Thread: Suggestions on scope mount

JBR27

Suggestions on scope mount

Newcomer here. Was hoping I could get some guidance with a problem I have with my scope mounting system for my Savage 116 in 300WM. I initially had a 2-piece Leupold set up, but couldn’t get a reasonable grouping in any bullet/load combination. I initially thought the problem was simply some bad habits of recoil anticipation, so I had a detachable muzzle break fitted to the rifle. However, the gunsmith that built the muzzle break pointed out that one of the scope mounting plates was loose (and no amount of tinkering would secure it). So I tossed that set up and went to a 1-piece mounting system, but then experienced the scope sliding forward after only three or four fired rounds, evidenced by the finish on the scope being scraped away by the rings even though I simply can’t turn the ring screws any tighter. At this stage I think I need to start from scratch with a new mounting system and was wondering what many of you guys use or recommend. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

tbartley

Re: Suggestions on scope mount

Man oh man, you're opening up another can o' worms with this one. :D

I personally have Burris XTR rings on everything, but there are other options now, such as the SS ring that is sold by SWFA (but currently out of stock, although, I think CTD has them in stock). All my optics are on a one piece slotted base. These have never failed me. Burris Sig Zee rings are a nice option, also.

I'm sure others will chime in with varied opinions and can give you some other ideas. There is such a wealth of knowledge from the folks here, that I'm sure you'll find a satisfactory solution to your dilemma. Good luck!

Good shooting everyone! :)

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by JBR27
    However, the gunsmith that built the muzzle break pointed out that one of the scope mounting plates was loose (and no amount of tinkering would secure it). So I tossed that set up and went to a 1-piece mounting system, but then experienced the scope sliding forward after only three or four fired rounds, evidenced by the finish on the scope being scraped away by the rings even though I simply can’t turn the ring screws any tighter. At this stage I think I need to start from scratch with a new mounting system and was wondering what many of you guys use or recommend. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I'm not quite clear here, was the "gunsmith" doing the tinkering or was it you? This sounds like a simple case of the front screw being too long and bottoming on the barrel threads. Over tightening screws leads to damage every time !

As far as a mounting system goes, my .300 WM has the Savage factory bases and Burris Signature rings, it works so I didn't feel a need to change it. That being said, if it is not installed correctly no mounting system will work.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

You have failed to mention one very important element what scope and what size scope tube.
    It is very possible you have the wrong rings if it is tight and still sliding.If the tube and rings match up size wise ie;1" vs.1" then I would suggest a piece of electrical tape on the ring or a very thin shim and then retighten.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

JBR27

The problem with the scope base was actually what BobT described (it was the machinist "gunsmith" that fabricated the muzzle brake that pointed it out), and the play in the base caused the windage screw to loosen, which when fired damaged the rear ring. I didn't want to go into the detail of what happened to the first set up as I had to chuck it anyway with the ring and windage screw damaged.

Funny that rjtfroggy mentioned electrical tape. When I noticed my second set up scratching the scope I only had about two weeks before elk season, so I used electrical tape around the scope and re-tightend. It minimzed the scope movement, but didn't eliminate it (although I was fortunate enough for a dumb cow elk to give me a perfect broadside at 80 yards, so I couldn't miss even with scope issues). Both the rings and the scope tube are 1''. It's six months until next elk season so I've got some time to get a rock solid mount.

I'm just wanting some examples of tried and tested mounts that work on a 300WM, and then try them out. I'll definitely look into the Burris rings as two of you that replied use them.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

JBR if you are looking for a good heavy duty mount and rings you can't beat the Burris XTR line. The rings are 6 screw and are tactical style but when torqued down the scope will not move. If you want a 1 piece base I would use the EGW rail with the XTR rings imo bullet proof.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow