Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heavy barrel bmag thread

Crockett

What is the best product to make that barrel and action black with? I want it to be permanent.

n4ue
    I like Norrell, but have heard good things about Cerecoat. A look through the Brownell's catalog should turn up something....

ron

bremereric
    Back on the subject I sighted mine in at fifty yards. My last three shots were at the very bottom of the bullseye. I went out to 100 yards and hit bullseye again but then the 25 grain was shooting high. I just shot it and will get the scope great at 100 yards the next time I go.

Basic Member
    Good shootin !

bremereric
    Quote Originally Posted by gsperaz View Post
    Good shootin !
    Thanks you can see as I dialed in the scope it still shot some pretty close groups. It started way to the right and up. My wife loves it to.

rona
    Shows what can be expected. I wonder if the so-called fliers are due to light barrel getting to hot after 3 rounds. Doesn't seem logical but evidently the heavy barrel doesn't have this problem.

bremereric
    Boyd's has the stocks ready for the heavy barrel B-Mags.

Basic Member
    Great, I ordered a regular b-mag stock and it came yesterday, was gonna open the channel up myself and cannot send it back, got the custom high gloss finish

Basic Member
    don't think Boyds will take it back, but gonna call them tomorrow and ask. the only extra option I got was the high gloss finish, or it may be listed cheap in the for sale in the member classifieds :)
    Thumbhole with the high gloss finish, looks sharp in the box :) sad thing is I ordered a carbide 3/4 round nose wood burr to run in my Router to get it close on the opening, and then sand the rest out

guess I have made worse $150 decisions in my life LOL it really isn't funny though

bremereric
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
    don't think Boyds will take it back, but gonna call them tomorrow and ask. the only extra option I got was the high gloss finish, or it may be listed cheap in the for sale in the member classifieds :)
    Thumbhole with the high gloss finish, looks sharp in the box :) sad thing is I ordered a carbide 3/4 round nose wood burr to run in my Router to get it close on the opening, and then sand the rest out

guess I have made worse $150 decisions in my life LOL it really isn't funny though
    Don't beat yourself up so bad.

Rainorshine
    Quote Originally Posted by bremereric View Post
    Don't beat yourself up so bad.
    Yeh! I think all of you deserve medals for all the efforts you have put in trying to make shooters out of your B Mags. Savage should feel fortunate to have such dedicated customers.

bremereric
    Ordered my heavy barrel stock from Boyd's today. $108.00 to the door. Will post pics for sure when it arrives.

n4ue
    One 'good' thing about the skinny bbl bMags is the abundance of factory stocks (for cheap) on the aftermarket. I have several to epoxy up, paint, etc and not worry about the resale value of the original bMag (whatever that might be!).
    To me, it's all about having fun and my new SS bMag is a fantastic shooter, so, it allows me to play with the first model.....

Ya gotta have fun and remember in 100 years it ain't gonna matter ONE bit!

ron

Basic Member
    got it opened up and mounted :) about a half hour

used a 3/4 wooden dowel rod with 80 grit sticky back body shop file board paper stuck and stapled to the dowel

bremereric
    Good job and you saved some money.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainorshine View Post
    Yeh! I think all of you deserve medals for all the efforts you have put in trying to make shooters out of your B Mags. Savage should feel fortunate to have such dedicated customers.
    I'll second you on that Rainorshine. I bailed out till later, but these guys have really hung in there and what you said about Savage is 100 %

Rainorshine
    Quote Originally Posted by bremereric View Post
    Good job and you saved some money.
    Ditto!!! Now you have a rifle that looks great and I hope shoots as good as it looks for many years to come.

sparky123321
    I just got home from the range where I shot the original and SS Heavy Barrel Bmags side by side. Both rifles are in Boyd's stocks with the barrels completely free floating and I was using 25gr ammo. Honestly, at 100 yards, you wouldn't be able to guess which group came from which gun. Both guns shot 5-shot groups >2" at 100 yards off bipods and rear bags. Not very impressive. If I had to choose I'd probably say the original shot a little better, but it also has more rounds thru it. I really feel the problem with the Bmag accuracy is ammo related. I have shot better groups with the original Bmag in the past(+or- 1" at 100 yards) and now I wish I kept track of the ammo lot numbers. I for one surely hope the .17 WSM isn't being produced on the same equipment as the nail gun charges. I'll get my hands on some 20gr ammo and do the same side by side comparison when time permits.

I do have to throw in one disclaimer though. A little hung over today and not my best day of shooting, but I was still able to shoot 1/2 MOA with my .223 LRPV with a Shilen barrel with factory Lapua ammo.

bremereric
    Got mine mated to the Boyd's heavy barrel stock. Still leans to the left side a bit and I had to sand the front of the magazine to get it to fit good. Waiting to shoot it next weekend.

Basic Member
    when I sanded out my thumbhole stock it also was slightly to the left and had to sand more on that side just like the sporter was.. I would have hoped Boyd's would have gotten that corrected by now
    other that that all is good ( I hope ) off all next week and gonna do some shooting. hoping to see how the SS HB does at 100,200,300+ yards :) my BIL has 100 acres out his back door so I have some room

So I just picked up my HB bmag today and did some range testing with it and was able ti shoot 5 shot groups that were under the size of a dime consistently if I did my part. This is stock HB bmag in a POS savage synthetic stock, off a bipod. Good enough for me
    1946 M99 300 Savage
    2013 M111 LRH 300 WinMag
    2012 MkII F .22 LR
    2014 B-Mag .17 WSM

Here is one that I pulled the last shot on
    1946 M99 300 Savage
    2013 M111 LRH 300 WinMag
    2012 MkII F .22 LR
    2014 B-Mag .17 WSM

Basic Member
    sending my HB B-mag to savage Tuesday for them to look at, it is throwing ammo everywhere. could barely hit a 4x4 piece of cardboard at 50 yards and it was all key holed, tried ammo from 3 different boxes and it was all the same. shot some of the same ammo in my original B-mag and it was a 1 to 1-1/2 in group at 100
    not happy right now

bremereric
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
    sending my HB B-mag to savage Tuesday for them to look at, it is throwing ammo everywhere. could barely hit a 4x4 piece of cardboard at 50 yards and it was all key holed, tried ammo from 3 different boxes and it was all the same. shot some of the same ammo in my original B-mag and it was a 1 to 1-1/2 in group at 100
    not happy right now
    Wow?

Rainorshine
    Sorry to hear this! From what I could tell from the photos you did a great job of fitting the stock. I love the way the stainless looks against the wood! But these things need to shoot! Please keep us posted.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast