right.

Guys I've got five of the CBI barrels four for my Savages' and one on my AR and they all are great. Only caliber I am struggling with is 22 250 1-9 shooting 53 gr. Vmax. Jim is a good guy to deal with. Only other issue has been the wait time over the past year from CBI.
    Good shooting.

kimbajmann

my crit

Quote Originally Posted by Boogeyman View Post
    Hi. I am very happy to announce my experience with a new 308 criterion 24" varmint contour barrel for a small shank savage action along with a heavy stainless barrel nut and a heavy barrel lug that I purchased from Jim Briggs, Northland Shooters Supply. Friday the March 21 2014 I went to the range to sight in a new Shepherd V2 scope it only took 3 shots to zero the next five shots formed a group of no more than 3/8s of an inch. The ammo was 308 168gr Fed GMM. Thank you very much criterion. Good shooting everyone.
    I bought a 24" light varm in 260 from him and he took time to explain things to me on the phone regarding his recoil lugs. The guy is stand up and the barrel is just as good as my shillen 260 that I have on my other rifle. The light var is a tad to thick for a hunting rifle , but I do not mind humping the weight. I cannot say anything bad about it as it shoots well and no leading/ copper fouling to speak of - cleaning is a breeze, chamber is great for the 140 class bullets. I would shave off 20 thou all around if I wanted a lighter hunter- in between the crit light var and say a magnum sporter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Did you get your problem corrected?
    I did. Sorry it took me so long to answer. Got sidetracked with a 280 AI build. And finishing the stock on my Fox 16 ga

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast