Thread: AR 500 steel target questions

Basic Member

AR 500 steel target questions

I enjoy shooting steel targets. I am in the process of starting to stretch out my 308 and get into some midrange shooting (300-500 yards). Ultimately I want to go farther out than that. I need help deciding what AR500 steel target to start with. I see the IPSC targets in varying sizes (50%, 66%, etc) and then I see the various size gong targets. I want a target large enough to allow hits and be able to see if I'm low or high or whatever, but not so big as to reward me with NOISE after each shot.. I have a welder and enough fabrication skills to build a target stand, I really would like advice on choosing a steel target... Thanks in advance.

broncbob
    Bigger is better when the range gets longer unless you have a good spot to see your misses. (think dirt berm right behind the target) With out a dirt splash you will be clueless as to what correction to make if you miss. You should be painting your steel often to see where your hits are. Or hopefully your spotter, this gets to be a bigger deal when the range stretches out, and you have no splash to make calls with. You can call misses with the vapor trail!

I use a 8" round over a 16"x16" square, I also use a full size Q target. When we go past 1k we use a 24"x24" plate. All of these are 3/8" AR500.

The thing to remember when your making your stands it to let the target swing. It's easier on the steel and makes seeing hit easier with target movement.

Basic Member
    If you shoot 700-1000 yards with a 308, you don't need AR500. Just don't let your buddy with the 338 Lapua shoot.

Check out WWW.thetargetman.com he makes all shapes and sizes and even has stands at very reasonable prices. Best I have ever seen anyway and he is willing to do custom cuts as well if needed. I ordered some custom cut targets for our monthly prairie dog match and they work great.

Basic Member
    I use a 10" round AR500 plate at 500 yds. Here's a tip...paint it white. That makes seeing your hits real easy. I like the 10" because that equates to 2 MOA, which helps me learn the corrections for my rifle/load in various wind conditions. As mentioned, a dirt berm behind the target is needed to see your misses.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]