Thread: How to buy a Savage target action???

Basic Member

How to buy a Savage target action???

I have a situation where I want to buy a Savage Target Action with a 223 bolt head, right bolt, right port (savage part # 18185). These are sold by several internet vendors (Buds, Grabagun etc.) and can also be ordered directly from Savage, so this should be easy, right?

Wrong. The problem is I want to buy an action that has the 'standard' action screw spacing (4.4 inches) and Savage in their infinite wisdom has made this action in both the Palma spacing (3.44 inches) and the standard spacing.

Try 1 - Call Buds and ask if they can check one or two actions to see if they have one with 4.4 inch spacing in stock. Result - Response from Buds is that they cannot check what they have in inventory since the shipping is done from a distributor so they do not have access to the actions before they are shipped.

Try 2 - Call Savage and ask if I can order an action directly from them with the 4.4 inch spacing. - Result - Response from Savage (both in email and on phone) is that they cannot check what they have in inventory since the shipping is done from a distributor so they do not have access to the actions before they are shipped. They keep saying 'if you provide us with a serial number we can check what spacing they have'. To which I said 'I do not have a serial number since I am trying to purchase this product. Could you, as the manufacturer, selling this product to me, somehow produce a serial number of one of these actions you have in stock ahead of time so I can know what I am buying?'. Answer - no.

Try 3 - Contact two other internet vendors to ask them if they would be able to look at the item to either verify the action screw spacing, or provide a serial number so I can verify the spacing with Savage before placing the order. No response from either.

Unfortunately Northlands does not have this action in stock. I know they would be able to provide me with the information since they actually have the physical items prior to making the sale.

Does anyone have any tips for how to procure one of these actions, knowing with certainty what action spacing it will have?

The target and LRPV actions have the 4.4" bolt spacing you desire. Call Fred at SSS.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I bought two lprb. they have the 4.4 bolt spacing

Basic Member
    sd, where did you buy them if you don't mind me asking?

My factory stock LRPV RBLP .223 has the Palma spacing (3.44 inches) so I believe their is no standard, my dual port action also has the same palma spacing as well

sinman
    buy the palma spacing and add a hole.

northlander
    I do have the RB/RP Target Actions on the shelf. Mine all have the 4.41" spacing. They also all have the .473 bolt face. This may not be a bad way to go as you can always swap out the bolt head and make it into the .378 bolt head needed for the 204/223 calibers. The big plus is you are always just one bolt head swap away from all those .473 bolt head calibers.

Jim Briggs
    NSS

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by northlander View Post
    I do have the RB/RP Target Actions on the shelf. Mine all have the 4.41" spacing. They also all have the .473 bolt face. This may not be a bad way to go as you can always swap out the bolt head and make it into the .378 bolt head needed for the 204/223 calibers. The big plus is you are always just one bolt head swap away from all those .473 bolt head calibers.

Jim Briggs
    NSS
    Thanks Jim. I have already built a 308 rifle with the 18184 RB/RP target action (I bought a Shilen barrel from you for it, it is great) so I am looking to build another one in 223.

Are the 18184 and 18185 identical in terms of dimensions with the exception of the bolt head? If so, how does one procure just a bolt head and what would it entail to switch the bolthead on a bolt?

These 3 Savage FAQ articles should tell you what you want to know.

Bolt Tear Down

Extractor Removal/Install

Ejector removal/Install

The only difference in a RB/RP 4.41" spaced Target Action with a .473" vs. a .378" bolt head is just that, a different bolt head.
    You can often buy the bolt heads from Midway, Brownells (I think), or possibly from Savage if you can get them to let you if you sign their liability waiver. PT&G also makes aftermarket bolt heads that I am told are high quality.

If it were me I would become a Paid Member here and put up a WTB thread in the classifieds, I would be willing to bet that another member here would trade you a .378"-SA head for the .473"-SA head that will come on that action.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Quote Originally Posted by overthere View Post
    sd, where did you buy them if you don't mind me asking?
    Sorry to get back to your question so late. I bought mine from a friend who owns a small gun shop in the hills of Virginia. He made mention that he had ordered a target action for someone. I ask if he could get the lp/rb setup with the .378 and the .473 bolt. He called the next day with both. Now I am wanting a dual port. Never satisfied! I know that didnt help but thats how I got mine.