I bought this 308 at the end of December and have shot nearly 400 rounds through it. I get groupings all over the place. It is so bad I can't center the scope. 2 rounds will go 3" down and to the right and the next 2 will go 2" high and to the left. The 5th May or may not follow any of those shots and could be be up to 6"s off center. That also sometimes happens the first shot or the last shot, it doesn't matter. Maybe one of six will hit bullseye so at some point the scope is as centered as I can get it.

I have used 4 different types and brands of ammo from 180 grain down to 130. I have tried 3 different scope mounts (red lock tight) and I am on my 3rd scope, a higher end BSA specifically purchased because it is for 308 or higher calibers so that blowing the scope wouldn't happen. My old Mosin that I cut and crowned the barrel shoots consistent half inch groups so this problem is very disheartening.

It doesn't matter what ammo or scope and base combo I try, I cannot get consistent groupings at 100 yards. I have had 4 other accomplished shooters try shooting the gun and they all have the same result...the gun is all over the place.

I followed the Savage break in procedure to the letter and tried many different type of shooting positions from a bipod to 4 different type of rifle rests. Conditions have ranged from no wind to light breeze which still doesn't matter. I have also checked and double checked to make sure the barrel is free floating correctly in the stock. A dollar bill slides between the stock and barrel just fine if not catching the slightest at the front right side of the stock.

I cannot hunt with this rifle in good consciousness because aiming for the heart/lungs of a deer could result in the bullet being off enough to hit the animal in the hind quarters making it bleed out a slow and painful death.

I am getting ready to pack up the gun and send it back to Savage as it is under warrantee but before I do, I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions. I would need to either take the scope off or remove the stock to be able to box it and ship it unless I use a Gamo case and try to make a box for it out of card board.

Anyone know what I could try or did I just get unlucky and get a barrel that has problems?

Thanks,
Dan