Thread: .270 range report

.270 range report

Took my 2013 savage 111 trophy hunter XP in .270 win to the range today for it's 4th trip. This time I brought a tape measure instead of guessing group sizes. One note is I never had a problem with the bolt grabbing the round to chamber it this time as I have in the past trips. The only thing not stock from the factory is the one piece DNZ game reaper scope mount. I shot 7-4 round groups with it. The first was at 50 yards to be sure it was still on paper all the others 100 yards. everything was measured center to center of furthest rounds apart. Tightest 100 yard group was 1 1/8" largest was 2 5/16". 50 yard group was 7/8". I use 2 shooting bags.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Where in Florida you at?
    What ammo you using or are you rollin' yer own?

I had some pretty incredible results with my .270 using Federal Vital Shok ammo - the stuff with the 130gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. Those are what got me started in reloading. I hated taking out a mortgage for ammo to go shoot for the day - $42 / box of 20.
    Good consistent ammo if you don't mind paying that much cash.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Lakeland. 130gr Remington Core Lok off the shelf not bad for $22 a box I think. Going to start working different ammo into the mix when I go out, but really wanted a solid base of sorts to judge ammo results from. Working on collecting the gear to reload this year, but I got a lot of reading to do first. I was not so happy with the Savage at first, but it is really starting to preform better and better. This is a hunting rifle and I am glad I listened to you guys instead of throwing a bunch of money at it from the start. I should definitely be able to get some reloading gear this year since the savage is starting to tighten up.

Tried out some more factory ammo today same shooting method as above. I can't find my range card but I remember the highs and lows. Tried 4 factory loads today. 130 gr and 150 gr Remington core lok, 130 gr hornady gmx, and 150 gr federal fusion. Both Remington loads grouped 1 1/8" to 2" don't remember Any bigger and for sure none smaller. The hornady pissed me off i only shot 2 4 round groups because they were both over 3" groups. The fusion was the surprise of the day. Three four round groups that were touching and 2 that were 3/4". Which brings me to a question. How do you guys measure a touching group? All four rounds hitting in that tight. I have never had a rifle shoot any where near that tight. One thing i can say is if you aren't happy with how your savage is shooting stick with it. I never imagined i could get a $500 rifle to shoot this well consistently.

ColColt
    If you're trying to measure groups get yourself, if you don't already, a SS caliper and measure the two furthermost bullets on the outside edges then subtract one diameter(in this case, .277") and that will be your group size C-C. It doesn't matter how far apart the holes are or how close.

The fusion was the surprise of the day. Three four round groups that were touching and 2 that were 3/4".
    Fusion is good stuff. Have used it in 300WSM, 243 and 22-250. They all shot so well with it that when I am hunting with either caliber I just use the Fusion rather than reloading. The 165gr Fusion in 300WSM put 11 shots into an inch with my son's Savage 300WSM....that is all he uses for hunting now.

Thanks Colt I do have a set of calipers although I just take a ruler and go to the closest 1/16" eye balling center to center which was fine but now that the groups are that tight I am curious how tight I can get them consistently.