Thread: where/who to go to to get a blank threaded and chambered

Duff

where/who to go to to get a blank threaded and chambered

considering getting a broughton barrel blank for a .338 project gun. was wondering if y'all know of any good places to look at to get the barrel chambered and threaded to fit the action? i live in Laramie Wyoming and don't know of any smiths around (at least that i would readily trust to get the job done well and in a timely fashion.) I've seen a lot of online places where you send in everything and they ship it back.

sinman
    Duff, I am about 8hrs away from you and offer that kind of service. Send me a pm if you are interested.

Basic Member
    Jim at Apache Gun Works has a good rep here as well.

the Ranger
    plenty of places offering pre-fit barrels for Savages. any reason you want to start with a blank?

Duff
    thanks y'all! sinman ill keep you posted once the time comes to get er done! my reason for not going with a pre-fit is I'm looking for something considered on the "top" heard rumors shilens quality is starting to go down hill a tad, Criterion doesn't offer 338 lapua chambering as far as i know anyways and i just haven't had enough experience with Mcgowen yet. ild love to try out one of their barrels but probably a bit later on down the road. right now I'm looking at Krieger Bartlein and broughton barrels. I'm not 100% committed on anything yet though. theres still a lot i can learn about shooting and definitely a lot to learn about savages!

Duff, read up on Shawn Carlocks website: http://www.defensiveedge.net/

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

sinman
    I made a prefit benchmark for a guy a couple of months ago in 338 lapua that he supplied the blank for, huge improvement over the factory barrel and was shooting in the .2s with initial loads.

Savage6x284
    Earl Hickman out of Colorado Springs does top shelf work and he's very happy to work with you on the chamber reamer design.
    One of the huge advantages of using a blank instead of a prefit is that you can spec your own chamber to suit the bullets you're planning to use at the COAL you need.
    If Earl doesn't have the exact reamer you need he'll order a brand new one which incorporates your specific chamber specs.
    He did exactly this for my 6x284.
    Another huge advantage (for me at least) of a blank is that you can have your 'smith thread it nutless like a Rem 700.

Here's Earl's website.

http://hickmanrifles.com/