Thread: Scope mount on .223 receiver

lopeha

Scope mount on .223 receiver

Working on mounting a Nitrex TR-1 on my new .223 & am running into problems. I am using Weaver 46M, P/N 48502 base mounts & Weaver 49046 1" Medium Quad Lock rings. The problem is the rings are too far apart to allow proper clamping to the tube. What part did I buy wrong? A newbie at bolt action rifles so please be patient. Want to get it set up so I can start shooting it in. Thanks in advance, Andy.

cranebird
    Look into a 1 piece Weaver base. The part number is 48347. Also I think you might want to look into a set of high rings instead of the medium. Even with the weaver quad lock high rings, my bolt handle will rub on the lens cover of my scope if I am lifting all the way up while pulling the bolt back. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by cranebird; 03-15-2014 at 01:19 PM.

lopeha
    Yes it will. Thanks!

n4ue
    I use either the Weaver one piece or the EGW one piece. If you look, the EGW is a bit taller than the Weaver. That might give you a little more bolt clearance.

ron

lopeha
    Thanks n4ue

lopeha
    Ordered an EGW 1 piece base tonight from the Tactical Store - $35.99 shipped. Thanks to all for the info.

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by lopeha View Post
    Ordered an EGW 1 piece base tonight from the Tactical Store - $35.99 shipped. Thanks to all for the info.
    Thanks for starting the thread. I learned something new and will be ordering a EGW base for my next Axis.

Jay24bal
    I switched scopes on my Axis a little while back and ran into the same problem you did. My original scope had a longer tube than the new one so I needed a one-piece base to allow for a narrowing placing of the rings. I went with the EGW and it has been great. I did have to cut off about 1/3" though as the tube was so short the ocular bell was hitting the end of the rail. After that modification, I was good to go.

lopeha
    Thanks Jay, I'll remember that

Basic Member
    If you want to stay 2pc. you can use Weaver #402 extended base. It moves the ring about 5/8 in.

lopeha
    The EGW base came in te mail today & the scope is now mounted. Also put it in the new Boyd's Prairie Hunter Nutmeg stock. Next weekend is time to start shooting it in![IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    That looks nice. I think I like that Prairie Hunter. And I'm generally not a fan of laminates, but I like Boyd's Nutmeg.

nnyrebel13
    I ordered the weaver one piece base for mine for the same problem you are having. I got mine thru Amazon because I couldn't find one locally. I still couldn't bring the scope back far enough to get the eye relief I needed so I filed off in the raised piece in front of the first slot so I could bring the bell of the scope back a little more.

REDTAIL
    Check out the DNZ one piece mount & rings.? Midway USA & other vendors carry them & also check out the DNZ web site & their videos etc. this is the mount that I will be putting on all of my future rifles etc.

Basic Member
    I have always used the Weaver extended front base (402) on all long action Savages, because of the short scope tube problem. On short action Savages a pair of #46 bases works fine. BTW lopeha, I am going to put the same stock on my lefty Axis as soon as my wallet recovers from my daughter's wedding. I love the look of that rifle in the nutmeg stock.