Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: non-resident hog hunt, on the cheap?

Basic Member

We have both deer and elk to watch out for at our camp in pa. A large percentage of the elk live in and around the populated areas.
    last summer a local who rode his gold wing to work every day during the summer hit one at daybreak and was killed. Their dumber
    than a deer along the roads. these pigs are mostly black so they'ed be hard to see at night.

the Ranger
    those are all paid services, I want to do a DIY type hunt, no fancy ranch, no guide fees.

bremereric
    Quote Originally Posted by the Ranger View Post
    those are all paid services, I want to do a DIY type hunt, no fancy ranch, no guide fees.
    You can still probably find some free ones on government land where they want to get rid of the hogs.

Best I can tell you can't hunt over bait on Texas WMA's but you can on Private property. Was looking at last years hunting data. These are drawn hunts. Page 32 for Feral Hogs. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...w7000_0112.pdf
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

bremereric
    Great find still not free and in some counties baiting is allowed.

HILL COUNTRY
    Area Code: HS HUNT SCHEDULE

HUNT DATE CODES DATES

AA

Jan. 13-16

Jan. 20-23

Any above

NOTICE:
    These extended hunt periods will have a $130 permit fee.

SPECIAL RESTRICTIONS:
    CENTERFIRE RIFLES are the only legal means that may be

possessed or used during these hunts.

BAG AND POSSESSION LIMITS:
    Unlimited feral hogs and exotic mammals.

HUNT METHOD:
    By compartment. Baiting is allowed.

PERMITS AVAILABLE:

LAST YEAR:
    476 applicants for 60 permits HUNTER SUCCESS: 39%

the Ranger
    I don't get it, here: http://www.hoghuntingranch.com/ it tells me I only need a $48 non-res type 157 and I can hunt hogs in TX for 5 days, as many as I want, any time of year.

but your telling me I have to enter a drawing for a special 4 day hunt and IF I'm selected it's $130?

something smells fishy in the state of Texas.

I think what they are saying is the only thing you need to hunt their property is that permit/ license. What I put up are the same as special opportunity Quota hunts here in Florida. Texas wildlife management seems very complicated compared to here.

bremereric
    I don't get it, here: http://www.hoghuntingranch.com/ it tells me I only need a $48 non-res type 157 and I can hunt hogs in TX for 5 days, as many as I want, any time of year.

but your telling me I have to enter a drawing for a special 4 day hunt and IF I'm selected it's $130?

Baiting, RTV's and no quota on ferrel hogs and coyotes doesn't sound fishy to me. One spot had 238%

the Ranger
    if there is no quota, why is there limited permits available? why only specific 4 day seasons? seems over-complicated for an animal they supposedly want to be rid of.

what do I need to be legal to hunt hogs in Florida? does one license let you hunt any place, any time?

Basic Member
    Dont know much about how florida handles the non resident licences. But the way they handle residents and especially seniors is the best.
    When you turn 65 they make it really tough on you. You simply stop buying licences, period, end of story. Show your id and thats it.

Ranger, the good and the bad for hunting in Texas is there is a lot of hunting available and can be very high in success rate. The bad is darn little of it comes free here unless you have a private property connection.

However there is a fair amount of Natl Forest land in the eastern part of the state which you likely know is free access to all.
    You would just need to purchase a non-resident hunting license $48 for a five day period or $132 for the annual. This will allow you to hunt non game animals such as hogs and small game. Most WMAs you will pay a fee to hunt (revenue generation To assist in operating cost I suppose).

