Thread: Am I just blind?

Am I just blind?

Or is there no search function for this forum? I am new to shooting longish distances with anything other then the rifles I handled and worked on in the Army, but I finally have access to property to shoot up to 450 yards and would like to start streching my 111 in .270 out. Here in Florida my local ranges are 55 and 100 yards, which is plenty for 99% of hunting in Florida, but I have started to hunt North of here Tennessee (hopefully this winter) and Kentucky (definitely again this winter) and the shots are there to shoot much further, but I have been limiting my self to 200 yard marking points with my range finder and building a range card for quick assessment of distance. I was looking for some instruction on mouting a scope properly on here. You guys speak of something called lapping (new to me). I got fairly good and shooting my M4 out to 600 meters with my ACOG just using hold over method but I put many, many, many of the .govs unlimited ammo down range in theater.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Upper right hand corner of your screen...
    Follow the thick blue bar with "Savage Shooters" on it to your right. Look at the bottom of the thick blue bar when you get to the right side.

The little rectangular white looking slot is your search function.

Happy searching, hunting, scope mounting, shooting over 200yds, etc....
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Hey, by the way...
    Get on Bing (or if you prefer google) and look up scope mounting / ring lapping. Peruse the video section & I'm sure you'll find enough you tube vids to become a professional ring lapper.

Good luck.

Midway has videos on lapping.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    Also remember the old cliche, "ignorance can be blissfull".
    As recently as maybe a decade ago most of us were ignorant about things like "the need for lapping scope rings".
    Now of coarse if we dont some terrible thing will no doubt happen. Ive been mounting and using scopes for more than 60 years.
    I never lapped a ring till about 2 years ago when i convinced myself to invest in the tools. Since ive checked the allignment on every
    scope i have and some for others. None so far have needed lapping including a few in cheap old weaver mounts. I went thru the motions
    on a few anyway so i could justify owning the tools. Ditto with the torking of ring screws. We were always told to tighten the screws till
    you felt they would break if you went any further. Well about 2 years ago i installed a new vortex on my sons 338x378. The windage wouldnt function
    when i attempted to bore sight it. A call to Euro optic the dealer, brought about a quick responce from a vortex rep. He instructed me to loosen the ring screws while he was on the phone. When i did the scope worked. So i had to buy a torque wrench in order to set the screws properly.
    About a week later i watched bruce baer install a new nightforce on a gun he had just rebarreled for me.
    He has a room on his shop where he has a permanant shooting bench. Just raise a window and test the guns on target to about 500 yds.
    He simply put my gun on the front rest and put the scope in the rings which were already installed. He alligned the scope to suit him then told me
    to sit behind it and check it out. Were about the same size and build but im a lefty. So i had him turn the scope slightly.
    He then proceeded to tighten it with a plain old screwdriver the same way i always did. He used no special tools at all by way of levels etc.
    For those who dont know ill tell you he is one of the premier long range gun builders in the country with numerous record holding 1000 yd guns.
    When i mentioned the vortex incident he said thats because the tubes are junk compared to a nightforce and so are lots of others.
    Suit yourself as to how you do things and what you consider important. Fact is however some things are done for our benefit or a product weve chosen and not necessarily for the benefit of the gun.
    Last edited by yobuck; 03-18-2014 at 09:46 AM.

Basic Member
    I have to agree with what my part time fellow Floridian said.
    Especially the part about never lapping in a scope. Can't say I ever saw the need to.
    As for the "over tightening the ring screws" syndrome, The only time I had a situation with it was the very first Leupold I put on one of my '06's. Somehow I got it in my head that tighter was better. Right up until the elevation turret stopped elevating.
    Like to drive me crazy until someone enlightened me...

Thanks guys blind as a bat!
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]