Thread: Pro chrono software?

tking

Pro chrono software?

Anyone use the competition electronics pro chrono software? I've actually got the software and like it but I'm hesitant to pay $50 for the cable to connect the chronograph to the computer. Does anyone using this know if their cable is required or can I get a cheaper one?

Basic Member

Re: Pro chrono software?

I would also be interested. I have a Pro Chrono but neither the software or the cable. I think I read somewhere that it is just a 25' USB cable.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

Basic Member

I don't have much info on the chrono. But I assuming that the cable can be gotten for cheaper than 50 bucks.

johndoe3

I have had the ProChrono Digital for 10 years and like it. You can download the software for free on the company website. Link to download is at the bottom of the page.
    http://www.competitionelectronics.co...igitalusb.html

I don't have the cable, but from the website it looks like a 25 ft cable with simple plug connection, and a USB plug in module for the computer where the data cable plugs into it. The USB plug in module is probably unique or hard to obtain.

tking

OK, you do enough digging and you find the answers you were looking for. It turns out the the cable itself is just a plain old 25ft cable. However, the cable plugs into a "dongle". The dongle then plugs into the usb port. The dongle has a driver in it that allows the software to download the info from the chronograph. So the answer is, YES you have to purchase their $50 set up to use it on your computer.

johndoe3

MidwayUSA has them in stock.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=538940

I never had a use for it until a few weeks ago (no laptop), when I bought a Netbook for business purposes. I downloaded the software for free to look at it, and it does give you capability to read, record and control the chronograph from the shooting bench. This would be very useful to me when doing load workups at the paid shooting range with good shooting benches. It is hard to do a ladder test when there are other shooters and you have to wait until the range is cold to get the data. I never minded doing the paper method of data recording, but was very frustrated when there were other shooters at the range. So I may get the package now that I can utilize it. With it, I could shoot the entire ladder test or specific load tests while the range is hot and get all the data in 1/10th the time.

Normally I shoot on the free open rangeland at no cost, but the paid range works well with the nice steady shooting benches, for chrono work. Or, I guess I could buy a portable shooting bench.

Basic Member

I bought the USB kit for the ProChrono Digital. I thought 50 bucks for the ability to remotely control the chronograph, create printable records, and store/archive records was one hell of a deal compared to what other manufactures want for those features - IMHO.