Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How important do you think a camo/stock or whole rifle, shotgun is?

Deserthunter

How important do you think a camo/stock or whole rifle, shotgun is?

How important is an either full or partial camo rifle or shotgun is to successful coyote hunting.....

Are the Camo Stocks just pretty or does the coyote notice the difference? I read an article in Predator Extreme several months ago, (3 part, I think), that dealt with what a coyote can and can't see and to be truthful, many of the rifles are only camo'd to us? Wrong? What do you think?

Granted they are beautiful, I have several, but just wonder if some basic breaking up of the lines would be as effective?

Thanks,
    Desert

Basic Member

Re: How important do you think a camo/stock or whole rifle, shotgun is?

Coyotes have no idea what the sillhouette of a rifle means nor do they care about the color. They do have acute vision and will notice anything shiney or the slightest bit reflective, especially if it's moving. If you have the rifle trained on them, they are only seeing the frontal view of the rifle, which is pretty small. The biggest give away is the reflection off a front scope lens and (some over look this)
    the reflection from the inside of the front scope lens cover.
    One of the simplest ways to kill glare is cover your rifle with nylon stockings or a leg of panty hose.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Deserthunter

[img width=600 height=139]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/UtahMike/MY%20Guns%20and%20Camping%20Trips/FirstAtemptatcamoairbrush.jpg[/img]

I tried my hand at camo painting with an old air brush I had around
    -- I read the Predator Extreme article and tried to stay away from Black and Dark Greens, the bad colors, for now just some burlap over the scope should break it up enough.

I dropped it out in the west Desert the other day and had a hard time seeing it... true.ism....Used my Military Tamayia paints air brush Flat Military and 3 colors of Krylon Camo along with one Allumahyde II Matte Clear over coat.... for hardness.

I was asleep when I wrote this last night, lol..

The rifle is an old Remington 700BDL--- in 243win, with a cheap scope on it right now.... I keep it for quick shots while driving on dirt, desert and mountians.....

Basic Member

That is a good picture to learn from. Study the picture and notice the parts of the gun that reflect the flash from the camera. That is what Wiley will see on a bright sunlit day.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Deserthunter

Sharpshooter, like I said, this is my first "stock" camo job.... I purposely didn't do the scope and barreled action until I see if I can do a decent job....

I wonder if just spraying the entire rifle minus the stock with a "flat clear or flat black" would keep the coyote from seeing the rifle or does the scope and barreled action need to be airbrush camo'd also....?

+4 for Sharpshooter
    Color means nothing, reflectivity, and movement are the killers
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

color of your gun is just as important as the label on your pet food!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Deserthunter

So stay away from shinny smelly stuff? I just stole all my wife's pantyhose, think she'll notice? I just don't need to put them on until I'm hunting! lol!

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deserthunter
    So stay away from shinny smelly stuff? I just stole all my wife's pantyhose, think she'll notice? I just don't need to put them on until I'm hunting! lol!

Just make sure to shave your legs first ;D
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Deserthunter

Back to camo questions,

I see a number of Anti-Reflection devices that fit over or in the objective lens, are they effective or is the pantyhose route just as effective and cheaper? How much do they cut down on the amount of light entering the lens?

Basic Member

I've called in and shot yotes from point blank to 250yds. The advice above is spot on. It's movement and non natural glare that will scare them off.

One yote came to me so quick, we literally had a faceoff at about 6ft. I didn't shoot then cause the rifle wasn't in the proper position. After a 2 min staredown he moved out to about 15yds. The rifle was at my shoulder and I was looking through the scope when he stopped for one last look see. It was his last look at anything.

That was a wood stocked, blued rifle, and black matte scope (leaning against the tree). I was in camo head to toe, including a face mask, and I avoided looking right at him during the closeup staredown.

Basic Member

Half of the camo paint jobs and 80% of camo clothing turn black at a distance, especially on a cloudy day. If I could only have one pattern of camo clothing for hunting, it would be Nat Gear. Stay light with your camo and dull anything that shines.

[img width=600 height=386]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/brentwin/001.jpg[/img]

This rifle has had the metal Cerama-Coated and the stock camo'd. After I sealed the stock with several coats of clear, I lightly rubbed it with 4/0 steel wool to kill the shine.

The scope is the only problem and I don't like painting decent scopes, so I wrap a little camo cloth around it.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

BigDog

There is some very good vet type wrap that comes in multiple camo patterns, including snow camo. I wrap in around the barrel, scope and the front half of the rifle. It cuts down on all the glare. It sticks to itself and leaves NO glue on your rifle after taking it off. Yes I will spray paint my Savage 6mmAI once it has a good load worked up for it, never did like the black Tupperware stocks. I read the same article on what coyotes can see and talked to the writer on the issue. Very good article. The camo pattern does not have to be picture perfect as they do not see the details clearly.

Deserthunter

I've also got a couple of rolls of that "Camo Form" in "snow and mossy oak brush", I was extremely disappointed in the product..... They show it so perfect wrapping a rifle, yet it only sticks to itself, not the gun, cutting a opening for the bolt, etc. is a joke.... But I will try it one more time to wrap the barrel and scope, loosely to see if it will work.....

forger

A tip from my grandson, designated sniper for his Marine SPEC OPS unit while in Iraq.
    The scope lens is a reflector, if you have no webbing cloth to stretch across, take some fine grass and make a "birdsnest" in the recessed space the forward lens sets in.

borg

It's very important if you can paint wicked awesome camo.

Deserthunter

I can't paint, but it's f'funnnnn trying......

DonArkie

I think predator, turkey, waterfowl hunt'n it's a must.

Rifleman4910

I make sure the only coyotes that are close enough to see the rifle are already dead. Would not say this for the shotgun users though.

JReed

I have busted plenty of dogs with blued wood stocked guns. That being said it is always fun to personalize ;D

love it

Deserthunter

I haven't finished yet, but

375Win

The straight black barrel is what stands out in the country I hunt, heavy sage. When my partner and I split for a stand I can spot him right away by the black barrel sticking out of the cover, it is tatally forgien to the surroundings. usually the stock is faf enough back and low enough that it can't be spotted from a coyote on the ground.

Wrapping or painting the barrel works well but I do paint the whole rifle because I like the look.

375Win

Deserthunter

I haven't decided weather or not to paint the barrel, however I did have the barrel "bead blasted" to remove the shine out in the sun.... I hope that is enough... I have another rifle, a 700bdl in 243w that I carry behind the pickup set that has a wrapped barrel... http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...e/IMG_0237.jpg

bbradford71

I have been hunting for other 30 years and to this date have never had a Deer, hog, yote, dove, etc thank me for killing them with a camo painted gun instead of a plain ol factory Black synthetic stock or wood stock gun.

I would think unless you are hunting humans, camo is not really important.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast