Thread: headspacing with brass only 6BR

Basic Member

headspacing with brass only 6BR

I've head-spaced with fired cases, but have never seen/heard of anyone using virgin brass. Any reason I can't do that?

I did when I set mine. Ran it through the FL die and set the headspace. Been working great for me. Only downside is some factory ammo may not want to chamber, but with the 6BR most ammo is of higher quality and closer consistency. If you are handloading only then you're all set.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Thank you Boots!
    The one who dies with the most toys still dies--except in Christ.

Basic Member
    Yep. Thanks. :)

I really do prefer to use a sized fired case if possible, but in a pinch this will work fine or at least it has for me.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    Dumb question.....

How do you use a fired case for a new barrel?

Ryan
    MOAON AABE

I would try and find a used case from another rifle and then size it in my FL die. If that's not possible then get the gauges or do like mentioned above.

Sometimes you have to think outside of the box, but you can normally get there from here.

Werewolf
    Ask around, someone will give you a fired case. My ffl dealer gave me a once fired 22-250 case when I couldn't find one. Then when you size it and set headspace your gun's chamber is set to your reloading die. Works great for me!

Basic Member
    Okay.
    Cool.
    NOW I am beginning to see why y'all talk about using FL sized, once-fired cases to set the headspace.

You're matching the RIFLE to the DIE.

"AH, HA!" said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Use your fired/sized brass to head spaces, some of the gods headspace with them too.
    The only downside will be that your spec maybe non standard and you might not be able to run factory ammo.
    other than that, go for it.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    Use your fired/sized brass to head spaces, some of the gods headspace with them too.
    The only downside will be that your spec maybe non standard and you might not be able to run factory ammo.
    other than that, go for it.
    Right.
    Thanx, Stock, but the point of my OP was I do not have any fired brass. Was wondering why I couldn't or shouldn't use VIRGIN brass.

Basic Member
    foxx, you "can" use virgin brass. I want my brass fire formed to the chamber, and avoid full length sizing as long as possible. Only down sides have been mentioned above.

Good Luck-Good Shooting....Jim

Basic Member
    Thanks, again, everyone.

I'm still learnin'. :)

Savage6x284
    I hear of people all the time using brass to headspace their barrels.

To me, headspace gauges are cheap and if I can't find the proper headspace gauge I'll make it on my lathe and cylindrical grinder.

Using a FL sized case may indeed establish your headspace but it may also size the body of the case much more than is necessary resulting in brass which is work hardened from moving the metal around excessively.

Jim said it. Avoid FL sizing as much as possible.

Basic Member
    Foxx you can use virgin brass but you can run into the brass being even shorter than what your die will size it to. Factory brass is sized on the small side for the most part because it may have to go in a chamber that runs on the small side and it will easily go in a chamber that is toward the high side of the reamer specs.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Hmmm... Earl, I was planning on using Lapua brass. It's all I have.

and I'm considering what Savage6x284 said about just going ahead and getting some gauges b/c I will also be installing barrels onto some I plan to sell, anyways. I just didn't want to spend the money on them.

Basic Member
    Thanks, Stock. Guess I'm not alone, here.

Geez, I'm feeling like someone in one of those posts said a less-experienced hand loader would feel. Somewhat lost, dazed and confused over what, at first glance, seems like a simple thing.

I'm no dummy. Maybe smarter than most in some things. :)
    Why the heck can't I just learn all there is to learn about shooting and loading from one person, or a book or the internet? :)

Savage6x284
    Foxx,

With the Savage you only really need to buy the GO gauge making doing it correctly less expensive.

Basic Member
    yeah, I was looking at those.

Basic Member
    But then I was thinking, "Is 'correct' what will work for any round, factory or not? Or is it better to headspace for my specific dies and brass?" I think I'd like to have Go gauges for each caliber I have and also headspace for my dies. Unfortunately, I do not even have FL dies for all my cartridges. Maybe I need to get those, regardless.

What makes it expensive is I have bought so many used Savages (for good prices) in the past few months I can't afford to scope them all or get all the dies, brass, bullets and gauges I might really need. Why I did so is a story for another thread and another day. Part of it is due to the fact I want to try different stocks, barrels, triggers, bullets and cartridges. I also have bought some rifles intending to do some builds for friends and myself. In short, I am now a full-blown Savage addict. Frank and Boots, et al can joke about the "Savage Addiction" it all they want, but I am one for real, and I got it BAD! :)

For example, I see a NIB Stevens 7mm-08 on Gunbroker for $245 and I think I gotta have it. Well, now I gotta get a set of gauges for it, too, b/c the dang thing needs to be head-spaced b/c the original bolt was lost and had to be replaced. This stuff adds up! Dang it all, I don't even want a 7-08! LOL Maybe it would be better to sell that barrel for a $50 and not invest in the gauges to headspace it... But maybe my buddy Rick would like to have a 7mm-08... I'll hold on to it for a while, see what he says. LOL I wonder how it would look in a Boyd's Thumbhole? I hear Fred does a heck of a job truing up these actions... Maybe I'll send him this one and see for myself what that's all about. The heck with Rick, he can find his own deal, I'm keeping this one! LOL

Guys,it never ENDS! I am a freak! I need help! No, I just need another 110 in another cartridge I never thought I would ever want or need. LOL

Basic Member
    foxx, you are "bit bad"! But that's good. We should all be so fortunate as to have the Savage problems you have.

But the question is " Headspacing with Brass". IMHO, for those of us who understand what we are doing, and reload, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Where I would not be comfortable with it, say I would pass the rifle on to a young grand niece or grand nephew, friend, relative, etc., etc. In that case I would use the "Go" gauge. That way I would be backed up by an "Industry Standard". And I would not pass on a "Wildcat" to anyone who did not understand exactly what they are getting.

It seems you have not hesitated to put the money out there to take advantage of the "good deals"! My advise would be, spend what ever money is necessary to complete the "good deal"' have fun, enjoy, and don't look back! ;-))

Good Luck-Good Building-Good Shooting.........Jim ;-))

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I see a NIB Stevens 7mm-08 on Gunbroker for $245 and I think I gotta have it. Well, now I gotta get a set of gauges for it, too, b/c the dang thing needs to be head-spaced b/c the original bolt was lost and had to be replaced. I don't even want a 7-08! LOL
    Ah, buy the stink'n gauges or at least the Go then you have it (them?) for the rest of the 308 family of cartridges your gonna get. Since it seems you can't control your spending habits your gonna need it (them) again anyway for the 338 Federal you going to get. (Whoops, my bad!)

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.