Thread: Rifle scope to spotting scope adapter

Basic Member

Rifle scope to spotting scope adapter

Sometimes I want to use a rifle scope as a spotting scope, so here is an adapter for external adjustable scopes-regular and posa mounts; and internally adjustable scopes with Weaver style rings. The messy Weaver mounts are my fault. Steve put my name on it to attach blame.
    Adapter very nicely made by:
    Steve Earle Products Inc.
    24 Palmer Rd.
    Plympton, MA 02367

I have pix, can't post here, can't figure out how. Will a knowledgable pix poster PM me? I'll send pix for posting.
    This is a VERY handy adapter.
    Thanks;
    joe b.

Basic Member
    You'll have to use photobucket, or flickr etc to host, then post the preformatted link to the thread here. The formatted link will look like [img]yourpictureurl.com[/img]
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

upload pic to imgur.com
    copy image link
    clean up link
    so it looks like
    http://www.imgur.com/mypic.jpg

click on insert pic and paste link

no a/c on imgur needed
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    This is beyond me and why I'm asking for help.

thomae

Basic Member
    I did. What can it possibly mean?

here go Joe,

newbie from gr, mi.

I like it!
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    I guess im on a different page here so help me out. Whats the purpose?
    i meam if its for use as a spotter forget it.
    spend an hour with either and especially the old lyman and you will be cross eyed.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    I guess im on a different page here so help me out. Whats the purpose?
    i meam if its for use as a spotter forget it.
    spend an hour with either and especially the old lyman and you will be cross eyed.
    I can put a 30X STS on it and use it for a 4 hour shooting session. Or, Weaver T36. I'm not cross eyed. If you don't like it, just don't look.

buxman66
    Well by golly, I like it!

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=joeb33050;250649]I can put a 30X STS on it and use it for a 4 hour shooting session. Or, Weaver T36. I'm not cross eyed. If you don't like it, just don't look.[/QUO
    If you put those scopes on the gun, you wouldn't need no stinkin' adapter....
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    When I shoot gun A I can see through the sights of gun A. If gun A has a 4X scope, or iron sights, I can't see the bullet holes on the target. THEN I put the scope from gun B on the adapter, and see the bullet holes with Scope B. Do ya get it now?

KRP
    Quote Originally Posted by joeb33050 View Post
    When I shoot gun A I can see through the sights of gun A. If gun A has a 4X scope, or iron sights, I can't see the bullet holes on the target. THEN I put the scope from gun B on the adapter, and see the bullet holes with Scope B. Do ya get it now?
    I don't get it.

Basic Member
    This would be a cheaper way to provide a mil or MOA reticle for your spotters view. Last I checked on spotting scopes with a reticle they aren't cheap. But it is definitely nice if using a spotter that they can provide accurate info.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRP View Post
    I don't get it.
    I'm on your side!

I made a bench mount for my spotting scope similar to this but using the head from an old tripod for adjustment.

I'll clamp it on the left side of the bench, shoot, tilt my head to the left, take a peek through the spotter with my left peeper and go back to shooting without moving my butt off the stool.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    What is it that you don't get? I go to the range with a pistol and rifle/Weaver T36. I shoot the rifle, see the holes with T36. Then shoot the pistol, iron sights. Can't see the holes. Take the T36 off the rifle, put it on the adapter/tripod, and I can see the pistol bullet holes on the target. Do you get it now?

Quote Originally Posted by KRP View Post
    I don't get it.

Basic Member
    I dont think anyone is saying your setup wont work for what your using it for. i also dont think anyone is saying joe didnt do a nice job
    on the machine work. Point is a regular spotting scope would do a better job for spotting bullet holes and would be easier to use.
    Another thing is that old lyman is a valuable item in todays world. Check on ebay as to what old target scopes like that are selling for
    and it might shock you. Same goes for the t36 weaver. It could be far more valuable to someone else than to you for what your using it for.
    An older bausch&lomb or bushnell spotter can be bought on ebay for about $100 and would be both easier and better than what your using.

KRP
    Quote Originally Posted by joeb33050 View Post
    What is it that you don't get? I go to the range with a pistol and rifle/Weaver T36. I shoot the rifle, see the holes with T36. Then shoot the pistol, iron sights. Can't see the holes. Take the T36 off the rifle, put it on the adapter/tripod, and I can see the pistol bullet holes on the target. Do you get it now?
    No, still don't get it. I understand you're using it for spotting, but why take it off the rifle?

bflee
    I dont get it either. Seems like a good way to mess up a scope by putting it on and taking it off. I see what you are doing but I dont know why.

Basic Member
    How about because I don't have a spotting scope with me? Here's a better question: Why am I answering you?

Basic Member
    Tell you what joe that old lyman would bring you $300 or more on ebay even though the recoil spring is missing.
    Life would be easier for you if you sold that and used a small portion of the money to buy a spotter. Then you would be able to use the spotter
    for other things also. like spying on your neibor in her bikini, maybe even checking out birds and other wildlife.

bflee
    I get using the scope for a spotter. I just dont get taking it off the rifle. I am not condemning the practice or anything, i just wondered why you wouldnt just put the rifle on a bipod. Didnt mean to offend you or anything.

thomae
    OP showed what he had, others gave their opinion, OP doesn't like the responses and is starting to get testy.
    Thread closed before I have to start issuing infractions for rudeness.