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...prdb5426745.pd

FWIW: I will say this,I love to hunt hogs but even living in Texas I don't make the drive anymore to hunt the free areas. Hunting pressure can be fairly high depending on the time of year and sucess rates for those unfamiliar with the area fairly low.
    But you can find some pretty good hog hunts for about $150- $250 and if you are a bow hunter sometimes less than that. Its pretty cheap insurance if you think about it compared to what you would spend in fuel alone for making a road trip like you would have to get down hear.

i wish you good luck and hope you are successful where ever you decide to go, hog hunting is a real hoot!!

happy hunting, Glenn

Non resident seniors still need a license. Goes like this for non resident wanting to hunt hogs on a WMA. 10 day hunting license $46.50, WMA permit $26.50. You nust apply for a quota permit to hunt any WMA that is a lottery draw. THere is no hunting on WMA out of season, which coorespondes with Deer season basically. There is NO baiting on a WMA that is what can make specifically targeting Hogs in FL a bit more difficult. Now that said you need NO license to hunt Hogs in FL on private land per FWC page. You do not need a recreational hunting, freshwater fishing or saltwater fishing license or a *Florida waterfowl, migratory bird, deer, turkey, snook, spiny lobster, archery season, crossbow season, muzzleloading season permit or *management area permit if...

• You are a child under 16 years of age (also exempt from federal duck stamp requirements).
    • You are a Florida resident age 65 or older possessing proof of age and residency or possessing a Resident Senior Citizen Hunting and Fishing Certificate. Residents age 65 or older may obtain, at no cost, complimentary hunting and fishing certificates from county tax collectors' offices.
    • You hunt or freshwater fish in your county of residence on your homestead or the homestead of your spouse or minor child, or if you are a minor child hunting or freshwater fishing on the homestead of your parent.
    • You are a Florida resident certified as totally and permanently disabled and you possess a Florida Resident Disabled Person Hunting and Fishing License (hunter safety requirements apply).
    • You are a resident who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States, you are not stationed in this state, and you are home on leave for 30 days or less, upon submission of orders.
    • You are hunting wild hog on private land.
    • You are observing or filming someone else who is fishing or hunting and you are not assisting (setting decoys, calling birds, etc.) in the take in any way.
    • You are a disabled veteran or active or reserve duty military service member and his or her immediate family members and an assistant who are participating in a permitted outdoor recreational event, for which the Commission has issued a Military/Disabled Veteran Event License Exemption Permit to the event organizer.

I hate to mention this until I can find out if it is a possibilty, but I am looking to see if I can get you access to an area that I have guest hunted in La Belle, fl. We can bait there and there is 30,000 acres with a lot of game. I think this is more of a possibilty since you want to hunt Hogs and not Deer.

Basic Member
    I wonder if those texans know we have more cattle and cowboys in this state than they do. lol.
    not as many oil rigs though.

the Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
    I hate to mention this until I can find out if it is a possibilty, but I am looking to see if I can get you access to an area that I have guest hunted in La Belle, fl. We can bait there and there is 30,000 acres with a lot of game. I think this is more of a possibilty since you want to hunt Hogs and not Deer.
    that's very generous of you even to offer such a thing. thank you.
    I can't commit to anything yet, any trip would have to be about a year out or more.

That I can definitely understand been working for a year to get our trip to alaska this June scheduled and paid for.

Vince
    I'm headed to Texas for a hog hunt.
    Best place to look is the Chamber of Commerce in various towns.

the Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I'm headed to Texas for a hog hunt.
    Best place to look is the Chamber of Commerce in various towns.
    are you using an outfitter or similar deal? because that's not what I want to do.

Vince
    are you using an outfitter or similar deal? because that's not what I want to do.
    No, I'm leasing a ranch for a day. No hunting license required and the daily lease is $70/Day per person in the hunting party. All 1800 acres is mine to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
    Non resident seniors still need a license. Goes like this for non resident wanting to hunt hogs on a WMA. 10 day hunting license $46.50, WMA permit $26.50. You nust apply for a quota permit to hunt any WMA that is a lottery draw. THere is no hunting on WMA out of season, which coorespondes with Deer season basically. There is NO baiting on a WMA that is what can make specifically targeting Hogs in FL a bit more difficult. Now that said you need NO license to hunt Hogs in FL on private land per FWC page. You do not need a recreational hunting, freshwater fishing or saltwater fishing license or a *Florida waterfowl, migratory bird, deer, turkey, snook, spiny lobster, archery season, crossbow season, muzzleloading season permit or *management area permit if...

• You are a child under 16 years of age (also exempt from federal duck stamp requirements).
    • You are a Florida resident age 65 or older possessing proof of age and residency or possessing a Resident Senior Citizen Hunting and Fishing Certificate. Residents age 65 or older may obtain, at no cost, complimentary hunting and fishing certificates from county tax collectors' offices.
    • You hunt or freshwater fish in your county of residence on your homestead or the homestead of your spouse or minor child, or if you are a minor child hunting or freshwater fishing on the homestead of your parent.
    • You are a Florida resident certified as totally and permanently disabled and you possess a Florida Resident Disabled Person Hunting and Fishing License (hunter safety requirements apply).
    • You are a resident who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States, you are not stationed in this state, and you are home on leave for 30 days or less, upon submission of orders.
    • You are hunting wild hog on private land.
    • You are observing or filming someone else who is fishing or hunting and you are not assisting (setting decoys, calling birds, etc.) in the take in any way.
    • You are a disabled veteran or active or reserve duty military service member and his or her immediate family members and an assistant who are participating in a permitted outdoor recreational event, for which the Commission has issued a Military/Disabled Veteran Event License Exemption Permit to the event organizer.

That makes a lot of sense. Up here in GA and TN hogs have advanced to non-game nuisance status--but for the most part must be taken during a current licensed hunts except on private property--and you still need a license for that unless that property is yours. I have been to La Belle--I recall most of the entire county is privately owned by the brothers who own Oscar Meyer meats or something like that?

I'd be interested in this kind of deal.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    I cannot help much with a place to go, but I can tell you what I do. I trap my hogs and shoot them in the head. After I gut them I haul them home and skin them. After I cut the head off and the hocks, I put them on ice for a few days. This, from what I understand, causes the meat to contract and force the blood out. Drain the water daily and replace the ice as needed. I butterfly the back straps and grind everything I can't cut into steaks. I don't taste a "gamey" taste, it's just different and I like it.

the Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Twostepct View Post
    I cannot help much with a place to go, but I can tell you what I do. I trap my hogs and shoot them in the head. After I gut them I haul them home and skin them. After I cut the head off and the hocks, I put them on ice for a few days. This, from what I understand, causes the meat to contract and force the blood out. Drain the water daily and replace the ice as needed. I butterfly the back straps and grind everything I can't cut into steaks. I don't taste a "gamey" taste, it's just different and I like it.
    thanks for the tips.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twostepct View Post
    That sounds like a pretty savy way to hunt hogs in fl. to me. Id be curious about the traps? Im thinking a hog could be pretty tough to hold in place.
    Or do they give up easily when caught? Ive heard of guys singeing the hide with a prophane torch before skinning due to parrasites.

Basic Member
    The traps are made out of angle iron or square tubing and have what we call hog panels welded up for sides. They are galvanized steel panels that have small rectangle openings on the bottom and they get bigger as they go up. There is a gate that is about half the length of one end that is pulled closed by a heavy spring. When you set it there is a hook that holds the gate open and you set it like you would a spring trap, with very little of the hook holding the gate so it doesn't take much movement to trip it. The hook is connected to a trip cable which is positioned where the corn is poured on the ground. When the root around they trip it and its done. I usually catch two to three at a time.

There are also plans for using only a t post and panels. You can either build a trap with two panels forming a heart and they root and force themselves into the trap via the "v" made by the top of the heart. Yet another is just running the panels and t posts in a circle so that the end overlaps inside of the circle making another v for them to root into and looks like a "6". Either way the ground has to be semi clear so the panel can close behind them.

These only work if you can bait them into the trap. Soured corn works well and I've heard of using corn soured in strawberry coolaid.

Whenever I visit FL I always stop off at the Core 15 AR factory in Ocala which is right next to I 75--I think they also make hog and gator traps.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast