Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 190 Yard Squirrel

190 Yard Squirrel

So, I'm at the range this A.M., just became a member last week, and I'm shooting my 110 LA .223 at 200 yards. Had JUST gotten set up, fired the first shot and adjusting the focus/parallax. Movement caught my eye in the lower portion of the scope...YOU GOTS to be kiddin' me! A squirrel is bopping around on the ground just a little shy of the target stand. I switch my focus and sure enough, Mr. Squirrel is having a great time. In my warped mind he's almost saying "C'mon Bri-an! Let's see what ya got! You ain't got nuttin'!!"

Something came over me and the next thing you know he's in the crosshairs. This is my second shot ever with this gun at 200 yards. I know I'm shooting a little low so I put the crosshairs just above his head and squeeze...

BLAM! The squirrel is still dancing but to a different tune! Two spasmodic "hops" and (never saw this before on a squirrel) but his bushy tail is flagging. Then...all is still. The guy next to me is cracking up "You nailed his A$$!" he says.

We walk up, and the bullet went in his left front face / head and tore through his body, almost severing his right rear leg on exit.

1st blood for me with this gun.

190 yards (almost exactly) 55 Gn. Hornady SP in front of 26.2 Gns. of Winchester 748, Remington BR primer.

All of the many squirrels I've eliminated were done with a .22LR- a few with a .17HMR. Happy with the accuracy of my gun, BUT- if you like to eat squirrel, you shouldn't use a .223 Rem.- leaves a mess.

Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

I sure hope it wasn't the Rally Squirrel!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

If it was either of the two ranges I belong to you would no longer be a member.
    Shooting at wild life on ranges around here is a no no.

PS nice shot.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post

PS nice shot.
    You are right- and I shouldn't have done it. I had an opportunity and I took it. Although there is nothing specific..actually at all..in the regs about it, I am sure it would generally be frowned upon.

Having said that-I was pretty proud of the shot...

Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    I sure hope it wasn't the Rally Squirrel!
    LOL- I don't know what that means...all I can tell you he was on the larger side, a male grey(most all are grey squirrels around here), and VERY yellow teeth. Know way for me to judge how old he was, or if he was the "Rally" squirrel...? Poor dental hygene (sp) and a death wish! I had just fired a round that apparently went right over him or at least by him...could it be that he had alzheimers? Most greys are really skittish- fire a gun and they get scarce really quick. I recently made a couple of "cutter" squirrel "calls" to try and help with that- but really won't be able to test them until much later in the year.

Does this mean all future squirrels will be more difficult??

(BTW- check your PM's re: shipment, and apologies for my lack of communication...)

Brian

PS nice shot.
    BTW- thanks for the compliment. I JUST noted where you are from! In your state (or is it a Commonwealth like Pa.?) you're lucky to have a gun club! God bless you- I admire you folks from Conn. and Mass. that stand on your 2nd ammend. rights- gotta be tough. Can't / dont want to get political- keep the faith!

Brian

Basic Member
    I agree PA sucks but nice shot!

How far are you from Carlisle? My sis lives there.

Go back to the 2011 NLDS, all those Phillies fans were in an uproar over that squirrel.
    Some even claimed they'd shoot the next squirrel they see.
    Good shooting though!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by limige View Post
    I agree PA sucks but nice shot!

How far are you from Carlisle? My sis lives there.
    About 3.5 hours. I'm 30 miles North, almost exactly, to center city Philly, and 21 miles South of Allentown / Bethlehem. ALL my Dad's side of the fam. are from Carlisle. Last names Cornman, Mentzer and Kistler. My youngest daughter lives in / near Alma MI.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Go back to the 2011 NLDS, all those Phillies fans were in an uproar over that squirrel.
    Some even claimed they'd shoot the next squirrel they see.
    Good shooting though!
    AHA! Thanks for the insight-I'm unusual (in many ways) but for living so close to Philly, I'm....not...really....a...Phillies (or Eagles) fan. Not into sports on TV at all really...but I can imagine - if you are a fan of ANY Philadelphia ball club, ya gotta be tough, crazy, or both! Those fans have more highs and lows than a roller coaster!

Thanks- I'm real proud of that gun (and my others too).

Brian

Brian Ct. is a state, with the worst gun laws in the country (and getting worse). Only hope is the Supreme Court. Even though gun ownership has skyrocketed the support for these new laws supposedly has gone up also, maybe, biased media I think.
    Even our state police were not allowed a new range for training ( what they have now floods every year) on state owned land, public outcry was out rageous so the plan was thrown out.
    Soon (hopefully) I will join Frank in Fla. Port St. Lucie or Stewart, if I get what I want but the wife wants Coral Spring or Davie.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Brian Ct. is a state, with the worst gun laws in the country (and getting worse). Only hope is the Supreme Court. Even though gun ownership has skyrocketed the support for these new laws supposedly has gone up also, maybe, biased media I think.
    Even our state police were not allowed a new range for training ( what they have now floods every year) on state owned land, public outcry was out rageous so the plan was thrown out.
    Soon (hopefully) I will join Frank in Fla. Port St. Lucie or Stewart, if I get what I want but the wife wants Coral Spring or Davie.
    Well, heres wishing you the best meanwhile and in the future! I think any of the places listed would be terrific! My stepmom lives in Ft. Myers, and my In-laws live in Titusville. SO..we have East AND west coast options for vacation..:>)

Brian

Nice shot--hope you eat what you kill.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    Nice shot--hope you eat what you kill.
    I shot a cougar and didn't eat it. I did have the hide tanned though. Really doubt that a squirrel shot with a 223 would be edible. 190 at a squirrel is a excellent shot!

Basic Member
    uhhh brian, how do you know there isnt any longarms tuned in here?
    there is a season on squirles, and this aint it. lol.

Basic Member
    Still open season in Michigan! LOL

Yobuck-too late to plead the 5th?? Thermaler- see my earlier post. Edible if you like puree...Chuckarmandoo- thanks. Again- know I shouldn't of done it...but how do you keep a shot like this to yourself...?
    Not trying to brag- just very happy with the gun and how far I've come in a relatively short period of time. I just gotta work on my impulsiveness...
    Brian

Basic Member
    Your all set for a prairie dog hunt. Best thing about that is theres no season on them.lol

Pd hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Your all set for a prairie dog hunt. Best thing about that is theres no season on them.lol
    Yobuck- a PD hunt is on my short list of hunts I want to do! In the meantime I live vicariously through the YouTube videos of prarie dog hunts, rock chuck hunts etc.

Brian

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrow1 View Post
    Yobuck- a PD hunt is on my short list of hunts I want to do! In the meantime I live vicariously through the YouTube videos of prarie dog hunts, rock chuck hunts etc.

Brian
    You should, in fact everybody should who enjoys shooting. Its a very relaxed and enjoyable hunt.
    No time frame by way of a season, no expensive licenses and guide fees, and no self exerted pressure
    to get an animal. Travel expence is pretty much the total cost depending on location and accomodations preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    You should, in fact everybody should who enjoys shooting. Its a very relaxed and enjoyable hunt.
    No time frame by way of a season, no expensive licenses and guide fees, and no self exerted pressure
    to get an animal. Travel expence is pretty much the total cost depending on location and accomodations preferred.
    I received a PM from a member from Idaho offering an invitation. If you know somewhere, perhaps a tad bit closer to Pa., I'd be much obliged! If you don't want to post it please feel free to PM me. I love Idaho- spent 30 days there summer of '79, St. Maries / Cour'de lane (SP) during "Paul Bunyan" days. WOW! Party hardy. But closer would be more doable for me. Thanks!

Brian

Basic Member
    If I go to idaho ill be going to hunt elk mulies or something better. How hard is a moose tag? Big horn??

Idaho is freaking awesome. I need a killer job to move there.

Basic Member
    Many of the western states have good populations of prairie dogs. Some require a license and some dont.

Hunting to some of us means a photo standing behind a trophy animal and a mount on the wall.
    In reality however not many of us ever get the oppurtunity for the trophy animal including those of us who make the trips.
    To me a mule deer has very large horns of say over 25 inches. Of all the guys ive known who have hunted them
    numerous times only a couple have nice animals to show for it. Of coarse you will never get one if you dont try and thats called hunting.
    So its highly likely you will come back empty handed without even firing a shot. Enjoyment is enjoyment, the differences are mindset.
    Last time i went west for prairie dogs i pulled into a rest area in ohio. There was a pickup from pa just in front of me with a guy and his wife.
    They were on their way to wyoming for antelope for about the 25th time according to him. He couldnt believe we were driving all that distance
    just to shoot prairie dogs. I asked him how many shots he expected to shoot. He said probably 2 total but maybe a couple more.
    I said well we expect to shoot at least 500 each over the coarse of a week and maybe more. Same could be said about fishing.
    Do you want a trophy, or do you like eating fish?

Basic Member
    Thats the reason. I duck hunt lol. Another great out west thing to do!

Yobuck- Right with you man! I like shooting- and plenty of it. I like Doves better than Small Game season; like Small Game better than Deer...

Gonna make the trip out there soon I hope.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast