Thread: Where to buy parts/assembly?

Where to buy parts/assembly?

For over a year, I've been a happy owner of an Axis XP .223 ... but it's right-handed and I'd like to upgrade the caliber.

Ideally, I would like to get an Axis setup with the following,

1) Left-handed
    2) 7mm-08 caliber
    3) Stainless barrel
    4) Boyds stock
    5) Simple trigger mod

I can't seem to find the combination of lefty + 7mm-08 + stainless anywhere. So it looks like my starting point would be a lefty 7mm-08 with standard blued barrel and then change the stock + barrel.

Question: Does it make sense to buy a new/used rifle and change both stock + barrel? Is it possible to buy a sub-assembly without stock + barrel instead? If so, where?

I'm not a gunsmith, this would be my first custom rifle job. I'm inexperienced so I'm not considering starting "from scratch" (from individual parts) or anything like that. What are my options?

COplains
    There are many members here with a of knowledge, that shoot 'wrong-handed' (ducking away from rounds tossed my way..laffin), and can help out. I would suggest you become a paid member ($15 well spent) to be able to access all this site has to offer, including the classifieds, and start reading. You will find the rainbow at the end of the road :) kb

There have been a few stainless 7-08 barrels on the classifieds, some were unfired takeoffs. Any small shank 7-08 barrel will work on your Axis. Since you're going with a blued action, you could call Savage Customer Service and have them build you a lefty with a stainless barrel in 7-08. You'll likely pay full retail for it, but you won't have to hunt long and hard for a barrel.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

little squirt
    so you can convert a axis .308 to a 7mm?

7mm-08, 7mm Mauser, 284 Winchester, 280, etc. etc. etc....
    if it'll fit on a small shank long action, the axis will accommodate it. I wouldn't try a magnum tho.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    You can make them long or short action using the caliber barrel you want. The trigger guard will determine what magazine will fit.

Obviously a 30.06 based cartridge will not fit in a .308 based magazine.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

So I just have to ask, why the need for a stainless steel barrel? Are you under the false impression that stainless barrels are inherently more accurate or something?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Stainless for me is just to keep the rust away (and I like the looks of it).

lotusboyrulz
    Last time I checked that's what blueing was for is to keep the rust away . Do you plan to this rifle hunting???

Yes, this is for a hunting rifle. Blueing is good but tends to scratch/scrape away over time.

I've since become a paid member and watching the classified ads like a hawk!