Thread: Going to shoot my 11VT in the morning. Advice?

Plowdaddy519

Going to shoot my 11VT in the morning. Advice?

Hey guys, it's finally thawed out enough in Ky to do some shooting, and I just happened to end up with an 11VT in .308 from my wife for Valentine's day.

Now, here's the thing. I've never owned a new rifle before, everything has either been bought used or handed down from my grandfather before he passed. One question I have, is do I NEED to do a barrel break in? Second, what seems to be the preferred grain bullet for these? I've got a little bit of everything, Federal cheapo 180 gr, winchester silver box 150gr, fed fusions with 165gr SGK, and some Winchester 168gr ballistic tips. Last question is, i know package scopes are horrible, but will this one do ok deer hunting out to around 250 yards for now?

Thanks guys

Basic Member
    I never do the barrel break in thing. I shoot it until I have it sighted and clean it thoroughly when I get home.

Give it a good cleaning before you go, then shoot away and clean it good when you get home that is all that is needed.
    As for ammo the gun will tell you what it likes.
    Remember to tighten all screws before shooting,action, base & rings and check to be sure the barrel is free floated.
    ENJOY
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

clovishound
    I picked up an 11vt in .223 a little over a month ago. I didn't find out about barrel break in, until I already had around a 100 rounds through it. Yesterday my daughter shot a 5 shot group with it that was very little bigger than a single shot hole.

If your experience is anything like mine, you will love this rifle. I too am somewhat new to rifles. I had a Marlin model 60 I bought new in the early 70s. Never shot it much in the last 25 years. Got into shooting handguns a couple years, and then decided I needed to try a decent rifle. My buddy talked me into centerfire, as I reload.

I love the trigger, and accuracy is everything I could ask for. Granted I haven't had the chance to stretch it's legs yet, but at closer ranges, the groupings are very impressive. IMO.

Plowdaddy519
    Just got done at the range, played heck trying to get it on paper, 14 rounds and hadn't touched a 2"x2" target, then FINALLY saw a splash in the mud about a foot to the right got it dialed from there. Learned a few lessons today as well. Number one, that package scope, rings and bases are horrible, to get it centered, im out of windage adjustment. Number two, this rifle LOVES Winchester ammo, either type I fed it, it shot well. Number three, pick a warmer, less windy day lol. I'll post some pics of my groups when I get home

Basic Member
    Boresighting helps. I can usually get the bullets to print within an inch of my 1" x 1" target square at 25 to 30 yds, simply by boresighting first.

Might save you some ammo next time...

Best of luck with your new rifle. Enjoy!

Plowdaddy519
    Thank ya very much. I had planned to do that, but the range i went to was 100 yards only, no closer, no farther.

Plowdaddy519
    165 gr Federal Fusions
    180gr Fed blue box
    168 gr Win ballistic tips
    150 gr Win silver box

The funniest thing about this is that after I got a few groups with each, I sighted it in with the Ballistic tips, they hit dead on @100 yrds for now, the 150 grn hit about 2.5 inches high. and both types of the Federal hit about 5 inches to the right.