Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: non-resident hog hunt, on the cheap?

the Ranger

non-resident hog hunt, on the cheap?

the wife and I have been talking about it for the last couple years. we live in NW Wisconsin were there are no wild hogs, but would like to try 'em. I have never been to any of the southern states and we generally have to travel on the cheap (motorcycle is a cheap way to travel, we always head west, Blackhills are a long day of travel, the Rockies in 2). but we figure if we could come back with a few coolers full of pork we could justify taking the truck and going in a different direction to see more of the country. not sure when this will actually happen, probably not this year.

the criteria: cheap non-res tags (I hear some states don't charge for hogs), no guide requirement, good hunting on accessable public land, camping nearby.

if you know of a place that fits that, lets here about it.
    if you don't want your spot to broadcast over the internet but are willing to share it with me, you can send a PM.

My first question is have you ever ate Wild Hog. Although a blast to hunt they taste nothing like the pork you buy at the store. Not that they can't be good with the proper prep.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Ranger, I am a cheesehead too and have also always wanted to try it. I know a few guys who have gone to Texas, but they had to pay to do it.

the Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
    My first question is have you ever ate Wild Hog. Although a blast to hunt they taste nothing like the pork you buy at the store. Not that they can't be good with the proper prep.
    that's to be expected, venison doesn't taste like beef after all. no matter, it would be put to good use one way or another.

so i guess if you have advise on butcher and prep of wild hogs, feel free to share that as well.
    Last edited by the Ranger; 03-17-2014 at 11:28 PM.

the Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey262 View Post
    Ranger, I am a cheesehead too and have also always wanted to try it. I know a few guys who have gone to Texas, but they had to pay to do it.
    I see some outfitters advertise free hog hunts, but I assume it's only if you have already payed for another hunt.

a couple of guys I know are headed to Florida to finish their turkey grand slam, they say the area is thick with hogs, not sure exactly were they are going to be. I'd like to hear about other areas also.
    Last edited by the Ranger; 03-17-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the Ranger View Post
    that's to be expected, venison doesn't taste like beef after all. no matter, it would be put to good use one way or another.

so i guess if you advise on butcher and prep of wild hogs, feel free to share that as well.
    Here in Florida Shoot sows for meat and bleed them immediately. Personally I use it for hot/spicy sausage. The WMA's here are generally over run with hogs. That being said our woods are thick nasty hard to hunt and down right dangerous. If I was coming down from up north to do a hog hunt here in Florida and I wanted the meat I would do a Meat hog guided hunt. Very cheap in comparison to a trophy hog hunt. I know of one that guarantees you two shots at a hog up to you to make them count. I want to say it was like $110 a hunter. Meat hogs are around 80#-100#.

Basic Member
    +1 on the Sow. Best Eating. Try making burgers, twice ground with seasoned bread crumbs added. Pretty tasty.

the Ranger
    thick and nasty sounds like what I normally hunt. I assume by dangerous your talking about snakes mostly?

Yes Snakes and not a few I may kill or relocate 10 or 15 (no exaggeration) here at the local WMA in a day of hunting (I don't kill them if I can move them reasonably safely Moccasins are highly aggressive and rarely run off). Snakeboots are a must even though I know lots of guys that don't use them. Hogs in and of themselves can be dangerous in the swampy thick thorn filled areas. Getting lost is another issue. I just don't want you to think you are going to walk out into our woods and stroll down a path, although sitting on a firebreak or restricted access trail can be an effective way to lengthen your kill range. it is funny because you can go from wet nasty swamp to high and dry dusty palmetto field in no time.

the Ranger
    Florida sounds pretty promising. I see there are something like 165 WMA's in Fl, can you tell me which ones have the best hogs and foot access? or maybe what regions are best for hogs?

any other states? I hear maybe Georgia. Texas has abundant hogs, not sure on the laws though. my uncle is in South Carolina and says they have some hogs, not sure how they compare, he doesn't hunt them.

