Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heavy barrel bmag thread

bremereric

I found out that a gun store in and around San Antonio Texas has some. Not cheap but they can be had. I ordered one.
    Mine ended up being $425.00 shipped with taxes.
    Last edited by bremereric; 04-01-2014 at 06:51 PM.

rsh4364
    LGS said we will have them when they are released? Local DSG has 2 in stock! gotta have 1,

n4ue
    I've seen the price all over the place. I believe the MSRP is $409. I have seen them from >$500 to $330.......

I hope mine is not an 'exception' and they all shoot a good as mine. My original B-Mag is pathetic by comparison, even with a 'good Redfield' scope.
    I haven't shot 20 gr yet, but thrilled with the 25 gr stuff.

ron

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    I've seen the price all over the place. I believe the MSRP is $409. I have seen them from >$500 to $330.......

I hope mine is not an 'exception' and they all shoot a good as mine. My original B-Mag is pathetic by comparison, even with a 'good Redfield' scope.
    I haven't shot 20 gr yet, but thrilled with the 25 gr stuff.

ron
    That's great Ron. Mine is a good shooter as well without any band-aides to help it shoot. After fitting my HB/SS into my boyds stock the muzzle heavy balance is much better.
    I have shot both the 20's and 25's and at 50 yds both will group under a 1/2". At 100yds the 25's really shine, 4 shots that I could cover with a penny. The 20's on the other hand spread out to just over 1". Also,the 20's seem to be more wind sensitive, as I expected. Very acceptable for a hunting rifle in my opinion, and a world better then my original.

surfcitydude
    Seems the gun is easy to find, but where do you find ammo. I did a huge search from some of the places I buy from and nobody shows any in stock. Anyone?

Basic Member
    For some reason ammo is very scarce right now. I have only seen it Cabela's website lately and it goes quick. They only allow you one box to boot.
    Lots of it on gun broker it you want to get raped,,,,,,

n4ue
    Speaking of ammo....... The lgs where I bought my SS model, has 2 of the original guns in stock, but no ammo. Kinda hard to sell one that way.

Today, I had to go to the family Dr. for my 3 month "old fart" checkup. There is a nearby, newer gun shop. I was going to stop there before going to the Dr. But, I waited until I was done to visit the store. Dr. visit took a long time!
    When the gun shop guy was asked if he had any .17 WSM ammo, he said that 45 minutes before I came in, a guy stopped in and bought all 14 boxes!
    That could have been a 'tale', but he said he had the ammo on the shelf for a LONG time. He also said he has had very bad luck with the original BMag.....

ron

rona
    Last Sunday was a perfect day to sight in rifles so did so with the SS heavy barrel and the regular barrel B-Mag that I got back from Savage.
    The SS heavy barrel worked perfect and with 25 rounds no fliers. Very accurate and am really happy with it. Unfortunately the normal barrel B-Mag would produce one flier every 5 rounds and the magazine wouldn't lock into position. I switched magazines with the new one and no difference so the problem is in the rifle not the magazine.
    I realize I am not the only one with the flier problem but find it hard to blame the ammo as used from the same box for both rifles.
    I returned it to the store and they will send it in. I sure wish they would switch it to the heavy barrel for a little boot money.

n4ue
    rona, I agree with the swap idea. I have a bunch of Savage rifles, mostly Axis with 4 M12s and 2 M25s thrown in. I have been very, very happy with the brand UNTIL I got the original BMag. The results I have had so far with the HB SS model have renewed my faith in Savage. I 'feel' that folks that are unhappy with the original model should get some kind of trade-in deal for the new SS model.
    Some folks will be happy with their original BMag. I wasn't, but I LOVE the SS model.

FWIW

ron

bremereric
    Quote Originally Posted by gsperaz View Post
    That's great Ron. Mine is a good shooter as well without any band-aides to help it shoot. After fitting my HB/SS into my boyds stock the muzzle heavy balance is much better.
    I have shot both the 20's and 25's and at 50 yds both will group under a 1/2". At 100yds the 25's really shine, 4 shots that I could cover with a penny. The 20's on the other hand spread out to just over 1". Also,the 20's seem to be more wind sensitive, as I expected. Very acceptable for a hunting rifle in my opinion, and a world better then my original.
    Not to hi jack the thread but what are you going to do with your old one?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsperaz View Post
    I just used a deep well socket about the same size as the barrel.
    how much did you have to open it up? haven't had time to do anything with mine yet, but thinking about ordering thumbhole stock and making it fit myself instead of waiting of boyds to come out with one done already

n4ue
    Yet another range report of the SS BMag with a new scope.

OK, today was calm and 80 degrees, perfect day to shoot (ain't they all?) ha ha
    Yesterday, I got my new silver Mueller 4.5-14X40mm scope. I mounted it with Weaver #49056 Quad rings (silver of course). It is a perfect fit. This scope came with a free sunshade. I had to remove a tiny amount of plastic from the front lens cover. The scope clears the bbl by .050".
    I have several other larger Muellers and really like them. It's clear enough that at 50 yds, you can read the numbers on the 6" shoot-n-c targets. .17 cal bullet holes look pretty big.

OK, there's the part that has me stunned.....
    I got the scope dialed in with a few 25 gr ctgs.
    I also brought some 20s with me. I was shocked to see the 20s shoot 3/4" higher. Left to right, exactly the same! Small cloverleaf group. Yes, this was at 50 yds where my portable bench is right now.

The original rifle first couldn't shoot a good group if it's life depended on it and the difference between 25s and 20s was huge. Can't wait to bring the Oehler 33 to the range.

If all the new rifles are like this, Savage is gonna sell a ton of them!!!!

If one was to be really anal, the finish of the scope is 'brighter', than the finish on the rifle. Easy to fix, I've polished other SS rifles with a buffer wheel.

gud luk

ron

bremereric
    Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    Yet another range report of the SS BMag with a new scope.

OK, today was calm and 80 degrees, perfect day to shoot (ain't they all?) ha ha
    Yesterday, I got my new silver Mueller 4.5-14X40mm scope. I mounted it with Weaver #49056 Quad rings (silver of course). It is a perfect fit. This scope came with a free sunshade. I had to remove a tiny amount of plastic from the front lens cover. The scope clears the bbl by .050".
    I have several other larger Muellers and really like them. It's clear enough that at 50 yds, you can read the numbers on the 6" shoot-n-c targets. .17 cal bullet holes look pretty big.

OK, there's the part that has me stunned.....
    I got the scope dialed in with a few 25 gr ctgs.
    I also brought some 20s with me. I was shocked to see the 20s shoot 3/4" higher. Left to right, exactly the same! Small cloverleaf group. Yes, this was at 50 yds where my portable bench is right now.

The original rifle first couldn't shoot a good group if it's life depended on it and the difference between 25s and 20s was huge. Can't wait to bring the Oehler 33 to the range.

If all the new rifles are like this, Savage is gonna sell a ton of them!!!!

If one was to be really anal, the finish of the scope is 'brighter', than the finish on the rifle. Easy to fix, I've polished other SS rifles with a buffer wheel.

gud luk

ron
    Thanks for posting.

bremereric
    I got mine today and don't need to post any pics. But man oh man is the plastic stock flimsy. I will transfer my scope and take it to the range to see what it will do. I can move it from the left to the right about an 1/8". I will call Boyds and see if they are going to build a stock for it.

Basic Member
    I contacted Boyd's and the guy that replied said he thought they were in the works for the SS HB

wonder why Jen from Boyds hasn't been on here in awhile

bremereric
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
    I contacted Boyd's and the guy that replied said he thought they were in the works for the SS HB

wonder why Jen from Boyds hasn't been on here in awhile
    I submitted the idea on their site and we will see if they respond.

bremereric

Here are some pictures of mine

I transferred my scope and such over to the new one. Note the barrel shifted to the left in the stock and the clearance at the front of the scope doesn't let me put the cover on. This is just temporary cause when I get some more funds and new scope and hopefully a Boyd's stock will go on it.

Basic Member
    that's about how warped my new one is also, haven't mounted my new scope yet, maybe tomorrow

Sniper Steve
    yeah my stock is warped also but doesnt seem to effect the hb
    Last edited by Sniper Steve; 04-06-2014 at 10:16 PM.

Looked at one yesterday at the gun show, still not at all impressed with the plastic wonder-blunder.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

bremereric
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Looked at one yesterday at the gun show, still not at all impressed with the plastic wonder-blunder.
    That's why I contacted Boyd's about a laminate replacement.

I'm talking about the whole gun as a whole - not just the stock.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

syvairgunner
    Shot my new SS B-Mag yesterday and must say what an improvement. Still have to dial it in but MOA at 100 yards should not be a problem. My stock touched the barrel on the left side so a simple fix: Take the stock off the rifle, put a little heat from a heat gun on the opposite side of the fore stock and put pressure on the stock. Let it cool a bit and then during reassembly tighten the rear mounting screw first and then the front screw, you can put slight pressure on the barrel as you tighten the screw and hopefully things line up.
    Being a left handed shooter I get to wait another month or so for Boyd's to come out with a left hand stock. For those wondering if the current stocks well work I have seen pictures of one on: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php. The suggestion was a 3/4" dowel with sand paper to open up the fore stock enough to fit the bull barrel.

Further info to come as the rifle is broken in.

n4ue
    I love mine. I polished the bbl and mounted a new Meuller scope and it shoots as good as it looks, which is saying a lot!
    Got some spare Savage stocks and already spiderwebbed one for the old rifle.
    If it don't shoot, paint it!

(old hot rodder's saying..."if it don't go, chrome it")

ron

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast