Thread: 17 HH owners, Anyone fire forming 22 hornet brass to 17 HH?

leo158

17 HH owners, Anyone fire forming 22 hornet brass to 17 HH?

I read a few articles and have seen mixed thoughts. Some says it is easy and all need is the 22H brass and others say there is more to it than just run through 17HH dies? Also said depends on 22H manufacturers becuse of neck thickness. Thanks Dan

stimpylu32
    leo

Don't have a 17 so not much help there , however I do own a hand full of 22 hornets & K-Hornets and can attest to the neck thickness being all over the map . That and with the hornet brass being thin and soft I can see loosing a bunch trying to down size 22 to 17 .

Best bet is just buy 17 brass to start with , more range time and less headaches .

stimpy

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leo158 View Post
    I read a few articles and have seen mixed thoughts. Some says it is easy and all need is the 22H brass and others say there is more to it than just run through 17HH dies? Also said depends on 22H manufacturers becuse of neck thickness. Thanks Dan
    I couldn't find 17HH or 22 Hornet brass, so I bought some PRVI 22 hornet ammo and pulled bullets/dumped powder and deprimed. I lost 3 out of 5 just trying the 17HH dies and the 2 I had left cracked while fireforming.

The bullberry sizing die fixed one of my problems when I necked the case down and annealing the case before loading solved the cracks I was getting when I fireformed. I have to trim the length a bit so they will load in my cz527 before fireforming

Basic Member

Bottom to top, 22 hornet factory, deprimed case that has been necked down to .22 and .19- you can see the necking caused by each die, then the loaded fireform round, and the end result