I have hunted and killed hogs regularly in Green swamp, Devil's hammock, Richloam, Steinhatchee, and Flying Eagle. Richloam is the only one of those that you really need a capable 4x4 to just go running around to scout. I don't have access to anything I could set you up on were you could bait them, but if you can get access to private property that will allow you to bait them with sour corn that would up your chances 3 or 4 times as opposed to running around trying to find were they are. they aren't like deer they don't really have a home territory more like they migrate, but they do come back to wallows and such from time to time. I have created some wallows with root n juice successfully but it takes time for them to find it and root out the area and you have to keep applying but you can create your very own "honey hole" that way.

the Ranger
    is baiting not allowed on the WMA's?

No it is not in Florida.

the Ranger
    kinda surprised more have not chimed in here.

Basic Member
    Ive been living as a resident in florida for about 15 years. Although im aware there is good hunting here im really not interested in pursuing it.
    Two things brought me to florida. Those being nice blue skys and sunshine all year, and the best boating and fishing in the country.
    I leave my guns at our camp in pa where i can hunt the way i prefer. If i were an archer id no doubt be more interested in the hunting here in fl.
    As for hogs, im sure they can be fun and good eating. but, i think i'll buy my pork and concentrate on fish.

the Ranger
    i have never liked fish. i'm more of a bacon kind of guy.
    Last edited by the Ranger; 03-26-2014 at 10:20 AM.

LOL Yobuck. The fishing is pretty awesome here. Hunting could be a lot better if we were able to hunt on bait for hogs. I do love archery and pretty much live in the wood s during archery season down here.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
    LOL Yobuck. The fishing is pretty awesome here. Hunting could be a lot better if we were able to hunt on bait for hogs. I do love archery and pretty much live in the wood s during archery season down here.
    The longer i live here the sorrier i am i didnt come here sooner. Like when i was about 18. The op was surprised there werent more responces.
    So i gave my reasons for not responding about hog hunting. I lived in the keys for 9 years before coming to this area.
    Surprisingly many people live there and dont fish, dive, or own a boat. Im sure most people think anyone living there
    would be a diehard fisherman. Youve nailed it with your description of the type terrain we have here. Sitting in a treestand would have more
    appeal than getting cut to schreds walking around.

I have lived in S Louisiana all my life. Snakes, you know when their mad and when to stay away. Cottonmouths are pretty aggressive and downright attack. They don't show that part on TV because you usually carry a 410 with you to take care of them. The rifles are for the gators.

I never have seen a hog in Louisiana until about 3 years ago. I saw my first coyote probably 2 years ago. Since then, I have only seen a total of 5, but friends bring them by for us to see. So we are getting populated. I just have to find a place I can hunt on! Their are 100's of them at Angola which is next to the Mississippi River (south of Natchez). I will probably start looking there.

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    Some of those snakes in the everglades are big enough to eat those hogs whole.
    Thats become a major problem there with people turning loose their "pet" snakes.
    Can you imagine there being guys out there actually hunting those things?

the Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Can you imagine there being guys out there actually hunting those things?
    what, the snakes or the hogs? hunting either sounds fine to me. I'm not gonna try eatin one of those snakes though.

I have actually thought about doing a hunting trip for the Burmese Pythons in the everglades, just for a fun different hunt.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the Ranger View Post
    what, the snakes or the hogs? hunting either sounds fine to me. I'm not gonna try eatin one of those snakes though.
    Be carefull ridin around in hog country on that bike down here. Hitting one of those could put a big hurt on you. I see them dead in numbers along the roads.
    Like a whole pack got wacked at one time.

the Ranger
    not much different than dodging deer here, carcasses litter the road sides. especially now that the snow is starting to melt, you see what has accumulated over the winter. I would bring the pickup down for a hog hunt though, to haul all that pork back home.

I think whackin a python or two would be fine with me.

I have never seen one here in Central Florida, but have a few friends that live down south and they come across them airboating in the everglades from time to time. Any Texans on here that Hog hunt? I would think you would have much more luck on there WMA's because of the distance you could see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast