Thread: BSEV Mark II 22lr Feed Problem - Bullet galling

ak-holic

BSEV Mark II 22lr Feed Problem - Bullet galling

First time trying to use gun with 10 round mags was a disaster.
    When I could chamber a round I really had to push the bolt forward and sometimes, I could not get the round to chamber but it would extract.

Thought the Lapua Midas Plus was the issue as I was able to get my buddy's Winchester ammo to feed ok.

I did not bring my stainless 5 rd clip that came with the gun. Tried this clip out once I got home and it did feed better/smoother, but not perfectly.
    Adjusted the legs on the clips and it did help but did not fix the problem.

However, I could see a slight wear mark line (front to back) on the bullet. Sometimes I'd even see a chip the size of a small fish scale.
    Read that the stainless mags were more trouble free so I ordered 2 ss mags after already receiving my blued 10 rd mags.

Same problem. Bullets galled, but not as bad.

So back to the web.

After an hour of searching, I found this link:http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...b-fixed-54913/

Exactly what was happening with mine.

I examined my bolt and the bottom forward end of the bolt had all sharp edges. The important one is the forward bottom one that runs left to right.

Typically most metal worked products would have a statement in their design drawing saying something like "break all sharp edges and must be free of burrs".

So I took some 150 grit sand paper and broke/lightly sanded the sharp edges.
    I did not round the edge anywhere near as much in this guy's pictures, but I basically and "JUST BARELY" removed the sharp edge.
    No more than 10 very light strokes with the sandpaper.

Like this guy says, take a little off, try cycling your rounds, remove ever so slightly more until you are no longer marking your rounds.
    And actually, its not the round I was chambering that got galled up, it was the next one coming up in the magazine because the sharp edge on the bottom of the bolt that runs left to right was digging into the next round in the clip and was trying to feed it along with the one in the bolt.
    By breaking the sharp edge, the bottom of the bolt would no longer catch, but rather push the next round downward and back into the clip, letting the top round feed smoothly into the chamber.

Now, the bolt cycles slick as butter and no more galling.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

fartsinpublic
    That's not galling, btw. If you were experiencing true galling, you would not be able to close the bolt. The adjacent metals would pretty much weld themselves together at the point of interference. Some grades of stainless are particularly prone to it, especially in threaded situations, but the dissimilar metals between bolt and cartridges, with low magazine spring pressure will not typically lead to galling. (If it does, that is something I'd love to see a photo of.)

Just like "clips" and "magazines" are not the same thing (to some), scraping/shaving/scoring and galling are not the same.

I have seen threads here and on RFC about folks adjusting how deeply their magazines (or your clip) seat, to prevent the bolt and top-of-round from being scraped. There are also threads about the magazine follower shape, and how that affects the angle at which the bullet is presented to the chamber. The top edge of the chamber can sometimes take a fish-scaled chunk out of a round if fed quickly and misaligned.

You might want to try to experiment with snap caps to observe in slow motion how the bolt strips a round and chambers it.

Good luck with it. I'm sure the rifle appreciates the fine Midas ammo that you're feeding it. Post some pics. I'm curious how that Midas works out for the Mark II. I haven't come to feed mine on that diet yet... :-)